Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

@Leesureone:
Wake/Sleep seems to work (Display shuts of and the blue power light flashes. If I press any key the Desktop shows again)
I have an ethernet adapter on the USBc port. In the system report it shows up to 5Gb/s, but I'm not sure if this is a theoretical readout, or if it is actually a measured value. Could you confirm either of these possibilities? I currently don't have any other USBc Device to test or compare to.

I think there was a misunderstanding regarding the SSDT. When following Rehabman's guide in this thread's first post (as I did), you will end up patching the SSDT according to your NUC model, which is why I posted the model number (it happens to contain the number of processors). If you look at Rehabman's NUC SSDT repository, the NUC8 SSDT will incorporate SSDT-USB-NUC8-BC.dsl with all USB ports assigned individually except for the internal ports. When I tried to add them manually I basically corrupted seemingly unrelated ports. (On my previous clean hackintosh install it seemed to work, but I was somehow wrong... I still don't know why.)

Thanks for your help so far. I'm basically going by trial and error so far..

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 76
You are the first one to report this as far as I am aware. Did you enable "Legacy Boot" in the bios? I don't think it is a bios related issue regardless.

I did enable that option, yes. Without it I could not boot the installer. One thing I never mentioned is I used an APFS partition. Would that make a difference?

@Leesureone:
Wake/Sleep seems to work (Display shuts of and the blue power light flashes. If I press any key the Desktop shows again)
I have an ethernet adapter on the USBc port. In the system report it shows up to 5Gb/s, but I'm not sure if this is a theoretical readout, or if it is actually a measured value. Could you confirm either of these possibilities? I currently don't have any other USBc Device to test or compare to.

I think there was a misunderstanding regarding the SSDT. When following Rehabman's guide in this thread's first post (as I did), you will end up patching the SSDT according to your NUC model, which is why I posted the model number (it happens to contain the number of processors). If you look at Rehabman's NUC SSDT repository, the NUC8 SSDT will incorporate SSDT-USB-NUC8-BC.dsl with all USB ports assigned individually except for the internal ports. When I tried to add them manually I basically corrupted seemingly unrelated ports. (On my previous clean hackintosh install it seemed to work, but I was somehow wrong... I still don't know why.)

Thanks for your help so far. I'm basically going by trial and error so far..
You would have to check yourself with some other device to check through put but it seems to be functioning. I did understand what you meant regarding the SSDT, my post may not have been clear though. All I was saying is the SSDT-USB-NUC8-BC.dsl that the script makes seems to be universal for all the NUC8 models and if you don't need the internal headers working then its fine as is.

You do use the internal headers and so modifying it is necessary, as others have done, and there are a couple of ways to do that. I'd think I would start from scratch and there are several ways to do that.

Last edited:
I did enable that option, yes. Without it I could not boot the installer. One thing I never mentioned is I used an APFS partition. Would that make a difference?
Only in the drivers needed by Clover, anything after Mojave 14.2 requires the APFS file system, that driver is included in my EFI folder so that’s not it.

Last edited:
A little NUC help required.

So everything works ok on my NUC8i7BEH v1 and the OS is installed. I had an issue some others seem to have had with HDMI but using usb-c to HDMI fixed the glitching. I used Unibeast to create a Mojave install stick and replaced the EFI folder as per the easy build suggestion from Leesureone.

However, I am still having to boot from the USB installer stick and select "Boot from mydisk" where mydisk is the NVMe hard drive. Boots up no problem.

When I try and do the same thing without the USB stick I get the Clover screen and select boot from mydisk and it starts to load but never completes even though the progress bar gets to 100% if left long enough.

How do I get that same USB stick config onto the hard drive? I have tried using Multibeast to install UEFI boot loader, but it doesn't change anything.

Any help appreciated.

A little NUC help required.

So everything works ok on my NUC8i7BEH v1 and the OS is installed. I had an issue some others seem to have had with HDMI but using usb-c to HDMI fixed the glitching. I used Unibeast to create a Mojave install stick and replaced the EFI folder as per the easy build suggestion from Leesureone.

However, I am still having to boot from the USB installer stick and select "Boot from mydisk" where mydisk is the NVMe hard drive. Boots up no problem.

When I try and do the same thing without the USB stick I get the Clover screen and select boot from mydisk and it starts to load but never completes even though the progress bar gets to 100% if left long enough.

How do I get that same USB stick config onto the hard drive? I have tried using Multibeast to install UEFI boot loader, but it doesn't change anything.

Any help appreciated.

Boot to the desktop and then use EFI Mounter or Clover Configurator to mount the hard drives EFI portion. From there just copy the EFI folder from your USB drive over to the hard drive EFI partition. Reboot and should be good. Basically you are repeating the steps you did to create your USB boot drive.

Last edited:
Just updated Bios to BE0073.bio - Nothing to complain...

Code:
New Fixes/Features:
WinBond
Macronix
GigaDevice
W25Q128JVSIQ
MX25L12873FM2I-10G
GD25B127DSIGR
                                                16MB (3.3V)
                                                16MB (3.3V)
                                                16MB (3.3V)
Files:
• Fixed issue: Keeping monitor off when WOL
• Fixed issue: Thunderbolt Hot-plugging doesn't work when you use
      Legacy in the BIOS.
• Fixed issue: Blue USB 3.0 port have 5V every time when system AC
      power turn on/turn off.
• Updated Microcode to version MC0806EA_0000009D_000000B4.pdb.
• Remove the option “SW Control” on “RGB LED” and “Button LED”
items.

Thunderbolt hotplug still not working..

Power down issue: Since I have the NUC8i7BEH I have the issue that after a Shutdown the system powers itself on after about 1-2 minutes... Any idea?
BIOS is set to do not power on after power failure...

Another issue is that the NUC completely freezes when I go to:
System Preferences > Mission Control > click the "Hot Corners" button. No Panic, nothing happens - it just freezes everything (no icmp ping response either)

Back