Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

I don't think anyone has ever made it work consistently being it's an intel chip and not really supported in Mojave. You can try and search the thread and or wait for a reply by another user. If you really want bluetooth spring for a USB dongle that works with osx.
I've also tried with an usb dongle, WiFi + Bluetooth, and the WiFi works instead the Bluetooth doesn't.

I've also tried with an usb dongle, WiFi + Bluetooth, and the WiFi works instead the Bluetooth doesn't.
That's a whole other issue....not familiar with a single dongle that does both and is compatible. I used an Asus bluetooth adapter and it worked fine. No drivers or kexts needed.

Hey guys, I just got a NUC8i5BEH. I put 16 GB of ram and a 500GB SSD.
I have built desktop hackintoshes before, but this is a different beast. Can you point me to the easiest step by step guide to installing Mojave on a NUC.
Many thanks in advance. By the way, I tried creating an install USB with Mojave, but it won’t boot. I get the Clover boot screen, but it hangs after it gets to the end of the long white install line below the white Apple logo.

Hey guys, I just got a NUC8i5BEH. I put 16 GB of ram and a 500GB SSD.
I have built desktop hackintoshes before, but this is a different beast. Can you point me to the easiest step by step guide to installing Mojave on a NUC.
Many thanks in advance. By the way, I tried creating an install USB with Mojave, but it won’t boot. I get the Clover boot screen, but it hangs after it gets to the end of the long white install line below the white Apple logo.
See post 903

To new users trying to load Mojave on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave install window.

1. An updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 4290 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once Mojave install is complete and you have then installed an updated version of Clover to your hard drive replace the EFI folder on your hard drive with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts). Cheers

Edit: If you have issues with crackling sound from the headphone jack several users have reported success installing all kexts, with the exception of FakeSMC.kext, to the Library/Extensions folder. Audio over HDMI and the headphone jack both should work. (You can probably install all of kexts there, including FakeSMC.kext, if you prefer)

Updated EFI with Clover Version 5018 7/22/19

I created a USB installer using Unibeast. I then copied the recommended EFI folder and replaced the one created by Unibeast.
When I boot from the USB, the Clover boot loader appears, but there is no option for MacOS on the USB.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

What does show?

I created a USB installer using Unibeast. I then copied the recommended EFI folder and replaced the one created by Unibeast.
When I boot from the USB, the Clover boot loader appears, but there is no option for MacOS on the USB.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

UPDATE
My problem was I didn't copy the EFI folder over correctly. Once I fixed that it booted and I completed the install.
The install went perfectly.
Many thanks to Leesureone for his updated EFI folder.
It worked great!
Thanks guys!

UPDATE
My problem was I didn't copy the EFI folder over correctly. Once I fixed that it booted and I completed the install.
The install went perfectly.
Many thanks to Leesureone for his updated EFI folder.
It worked great!
Thanks guys!

Hey guys, turns out I do have a minor problem.
On my internal boot SSD I somehow have an old version of Clover (4813) and it won't boot.
On my install USB I have Clover version 5018. The latest version of Clover is 5058.
I have to use the install USB to boot the SSD.
How can I install a newer version of Clover without messing up my install, because once it boots it runs awesome.
Which version of Clover should I install?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys, turns out I do have a minor problem.
On my internal boot SSD I somehow have an old version of Clover (4813) and it won't boot.
On my install USB I have Clover version 5018. The latest version of Clover is 5058.
I have to use the install USB to boot the SSD.
How can I install a newer version of Clover without messing up my install, because once it boots it runs awesome.
Which version of Clover should I install?
Thanks!

Ok, so what I did was I copied the EFI folder from the USB to the Internal SSD.
I mounted the EFI partitions first using Clover Configurator.
After I copied the EFI folder from the USB to the Internal SSD, I removed the USB drive and rebooted.
It booted up properly with Clover 5018 and everything looks good.
Did I do the right thing?
Is there anything else I need to do?
Also, can I sign in to my Apple account or do I need to generate a unique serial number first?

Thanks again!
Len

Last edited:
Ok, so what I did was I copied the EFI folder from the USB to the Internal SSD.
I mounted the EFI partitions first using Clover Configurator.
After I copied the EFI folder from the USB to the Internal SSD, I removed the USB drive and rebooted.
It booted up properly with Clover 5018 and everything looks good.
Did I do the right thing?
Is there anything else I need to do?
Also, can I sign in to my Apple account or do I need to generate a unique serial number first?

Thanks again!
Len
You did well! Generate a serial number first and then log in to Apple.

Back