Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Well that could explain it lol. I don't think I let it sit for nearly that long. Maybe 20 minutes or so. I will keep you posted installing now. Thanks again!

I used an old 80GB WD HDD for the test install. No problems, just a lot slower to finish the install. Takes more patience.
Even if it looks to hang up leave it longer and see if it goes through. A lot of the video is speeded up so that the length is not 40+ minutes long.

So, I've been letting this sit a while, ran it in verbose... Here's where it looks like it's getting stuck.

Attachments

• 20200201_164121_HDR.jpg
    20200201_164121_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 226
  • 20200201_164050.jpg
    20200201_164050.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 224
So, I've been letting this sit a while, ran it in verbose... Here's where it looks like it's getting stuck.
That means it's a graphics problem. How are you connecting to your monitor ? DP or HDMI ? Something else ? What kind of monitor is it ? Have you tried the other DP output on the back of the Dell ?

Last edited:
Update: If I uncheck Inject Intel in the Graphics Driver options I can get it to boot no problem. Catalina is now full installed. However, if I restart and do not uncheck that option first then it hangs half way through the boot. To answer your question, no I have not tried the other display port. I am connecting via a display to hdmi cable to a samsung tv as my monitor.

It appeared that this user had a similar issue, however the kexts mentioned are already installed as the Intel fix is now part of whatevergreen: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-12-5-update.220866/#post-1504116

gIOScreenLockState 3 error, check the ig-platform-id, device-id,

most of time this error is due to wrong ig-platform-id, macOS what to send the data to video framebuffer (draw the pixels on the screen), but your config do not have a valid framebuffer

Update: If I uncheck Inject Intel in the Graphics Driver options I can get it to boot no problem. Catalina is now full installed. However, if I restart and do not uncheck that option first then it hangs half way through the boot. To answer your question, no I have not tried the other display port. I am connecting via a display to hdmi cable to a samsung tv as my monitor.

It appeared that this user had a similar issue, however the kexts mentioned are already installed as the Intel fix is now part of whatevergreen: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-10-12-5-update.220866/#post-1504116

read the WhateverGreen manual, you don't have to set Inject Intel

Update: If I uncheck Inject Intel in the Graphics Driver options I can get it to boot no problem.
If you use the config.plist attached to post #1 there is no Intel injection. You were probably still using the default config.plist that Unibeast creates. If you look closely at the install video at the 4:40 timestamp you'll see me delete the Unibeast config.plist and replace it with the custom one for the Optiplex 7010. You may have missed that part.

I am connecting via a display to hdmi cable to a samsung tv as my monitor.
It's always better to use a PC monitor for the install if possible. TVs can be problematic. Glad to hear you figured out the problem anyway.

Last edited:
If you use the config.plist attached to post #1 there is no Intel injection. You were probably still using the default config.plist that Unibeast creates. If you look closely at the install video at the 4:40 timestamp you'll see me delete the Unibeast config.plist and replace it with the custom one for the Optiplex 7010. You may have missed that part.

It's always better to use a PC monitor for the install if possible. TVs can be problematic. Glad to hear you figured out the problem anyway.
So, I got everything working... except Audio. Any suggestions?

Hello, first of all thank you so much for this detailed guide. I just have a quick question. I have an i5-3470 CPU but there's no ssdt file in guide. Can I use the i5-3470 ssdt from your high sierra guide on Catalina?

Back