Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

Motherboard
Asus Rog Strix Z390 Gaming E
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
does anyone know if Open Core 5.9 is coming out soon? I believe they usually update at the end of the month.
You can compile your own version of 5.9 right now by going to the Acidanthera GitHub page and cloning the OpenCore home page. It’s not the release version but you can try it out.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z390-AORUS Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 590
Updated with no issues on my NUC7I5BNH using Leesureone's OC5.8 EFI .
apparently apple introduced a bug at the very end of 10.5.5 beta testing which caused carbon copy cloner and super duper to no longer work properly. there is a beta version of CCC available, not sure about super duper. see the carbon copy cloner website for an explanation.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
apparently apple introduced a bug at the very end of 10.5.5 beta testing which caused carbon copy cloner and super duper to no longer work properly. there is a beta version of CCC available, not sure about super duper. see the carbon copy cloner website for an explanation.
Looks like as of today CCCloner has released a final update that addresses the change. It’s a great program for copying or backing up.

Motherboard
Intel NUC7i5BNH
CPU
i5-7260U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Backed up with SuperDuper and got no errors.

Motherboard
GA-Z390-AORUS Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 590
Backed up with SuperDuper and got no errors.
try booting from your backup. the bug in 10.15.5 doesn't cause the backup program to fail. but the backup produced by SuperDuper, unless they have released an update in the last couple of days like CCC has, won't boot.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
try booting from your backup. the bug in 10.15.5 doesn't cause the backup program to fail. but the backup produced by SuperDuper, unless they have released an update in the last couple of days like CCC has, won't boot.
Usually the programs backup everything except the EFI partition. All that means it you have to add it back in, same as the first time, but it won't fix the APFS bug.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i7BEH NUC8i5BEH NUC5i7RYH
CPU
i7-8559U i5-8259 i7-5557
Graphics
Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655
Usually the programs backup everything except the EFI partition. All that means it you have to add it back in, same as the first time, but it won't fix the APFS bug.
I've had success with Acronis True image, it does copy EFI. Had issues initially, as it cannot clone catalina under Mojave. Catalina needs to be installed in order to clone Catalina.

Motherboard
Intel NUC7i5BNH
CPU
i5-7260U
Graphics
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks for the heads up, it seems I am OK as I am using SmartCopy on SuperDuper on an already created Catalina volume, but if I were to create a new one then I would have issues due to the APFS bug. Here is an excerpt of what is said in the SuperDuper Blog.

"In this case, Apple has broken the ability to make new firmlinks. It's utterly unclear why they broke this capability, but they did. And that makes new and erased SuperDuper! backups unbootable.

Note, though (and this is important): Smart Updates of previous Catalina volumes continue to work properly."

Hopefully they will be with a new version of SuperDuper that workaround this issue.

Motherboard
Intel NUC8I5BEH
CPU
Intel> Need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
Intel version # > See Rules!
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Thanks to Leesureone I was easily able to install catalina on my nuc 8i5beh, so far it works very well. I used OC 8.5-2 Efi folder. Internal bluetooth works well, for wifi I used a spare Tp-link 823N V2 usb adapter. It only took installing the driver from Chis1111 github page. I would like to ask if its possible to disable verbose when booting . I tried clover configurator to disable verbose but -v wasn't even enabled.