Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

As a newbie I don't really reccomend Opencore but fell free to try it. Yes it's as easy as changing the EFI folder but you will need to update the serial numbers etc. Clover Configurator will not work, use a plist editor like Xcode.

I haven't updated the bios beyond 77 if I remember correctly so I don't know.

What is the differences between: (which can be found here)
1. EFIOCNUC8.zip
2. NUC8EFIOC5.6.zip
I understand that it's a different version of Opencore, but I saw for example each one of the zips has different drivers, a bit different Kexts etc.
Also the EFIOCNUC8.zip has EFIOCNUC8\EFIOCNUCgood\APPLE\EXTENSIONS\Firmware.scap which I didn't find in NUC8EFIOC5.6.zip.

Just curious to understand the differences before choosing one of them :)
And I should choose the newer version, NUC8EFIOC5.6.zip, right?

Thank you!

What is the differences between: (which can be found here)
1. EFIOCNUC8.zip
2. NUC8EFIOC5.6.zip
I understand that it's a different version of Opencore, but I saw for example each one of the zips has different drivers, a bit different Kexts etc.
Also the EFIOCNUC8.zip has EFIOCNUC8\EFIOCNUCgood\APPLE\EXTENSIONS\Firmware.scap which I didn't find in NUC8EFIOC5.6.zip.

Just curious to understand the differences before choosing one of them :)
And I should choose the newer version, NUC8EFIOC5.6.zip, right?

Thank you!
My reccomendation is that if you want to go this route you begin to read up on Opencore, the Vanilla Guide is about as straight forward as there is. Suffice it to say it's a slightly different more comprehensive approach.

My reccomendation is that if you want to go this route you begin to read up on Opencore, the Vanilla Guide is about as straight forward as there is. Suffice it to say it's a slightly different more comprehensive approach.
I think your Clover version for NUC8 needs your attention because you are injecting Audio layout-id twice. On Devices-Audio (28) (that I think is best choice), and on Devices-Properties-PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) (03000000) that has poor sound on headphone jack and this is the dominating one, causing bad sound (0C000000 is my choice).
Sleep is not ok too. There is no XOSI injected and no USB energy patch for sleep on ACPI. Plugin type is redundant on config.plist and SSDT-PLUG.aml (not a big problem, but I think SSDT-PLUG.aml is safe to be removed).

I think your Clover version for NUC8 needs your attention because you are injecting Audio layout-id twice. On Devices-Audio (28) (that I think is best choice), and on Devices-Properties-PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) (03000000) that has poor sound on headphone jack and this is the dominating one, causing bad sound (0C000000 is my choice).
Sleep is not ok too. There is no XOSI injected and no USB energy patch for sleep on ACPI. Plugin type is redundant on config.plist and SSDT-PLUG.aml (not a big problem, but I think SSDT-PLUG.aml is safe to be removed).
I do not need XOSI injected, never have, and sleep is rock solid. Same for audio settings, no issues over the head phone jack or hdmi but about 20% of users who take advantage of these uploads do. I'll have to check later but I believe that was also how Rehabman had audio set up and because it typically works I left it.

Whatever works for you though, that's kind of the golden rule. Identical motherboards do not all perform the same using Clover. That is reported over and over in these forums, users struggling to get the same results as others using identical configurations.

I do not need XOSI injected
I did not try without XOSI, but maybe you are right and XOSI is not needed anyway, but why there is _OSI to XOSI patch on config?
Same for audio settings
I was just trying to show that layout-id is been injected twice and with different values (28 and 03).

I did not try without XOSI, but maybe you are right and XOSI is not needed anyway, but why there is _OSI to XOSI patch on config?

I was just trying to show that layout-id is been injected twice and with different values (28 and 03).
XOSI is being renamed, not injected.

XOSI is being renamed, not injected.
Renaming _OSI to XOSI without a XOSI method giving a Windows Version to this variable causes an ACPI error, that is not so serious, but is shown on verbose boot. And there is no reason to rename it without a patch on XOSI.
Note that without the SSDT that implements the XOSI method, the (patched) calls to XOSI would cause an ACPI abort (ACPI abort causes execution of the ACPI method to be terminated immediately with an error). Don't use the _OSI->XOSI patch without the XOSI method.

Note that you are using Audio Layout-id 07 on OC Version and not 03 or 28.

Last edited:
Renaming _OSI to XOSI without a XOSI method giving a Windows Version to this variable causes an ACPI error, that is not so serious, but is shown on verbose boot. And there is no reason to rename it without a patch on XOSI.
I am not using his DDST so maybe that patch can be removed. Feel free to experiment and report back.

Yes you are, on OC Version.
Thought we were talking about Clover, the 5.5 version? I'm on my phone so going off memory. All of them work so if any are helping you I'm glad. Feel free to change them as you want.

Back