Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

HD 7470 is not True Radeon HD 7000 series, don't be fooled by the product name.
AMD and Nvidia have done a lot of this confusing product naming over the last 7-8 years. Not sure if it's intentional but they should really stop doing it.

I ordered a DisplayPort to HDMI cable but unfortunately my monitor/configuration still boots and shows "Input Not Supported"
Are connecting with the DP to HDMI cable to a TV or to a monitor made for a PC ?

AMD and Nvidia have done a lot of this confusing product naming over the last 7-8 years. Not sure if it's intentional but they should really stop doing it.

maybe they have so many old stocks, the product cycle is so short now, they don't want to waste it
or maybe their marketing department suggested simply rename the product can help clear the old stocks

Are connecting with the DP to HDMI cable to a TV or to a monitor made for a PC ?

A PC Monitor, for sure. 1080p. It looks great. Just missing that BIOS/Clover screen.

I am concerned that I may be loading extra kexts that I don't need, but I'm not sure why that would make a difference since the thing does boot and zips along. It was booting before with integrated HD 4000 graphics via DisplayPort to DVI cable on an older monitor.

So those gpus will work flawlessly eh. Guess i gotta go hunting.

macOS already drop the support of Radeon HD 6000 series support since Mojave

HD 7470 is not True Radeon HD 7000 series, don't be fooled by the product name, it is based on Radeon HD 6000 GPU chip (TeraScale 2 architecture)

HD 77xx, HD78xx, HD79xx series are based on GCN architecture GPU chips
This means if I install macOS High Sierra, then the graphics card would work?

Cheers,
twsps

This means if I install macOS High Sierra, then the graphics card would work?

Cheers,
twsps

it should not work out of the box, Apple do not use these entry level GPU chips in their product, maybe need a lot of works to do
how to make it work is already off-topic, maybe you can search the keyword "HD7470"

My newest post in Deals of the Day:

I got one optiplex 7010 board 0GY6G8 @ $12.99 and one i3-3245 @ $9 from eBay. This will be one of the cheapest Hackintosh I will build. I know how to avoid the error messages for Dell MB. It's a pity that my cheap Patriot DDR3 memory sticks don't work on these Dell MBs.

I got one optiplex 7010 board 0GY6G8 @ $12.99 and one i3-3245 @ $9 from eBay. This will be one of the cheapest Hackintosh I will build. I know how to avoid the error messages for Dell MB. It's a pity that my cheap Patriot DDR3 memory sticks don't work on these Dell MBs.
Put it in a case or on a test bench ? Don't forget the proprietary Dell CPU cooler too. 5 pin fan.
Good idea to get the OEM pwr switch too. Only costs $5.99 then you don't have to short the pins.

Last edited:
Back