Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for my question. I tried my first installation of High Sierra on Intel NUC with this guide.

I can boot into the High Sierra installer with the prepared USB-Stick without problems. But when I start installation the installer stops after approximately 2min (see attached screenshot) and the NUC reboots. I can finish installation, can apply all scripts of the guide and the NUC seems to run fine on APFS filesystem. But I don´t know, if there´s something missing in the system now. Today I tried to make the Security Update 2018-001 and it failed.

Thanks for your help and sorry that I have any "Problem Reporting" files...

IMG_1463.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 82
Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for my question. I tried my first installation of High Sierra on Intel NUC with this guide.

I can boot into the High Sierra installer with the prepared USB-Stick without problems. But when I start installation the installer stops after approximately 2min (see attached screenshot) and the NUC reboots. I can finish installation, can apply all scripts of the guide and the NUC seems to run fine on APFS filesystem. But I don´t know, if there´s something missing in the system now. Today I tried to make the Security Update 2018-001 and it failed.

Thanks for your help and sorry that I have any "Problem Reporting" files...

View attachment 331447

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

How to know whether Skylake spoof has been activated. I connect to a 4K LG TV, and have random glitches and black screen blinks (sometimes can not recover from black screen and have to hard reset). Applied Skylake spoof but still the same.
One more question, how to know Thunderbolt is working. In System Information > Thunderbolt, it shows No drivers are loaded.

How to know whether Skylake spoof has been activated. I connect to a 4K LG TV, and have random glitches and black screen blinks (sometimes can not recover from black screen and have to hard reset). Applied Skylake spoof but still the same.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

One more question, how to know Thunderbolt is working.

TB has issues with hotplug, devices must be plugged in prior to boot.

In System Information > Thunderbolt, it shows No drivers are loaded.

Not expected. Cosmetic only.

About to get my NUC8i7HVK delivered in a few minutes... Hades Canyon I think it is? Anyway, this guide has worked great for my NUC5 and NUC7 builds, I hope I can pull it off with the NUC8! Thanks for all the hard work RehabMan!

About to get my NUC8i7HVK delivered in a few minutes... Hades Canyon I think it is? Anyway, this guide has worked great for my NUC5 and NUC7 builds, I hope I can pull it off with the NUC8! Thanks for all the hard work RehabMan!

This guide is not for the Hades Canyon NUC.

I don't think the Hades Canyon graphics (KabyLake-G with AMD) are going to work, but you're welcome to try.
There are a few threads (here and elsewhere), so make sure you use google.

This guide is not for the Hades Canyon NUC.

I don't think the Hades Canyon graphics (KabyLake-G with AMD) are going to work, but you're welcome to try.
There are a few threads (here and elsewhere), so make sure you use google.

Yea, spent last couple of days trying the UniBeast method and your createinstaller method from this guide. I can get the OS to install and to boot up off the installed drive using the USB installer but no matter how I try to install Clover via MultiBeast or the Clover Package itself (per your guide) the box just gets stuck in a boot loop - boots up clover on the NVME, Apple logo appears and is processing than instant reboot, rinse and repeat. Sometimes when I do the -v flag I see it can't allocate memory pages or when I don't do the -v I see the big white NO SMOKING logo instead of the APple logo.

I'm still trying, even if I can just use the built in Intel Graphics instead of the Radeon and do basic 4k@60hz I'd be so happy.

Yea, spent last couple of days trying the UniBeast method and your createinstaller method from this guide. I can get the OS to install and to boot up off the installed drive using the USB installer but no matter how I try to install Clover via MultiBeast or the Clover Package itself (per your guide) the box just gets stuck in a boot loop - boots up clover on the NVME, Apple logo appears and is processing than instant reboot, rinse and repeat. Sometimes when I do the -v flag I see it can't allocate memory pages or when I don't do the -v I see the big white NO SMOKING logo instead of the APple logo.

I'm still trying, even if I can just use the built in Intel Graphics instead of the Radeon and do basic 4k@60hz I'd be so happy.

Off-topic. This guide is for the NUC7 only.

Great guide, Rehabman. Perfect amount of detail, and the tools your provide are outstanding. I successfully installed a week ago, using an old installer from 10.13.1 I had lying around, and subsequently updated to 10.13.4 via apple App Store, and then 10.13.5 a day or two later as that came out. I have 1 frustrating issue, and I've searched forums for help and tried to troubleshoot on my own, but haven't solved it. When I run Photos.app, after a few second, the system freezes. No KP screen, just everything is frozen, mouse won't move, time stops, etc.

Other threads seemed to indicate that it might be related to RAM, and RAM speed settings in the BIOS. I had 1 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800MHz SO-Dimm, PC4-22400 8GB stick in my NUC (7i7BNH, with a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD). I assumed my RAM was the main difference in my build, and noted that the G.Skill RAM was not on Intel's approved memory list here, or the CMTL Advanced list here. So I picked up a Crucial 2x8GB kit that was on the CMTL advanced list, DDR4-2400. But that kit also causes the freeze. Like @germant52 in this thread, starting up in safe mode allows photos to function just fine. I tried disabling XMP in config.plist, but that didn't work. For some reason, even though the NUC max ram bus is 2133 MHz, and the UEFI detects it at 2133 MHz, it shows up in the boot.log and system report as 2400MHz. I really tried to figure it out, but I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ran the problem reporting script by @black.dragon74, so hopefully all the correct files are attached.

Thanks again!

P.S. I initially had ethernet when setting things up, but later had to move to a location with only wifi access. For anyone who NEEDS wifi with this awesome little machine, I found the IOGEAR GWU627 ethernet to wifi adapter works really great, and gets around the whole USB wifi adapter being poorly supported in macOS.

edit: removed problem reporting files, now that it's resolved.

Last edited:
Great guide, Rehabman. Perfect amount of detail, and the tools your provide are outstanding. I successfully installed a week ago, using an old installer from 10.13.1 I had lying around, and subsequently updated to 10.13.4 via apple App Store, and then 10.13.5 a day or two later as that came out. I have 1 frustrating issue, and I've searched forums for help and tried to troubleshoot on my own, but haven't solved it. When I run Photos.app, after a few second, the system freezes. No KP screen, just everything is frozen, mouse won't move, time stops, etc.

Other threads seemed to indicate that it might be related to RAM, and RAM speed settings in the BIOS. I had 1 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800MHz SO-Dimm, PC4-22400 8GB stick in my NUC (7i7BNH, with a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD). I assumed my RAM was the main difference in my build, and noted that the G.Skill RAM was not on Intel's approved memory list here, or the CMTL Advanced list here. So I picked up a Crucial 2x8GB kit that was on the CMTL advanced list, DDR4-2400. But that kit also causes the freeze. Like @germant52 in this thread, starting up in safe mode allows photos to function just fine. I tried disabling XMP in config.plist, but that didn't work. For some reason, even though the NUC max ram bus is 2133 MHz, and the UEFI detects it at 2133 MHz, it shows up in the boot.log and system report as 2400MHz. I really tried to figure it out, but I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ran the problem reporting script by @black.dragon74, so hopefully all the correct files are attached.

Thanks again!

P.S. I initially had ethernet when setting things up, but later had to move to a location with only wifi access. For anyone who NEEDS wifi with this awesome little machine, I found the IOGEAR GWU627 ethernet to wifi adapter works really great, and gets around the whole USB wifi adapter being poorly supported in macOS.

You are not using the correct config.plist. Read post #1, "Final config.plist".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back