Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen

In my first WEG PR you could patch fb flags but it was removed. In fact you could patch almost everything. Now Im thinking I may need to add flag patching back. If you can wait a bit l can see if vit is okay with it or perhaps @RehabMan can implement support since he has direct access to the repo now?

If patching such flags is actually useful, it makes sense to add a facility to direct patch them without using find/replace.

If patching such flags is actually useful, it makes sense to add a facility to direct patch them without using find/replace.
Yes, that's what I mean.

@headkaze I am struggling to get HDMI audio working on my Gigabyte Brix BKi3HA-7100.
I have used FB Patcher to open the AppleFramebuffer dump (using latest versions of Whatevergreen 1.2.4 and Lilu 1.2.8).
I created a patch using FB Patcher v1.60 - the options I selected for the patch were Devices/Properties and ticked Connectors and Audio. I applied the patch to my config.plist (attached in debug zip) I repeated this process with all the Layout ID's listed here for ALC255 but none of them give me HDMI audio, they all enable the Headphone port apart from layout 18 which enables Internal Speaker. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• AppleIntelFramebuffer_9_18.2.zip
    934.7 KB · Views: 60
  • debug_16503.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
@headkaze I am struggling to get HDMI audio working on my Gigabyte Brix BKi3HA-7100.
I have used FB Patcher to open the AppleFramebuffer dump (using latest versions of Whatevergreen 1.2.4 and Lilu 1.2.8).
I created a patch using FB Patcher v1.60 - the options I selected for the patch were Devices/Properties and ticked Connectors and Audio. I applied the patch to my config.plist (attached in debug zip) I repeated this process with all the Layout ID's listed here for ALC255 but none of them give me HDMI audio, they all enable the Headphone port apart from layout 18 which enables Internal Speaker. Am I doing something wrong?

Try with FakePCIID.kext+FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext.

I repeated this process with all the Layout ID's listed here for ALC255

Bear in mind that the list you linked to is not complete. You should use the drop down list in FB-Patcher as it's more up to date.

@RehabMan Thank you - that did the trick - it is a little quirky in that it says its is enabled over DisplayPort when I am connected via HDMI but sound over HDMI is working.
FYI Alternatively you could have used the Patch->Advanced->Spoof Audio Device Id in FB-Patcher for the same effect as FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext.

Last edited:
FYI Alternatively you could have used the Patch->Advanced->Spoof Audio Device Id in FB-Patcher for the same effect as FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext.

What does that option actually do?
(eg. what settings is it making in config.plist)

And I suppose this depends on the user to pick an ID to spoof?

I would like to understand whether it actually does what FakePCIID does.

Back