Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

To new users trying to load Mojave or Catalina on an NUC8x please be aware this guide is no longer being maintained.
With recent bios updates being pushed out by Intel above version 56 as well as updates by Apple to Mojave beyond 14.2 the guide has become outdated and no longer works as is.

Two additional things are needed at a minimum to be able to reach the Mojave or Catalina install window.

1. An updated version of the Clover bootloader must be installed, I suggest version 5107 or higher, although slightly older versions will probably work but have not been tested. Rehabman’s version available through the terminal commands in his original guide on Github will cause the installer to halt.

2. An updated config.plist containing an ACPI/DSDT/Patch for an RTC issue that will also cause the installer to stall if your bios is a version higher than 56

***Some users are also apparently unaware that their Samsung 970 EVO plus SSD will also cause install failure if the firmware is not updated first. Visit the Samsung Website for instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive for firmware updates.

The attached EFI folder has all of the above as well as some fixes for onboard Audio and USB C functionality and Bluetooth.

If you decide to use it it’s as simple as creating a bootable USB drive using UniBeast, mounting the invisible EFI partition on the USB drive and then replacing the EFI folder with the attached.

Once OSX install is complete repeat the process of mounting the EFI folder on your hard drive and again replace the EFI folder with the same attached folder to finish the job. Afterwards I highly suggest you use Clover Configurator to create a unique serial number for working iCloud and iMessage (although “continuity” is not an issue unless you have gone the route of adding a Wireless/ Bluetooth card in the one available M2 slot with the appropriate adapter mentioned in various NUC posts).
Being you are creating a Hackintosh be aware even if you have the exact same model there can be issues. I do not have all the answers and am not at the level of the moderators but will try to help you sort out whatever. Cheers and good luck.

Edit: If you are installing Mojave and have issues with crackling sound from the headphone jack several users have reported success installing all kexts, with the exception of FakeSMC.kext, to the Library/Extensions folder. Audio over HDMI and the headphone jack both should work. This will not work in Catalina but you can change the Layout ID using Hackintool as described here by JayMonkey
an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063

EFI History
Updated NUC8EFICatClover and EFINUC7Cat15.4 with Clover Version 5107, Catalina 10.15.4 Ready 3/27/20
Also Added Updated OpenCore 5.6
3/23/20 Added Intel Bluetooth kext to both OC and Clover Versions
4/9/20 Added Simplified NUC8 OC5.7 version, everything works except Wireless and Card Reader. Catalina Tested
4/11/20 Added NUC7 OC5.7. Testing still needed but I think everything except wireless is working
5/5/20 Added NUC8 OC5.8 with USB set to enable internal headers. Please test and report back
6/3/20 Added NUC8 OC5.9 No Internal Headers
6/5/20 Added NUC7 OC5.9 No Internal Headers
6/5/20 Added NUC10 i7 and NUC10 i5 basic OC 5.9 EFI folders

Hi, thank you so much for your dedication to this platform. Any chance you can write a migration post from Clover to OC?, I am trying to cross the border but I am a bit confused. Can any of you guys point me to the right direction?
How does one replace the existing clover EFI with OC?

Hi, thank you so much for your dedication to this platform. Any chance you can write a migration post from Clover to OC?, I am trying to cross the border but I am a bit confused. Can any of you guys point me to the right direction?
How does one replace the existing clover EFI with OC?
It's relatively easy, first make sure you have a working boot disk with clover, then mount the EFI Partition on it and delete the EFI folder there, empty the trash, and copy and paste the appropriate EFI folder from page 90 of this thread. Boot off the USB drive and make sure everything is working to your satisfaction. IF it is then repeat the process but this time with your hard drive as the target. More documentation is here: https://github.com/khronokernel/Opencore-Vanilla-Desktop-Guide/blob/master/AMD/AMD-USB-map.md

Well, I know there has been a lot of work done with AMD GPUs, Whatevergreen and DRM but a far as IGPUs we are out of luck. There is no work around for us as far as I know.
Thanks for the clarification.. on what are the current limits

• DRM requires a supported dGPU
  • DRM is broken for iGPU-only systems
    • These have never worked with Haswell and newer
    • For Ivy Bridge, this could be fixed with Shiki (now WhateverGreen) til 10.12.2, but broke with 10.12.3

These are the types of DRM according to the OC Developers

FairPlay 1.x: Software based DRM, used for supporting legacy Macs more easily

• Easiest way to test this is by playing an iTunes movie
    • FairPlay 1.x trailers will work on any configuration if WhateverGreen is properly set up - including iGPU-only configurations. However, FairPlay 1.x movies will only play on iGPU-only configurations for around 3-5 seconds, erroring that HDCP is unsupported afterwards.
FairPlay 2.x/3.x: Hardware based DRM, found in Netflix, Amazon Prime

• There's a couple ways to test:
    • Play a show in Netflix or Amazon Prime
    • Play an Amazon Prime trailer
      • Trailer itself does not use DRM but Amazon still checks before playing
  • Note: Requires newer AMD GPU to work (Polaris+)
FairPlay 4.x: Mixed DRM, found on AppleTV+

• You can open TV.app, choose TV+ -> Free Apple TV+ Premieres, then click on any episode to test without any trial (you do need an iCloud account)
  • Apple TV+ also has a free trial if you want to use it
  • Note: Requires either an absent iGPU (Xeon) or newer AMD GPU to work (Polaris+)
    • Possible to force FairPlay 1.x when iGPU is absent

It's relatively easy, first make sure you have a working boot disk with clover, then mount the EFI Partition on it and delete the EFI folder there, empty the trash, and copy and paste the appropriate EFI folder from page 90 of this thread. Boot off the USB drive and make sure everything is working to your satisfaction. IF it is then repeat the process but this time with your hard drive as the target. More documentation is here: https://github.com/khronokernel/Opencore-Vanilla-Desktop-Guide/blob/master/AMD/AMD-USB-map.md
I have finally done it, thank you :) I know the steps were very straight-forward like you said but damn I was still so scared.
I have an upcoming monitor that uses USB-C that I tested with Clover and worked successfully. Is the OC5.9 version suffering any issues related to USB-C? Should I downgrade to 5.8?

I have finally done it, thank you :) I know the steps were very straight-forward like you said but damn I was still so scared.
I have an upcoming monitor that uses USB-C that I tested with Clover and worked successfully. Is the OC5.9 version suffering any issues related to USB-C? Should I downgrade to 5.8?
It should work fine as is, let me know if you have an issue though.

It should work fine as is, let me know if you have an issue though.
The USB-C has no issue, I have a very weird issue since Clover days and still exist till my OC-conversion today.
I can confirm the following things:
When first plugging the headphone jack in (fresh boot), the audio works fine, input changed to Line In and picks up headphone voice.
When unplugging and replugging, the audio cracks, input changes to microphone array. Any time of replugging after that does not change anything.
So far, I have changed many layout IDs according to the list, none worked except your original layout ID. Interestingly, when using Linux, my layout is realtek 233 instead of 235 like it appeared in Hackintool.
Not to mention, when the input bar of Line In is set to half (default), the actual input volume is so small that the bar would not even blink.

I have my monitor connected via TB (nuc8) to USB C (monitor input) and audio thru the monitor ... But its a hit or miss if I get audio out ...

B4618431-1C71-496E-BF6E-50EC141429F8.jpeg

The LG HDR WQHD Displayport output would just disappear and maybe appear on the next reboot..

And suggestions ? I am on OC 59

Thanks

Last edited:
I have my monitor connected via TB (nuc8) to USB C (monitor input) and audio thru the monitor ... But its a hit or miss if I get audio out ...

..View attachment 474424

The LG HDR WQHD Displayport output would just disappear and maybe appear on the next reboot..

And suggestions ? I am on OC 59

Thanks
Maybe try turning off Thunderbolt in the bios to see if forcing to to run USBc helps? Either that or try changing it to Thunderbolt "Legacy" mode in the security tab?
The other thing you can try is changing the layout ID in the config.plist under the NVRAM/ ADD section where the boot arguments reside to 28.

-v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1. Change 1 to 28

thanks to @Leesureone for great work! Just installed opencore_nuc8_059 on my nuc8i5, works smooth, except one thing - AirDrop =(
Leesureone, could you help me with it ?

Back