Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

oh, which are these?

There is a setting in the OpenCore config.plist that allows you to bypass those issues and it’s enabled by default.

I mean which setting.

I mean which setting.

Instead of me giving you a run down on OpenCore spend a little time and read the OpenCore Desktop guide for coffelake processors. There is a separate section that describes what’s needed for ACPI (the SSDTs you were asking about) and in the main part of the guide the config.plist entries are explained in detail. Google OpenCore Desktop Guide

Last edited:
It doesn't say it has to be applied after every restart but on the thread here that is talked about, very similar method so its possible. I don't know the answer to your question except that in this community it always possible there will be further developments. This process already involves a kext you download and then use with the video to configure it correctly.

It works for my nuc8i5beh. I just edited info.plist to add my ssid and password, then manually loaded the kext. But it is much slower than my usb wifi dongle. AppleIntelWiFi.kext shows only 45 Mbps, my usb dongle shows 260 Mbps.

It works for my nuc8i5beh. I just edited info.plist to add my ssid and password, then manually loaded the kext. But it is much slower than my usb wifi dongle. AppleIntelWiFi.kext shows only 45 Mbps, my usb dongle shows 260 Mbps.
Captura de Tela 2020-05-09 às 23.15.38.png

I agree with you. It does work, but cannot get all the wifi speed. Ping is good.

@ta_orz are you able to use all the Continuity features (native wireless and bluetooth required)? @Drfrag?

Hi, Leesureone:

First of all, thanks for your work. I tested your opencore 5.8 EFI for NUC7 and it works great in my NUC7i7BNH and Catalina 10.15.4.
I tried to add the sdcard reader support available in your EFI for NUC8 (NUC8EFIOC5.8-2.zip), so I added the sinetek kext to the EFI folder and modified the config.plist to load it. I just added this code in the same order as appears in the nuc8 config.plist:
<dict>
<key>BundlePath</key>
<string>Sinetek-rtsx.kext</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Realtek RTS522A Card Reader</string>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>ExecutablePath</key>
<string>Contents/MacOS/Sinetek-rtsx</string>
<key>PlistPath</key>
<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
</dict>

It booted ok, but when I inserted a sdcard the nuc rebooted.
I tried this kext before adding it to the EFI using kextload and I was able to read the sdcard without a problem.
Have I missed any else modification to the config.plist file? Could you point me to a guide I could use to add sdcard support?

Thank you.

Hi, Leesureone:

First of all, thanks for your work. I tested your opencore 5.8 EFI for NUC7 and it works great in my NUC7i7BNH and Catalina 10.15.4.
I tried to add the sdcard reader support available in your EFI for NUC8 (NUC8EFIOC5.8-2.zip), so I added the sinetek kext to the EFI folder and modified the config.plist to load it. I just added this code in the same order as appears in the nuc8 config.plist:
<dict>
<key>BundlePath</key>
<string>Sinetek-rtsx.kext</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Realtek RTS522A Card Reader</string>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>ExecutablePath</key>
<string>Contents/MacOS/Sinetek-rtsx</string>
<key>PlistPath</key>
<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
</dict>

It booted ok, but when I inserted a sdcard the nuc rebooted.
I tried this kext before adding it to the EFI using kextload and I was able to read the sdcard without a problem.
Have I missed any else modification to the config.plist file? Could you point me to a guide I could use to add sdcard support?

Thank you.
I have the same issue with both the NUC8 and the 7 models I have using Opencore. In the OpenCore laptop guide, which is fair to say the NUCs are more than a desktop, it says card readers generally do not work. Their suggestion is to buy a USB Card Reader being they are relatively inexpensive. I should probably remove the kext for it.
FYI, even with clover the reader can be flakey or at least that has been my experience. The trick may be if it’s PCI based or not, see below from the guide.

Built in SDCard Readers
If you have an SDCard reader that's connected through an internal USB hub, it's probably not going to work. Do yourself a favor if you need SDCard support and buy an inexpensive reader. If your SDCard reader is PCI based there is a small chance that it will work in macOS, but you're probably going to want to fake the ID so it appears as a native reader to the operating system.

Back