Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
You failed to follow the guide properly.
As per post #1, you must use the beta branch for 10.14 support.
Read post #1 carefully.
Switched to 'beta' branch, replaced config.plist with the built one from 'beta' then reinstalled all ACPI files that were built using 'beta' branch. Attached PR files as sound is still not functioning, however I will be attaching PR files with clean AppleHDA.kext file, and not one modified by 'pre-patch_hda.sh'. I will update this post after doing that with my findings. Also, PR files are generated after booting without cache, rebuilding then rebooting twice.

Thanks!

EDIT: Ran 'pre-patch_hda.sh' to no avail. Normally I can run that, then after it rebuilds cache I can just unload and load the kext without rebooting, but then even after rebooting, still no sound. Other than not switching to 'beta' branch, everything else I know was done correctly so only thing I can come up with is my layout may have been removed, as I have heard that a lot of layouts were shifted around and/or removed.

Attachments

• debug_11069.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Switched to 'beta' branch, replaced config.plist with the built one from 'beta' then reinstalled all ACPI files that were built using 'beta' branch. Attached PR files as sound is still not functioning, however I will be attaching PR files with clean AppleHDA.kext file, and not one modified by 'pre-patch_hda.sh'. I will update this post after doing that with my findings. Also, PR files are generated after booting without cache, rebuilding then rebooting twice.

Thanks!

EDIT: Ran 'pre-patch_hda.sh' to no avail. Normally I can run that, then after it rebuilds cache I can just unload and load the kext without rebooting, but then even after rebooting, still no sound. Other than not switching to 'beta' branch, everything else I know was done correctly so only thing I can come up with is my layout may have been removed, as I have heard that a lot of layouts were shifted around and/or removed.

You forgot to run ./install_downloads.sh.
Please read post #1 carefully.

You forgot to run ./install_downloads.sh.
Please read post #1 carefully.
Appreciate you checking on it again, and after running './install_downloads.sh' and rebooting the sound came up. Didn't think reinstalling from Recovery would wipe the '/Library/Extensions' folder, and there is literally no changes to the coding of 'install_downloads.sh' between beta and master branches.

Slight oversight for not running it anyways, I guess I was just focused on preserving the kextcache for AppleHDA.kext than anything else.

Thanks again.

Appreciate you checking on it again, and after running './install_downloads.sh' and rebooting the sound came up. Didn't think reinstalling from Recovery would wipe the '/Library/Extensions' folder, and there is literally no changes to the coding of 'install_downloads.sh' between beta and master branches.

Slight oversight for not running it anyways, I guess I was just focused on preserving the kextcache for AppleHDA.kext than anything else.

Thanks again.

Re-installing causes AppleHDA.kext to be replaced with vanilla kext which removes all *.zml.zlib files from AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources.

Plus, the new repo has different *.zml.zlib files (to correspond to new layout-id) that are installed there.

Re-installing causes AppleHDA.kext to be replaced with vanilla kext which removes all *.zml.zlib files from AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources.

Plus, the new repo has different *.zml.zlib files (to correspond to new layout-id) that are installed there.
Yeah which is why I did the reinstall. Wanted to start fresh with it to remove any other variables that may keep it from functioning normally. Also, out of curiosity what would cause the Battery Poller to not poll at start (shows 0% battery) until I unplug the laptop then plug it back in, which at that point it starts polling? Wasn't there an issue with APFS and the interval to which the poller kicks in at startup?

Also, out of curiosity what would cause the Battery Poller to not poll at start (shows 0% battery) until I unplug the laptop then plug it back in, which at that point it starts polling? Wasn't there an issue with APFS and the interval to which the poller kicks in at startup?

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.
debug_10884.zip is the PR files while the battery information is being polled (battery information is showing correctly)
debug_15621.zip is the PR files after rebooting and not disconnecting from power, so battery polling is reporting 0%.

Attachments

• debug_15621.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • debug_10884.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
debug_10884.zip is the PR files while the battery information is being polled (battery information is showing correctly)
debug_15621.zip is the PR files after rebooting and not disconnecting from power, so battery polling is reporting 0%.

Likely an APFS + SSD issue.
Why did you enable TRIM with all the known problems with APFS + TRIM?
(seems like you used trimforce as TRIM patch in config.plist is disabled)

OCZ-Vertex 2 is very old (congratulations on keeping it running this long).
I have an OCZ-Vertex2 as well, but would probably not consider it appropriate for macOS APFS use, especially not with TRIM enabled.
You might check that you have latest firmware on the SSD.
And failing that, use abm_firstpolldelay to increase the delay before ACPIBatteryManager.kext starts polling.
Or you should disable TRIM.

Read here for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

Please note that this guide does not install Shiki.kext nor LfConnectDriver.kext.

Likely an APFS + SSD issue.
Why did you enable TRIM with all the known problems with APFS + TRIM?
(seems like you used trimforce as TRIM patch in config.plist is disabled)

OCZ-Vertex 2 is very old (congratulations on keeping it running this long).
I have an OCZ-Vertex2 as well, but would probably not consider it appropriate for macOS APFS use, especially not with TRIM enabled.
You might check that you have latest firmware on the SSD.
And failing that, use abm_firstpolldelay to increase the delay before ACPIBatteryManager.kext starts polling.
Or you should disable TRIM.

Read here for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

Please note that this guide does not install Shiki.kext nor LfConnectDriver.kext.
Alright, went ahead and re-disabled TRIM and the battery is now functioning normally. I am also surprised this SSD is still running as well as it has since it's been abused for over 2 years now, lol. Shiki.kext is used so I can use Netflix and iTunes video (non-HD playback), and LfConnectDriver.kext is my daughter's Leap Frog software, since their macOS version is more stable than Windows, I went ahead and loaded it on this, and so far I've had no conflicts between either kexts, so they're ok for me.

Again, I appreciate all your help with this. :)

Alright, went ahead and re-disabled TRIM and the battery is now functioning normally.

Good to know (and it confirms that TRIM+APFS is still problematic with non-Apple SSD hardware).

I am also surprised this SSD is still running as well as it has since it's been abused for over 2 years now, lol.

My Vertex2 was purchased in Summer of 2010. Still running (in a Windows box).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back