Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel NUC7/NUC8 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7Bxx,NUC8i7Bxx,etc)

For it to work Enable Thunderbolt Legacy setting in bios. Hot plugging doesn’t work but compatible devices will show if they are connected at boot up.

FYI, your EFI/Clover/Drivers folder is well populated ( meaning you have more than needed) Otherwise it's very similar to what I posted
Thanks for the tip. Thunderbolt is working now.

You know if there is a way to make the WiFi work?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Thunderbolt is working now.

You know if there is a way to make the WiFi work?

Unfortunately no, its not possible with the onboard intel chip. You can get wireless if needed with a usb type deal or remove your m2 ssd and swap it for an adapter and airport card (which is a whole other discussion). I just use the LAN connectivity for this machine so for me its all I need.

Unfortunately no, its not possible with the onboard intel chip. You can get wireless if needed with a usb type deal or remove your m2 ssd and swap it for an adapter and airport card (which is a whole other discussion). I just use the LAN connectivity for this machine so for me its all I need.
Thanks. Well that is what I did. Thought maybe there is a solution for the on-board WiFi.
Thanks anyway.

If that is working for you could you please post your audio device properties as shown in Xcode or Clover Configurator?
Below you have all my EFI files. I should mention that i use BCM94630CS2 board via m.2 adapter instead of internal wi-fi/bluetooth

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 100
Below you have all my EFI files. I should mention that i use BCM94630CS2 board via m.2 adapter instead of internal wi-fi/bluetooth
Thank you! I'll check out the audio device id later and try eliminating those kexts and then try HDMI audio again. I notice we use different methods for power management of the CPU, its one of those things like audio. Whatever works.

Edit: Changing the audio device ID worked. I never had issues with sound quality but I’m liking less kexts. Thanks for that!

Last edited:
Hey Guys so after some experiments I managed to make it all work.
Dual Boot (Windows 10 & Mojave 10.14.6)

I have the NUC8i5BEH
CPU: Intel i5-8259U
RAM: Crucial CT16G4SFD832A 16 GB DDR4, 3200 MHZ, PC4-25600, CL22, Dual Rank x8, SODIMM, 260-Pin
they work at 2400 MHZ as that is the maximum supported by the NUC.
GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
Storage: - NVme Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256 GB (Windows 10)
- LITEONIT SSD SATA 256GB (Mojave 10.14.6)

Has been installed with Bios version 73 (latest)
Clover version 5045

Working Tested:

- Wifi Asus USB-AC68
- Built-in Bluetooth is working
- M.2 2280 for SSD
- SATA for SSD
- DP/HDMI (video/audio)
- UEFI booting via Clover
- 4x USB3 ports (2x back, 2x front)
- native USB3.1/USB3/USB2
- Ethernet (works with IntelMausiEthernet.kext)
- Analog native Audio working (IN/OUT)
- Built-in Microphone is working
- USB-Type C working
- Mac App Store is working
- Restart & Shutdown is working
- Thunderbolt 3 (BIOS TB Legacy Mode)

Not Working:
- on-board Wifi

Bios Settings all i did is enable Legacy Boot the rest you can leave it on Default.

Bellow you have the EFI just replace your EFI folder on your EFI partition and boot.

Hope it helps,

Hey, I tried to use your EFI folder on the same system (NUC8i5BEH + m.2 ssd + 32gb RAM)
I did restore defaults to the bios settings and I have enabled the Legacy boot.
Then, when I boot the nuc and press F10 for the boot menu I have 2 options:
1. usb (then the stick name)
2. UEFI usb (then the stick name)

If I choose option 1 I can see the installation option in the clover menu - but I cannot install mac since the usb keyboard and mouse does NOT respond (only ctrl+alt+delete respond for reset). I tried with 2 different sets of keyboards.
If I choose option 2, I cannot see the installation of the mac at all....

*I use clover 5018 because version 5045 fails to install on the usb :cry:
Can I just format the usb stick using this command:
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
and just copy your EFI foder without even installing clover?

What do I do wrong?

Thank you

Hi,

I have an Intel NUC i5 8th gen. with Mojave.
All seem work preatty well except I have flieckering issue from time to time.

If I restart the machine I had no flickering, but after a while flickering happens again.

I use a monitor LG 4K on HDMI...

Hey, I tried to use your EFI folder on the same system (NUC8i5BEH + m.2 ssd + 32gb RAM)
I did restore defaults to the bios settings and I have enabled the Legacy boot.
Then, when I boot the nuc and press F10 for the boot menu I have 2 options:
1. usb (then the stick name)
2. UEFI usb (then the stick name)

If I choose option 1 I can see the installation option in the clover menu - but I cannot install mac since the usb keyboard and mouse does NOT respond (only ctrl+alt+delete respond for reset). I tried with 2 different sets of keyboards.
If I choose option 2, I cannot see the installation of the mac at all....

*I use clover 5018 because version 5045 fails to install on the usb :cry:
Can I just format the usb stick using this command:
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 2 MBR FAT32 "CLOVER EFI" 200Mi HFS+J "install_osx" R
and just copy your EFI foder without even installing clover?

What do I do wrong?

Thank you

It should be option 2 but it sounds like your boot disk is missing something. The easiest way to create a boot disk if you are new to this is using Unibeast for Mojave. It will install Clover in a hidden EFI folder that you can see after Unibeast completes (in Finder, preferences, general check Show these items on the desktop: Hard disks).

At that point open the the EFI drive and replace the 'EFI" folder with whichever one you have downloaded. Eject the disk and reboot and choose the USB UEFI portion option and you should be on your way to install.

Hi,

I have an Intel NUC i5 8th gen. with Mojave.
All seem work preatty well except I have flieckering issue from time to time.

If I restart the machine I had no flickering, but after a while flickering happens again.

I use a monitor LG 4K on HDMI...
How do you have video configured in your config.plist? What boot arguments are you using? Be aware not all 4k monitors are supported.

It should be option 2 but it sounds like your boot disk is missing something. The easiest way to create a boot disk if you are new to this is using Unibeast for Mojave. It will install Clover in a hidden EFI folder that you can see after Unibeast completes (in Finder, preferences, general check Show these items on the desktop: Hard disks).

At that point open the the EFI drive and replace the 'EFI" folder with whichever one you have downloaded. Eject the disk and reboot and choose the USB UEFI portion option and you should be on your way to install.

Thank you for your reply!
Do you have a link for a specific guide for it?
And also a link for an EFI folder? is the one that you have uploaded should be good for me too? (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...xx-nuc8i7bxx-etc.261711/page-107#post-1985283)
I have Intel NUC8i5BEH with Intel SSD 660p 1TB and 2x CORSAIR VENGEANCE SODIMM 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2666 C18.
I use the latest bios 0073, default settings + enable Legacy Boot + Allow UEFI 3rd party driver to be loaded during Boot Device (but i'm not sure if it's really needed).

Thank you so much!
It's day 1 with hackintosh :)

Last edited:
Back