Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I made a fresh install of 10.13.2 High Sierra on my HP Elitebook 8470p. Most features seem to be working, but I have some problem with sleep mode. The laptop can go to sleep mode, but after I wake it up, it freezes down. The first sign is that it tries to connect to the wifi network with no success (in the menu you can read kAirPortTurnoffkey instead of Turn of WIFI), then you cannot do anything, the trackpad and the screen works, but the computer does not reply. I have attached the files, hope that you have advice.

D.

Your pmset -g assertions output shows external media plugged in. Probably it is a USB storage device (stick/HDD/etc). Remove it before testing sleep. Sleep will not initiate with an external media assertion.

Did you install to a USB device? (people do crazy things here) If so, not supported. Maybe this is the external media mentioned above...
Install to internal SATA, not to external USB device.

As per guide, you should have disabled the serial port. Your ioreg shows it enabled.

Your pmset -g assertions output shows external media plugged in.
Did you install to a USB device? (people do crazy things here) If so, not supported. Maybe this is the external media mentioned above...
Install to internal SATA, not to external USB device.
As per guide, you should have disabled the serial port. Your ioreg shows it enabled.

Thanks RehabMan. Yes, it is installed on an USB drive, because I needed Windows on my SSD, and as a try, I installed OSX on a USB. Sorry, it was my misunderstanding, because in the FAQ I read:

"Avoid USB WiFi. The drivers are poorly written and can cause instability, especially with sleep. Always test sleep without external devices plugged in."

I thought it applied to Usb Wifi sticks, and not generally Usb devices.

The serial port is disabled in BIOS, I have attached a photo.

Is it good if restore this Usb device to a Sata device with the installer usb? Will it restore the EFI partition as well?

Attachments

• IMG_9961.JPG
    IMG_9961.JPG
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 98
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I have read this several time. Started all over again but still cannot boot from USB in Sierra/ High Sierra. I can only boot with El Capitan USB and HDD. I removed all the kexts from EFI\Clover appears same message. I attached new hard drive and start over again still cannot reach to install screen both Sierra/ High Sierra. Someone asked me to put AppleACPIPlatform.kext into EFI\Clover\Kexts and see what will happen. Again, the result is the same. Please see my attached files for further instructions.

Attachments

• clover.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
Is it good if restore this Usb device to a Sata device with the installer usb?

You can use Disk Utility to clone the system partition from USB to a SATA device.

Will it restore the EFI partition as well?

The EFI partition will not be touched.
See post #1 for correct way to setup EFI/Clover.

I have read this several time. Started all over again but still cannot boot from USB in Sierra/ High Sierra. I can only boot with El Capitan USB and HDD. I removed all the kexts from EFI\Clover appears same message. I attached new hard drive and start over again still cannot reach to install screen both Sierra/ High Sierra. Someone asked me to put AppleACPIPlatform.kext into EFI\Clover\Kexts and see what will happen. Again, the result is the same. Please see my attached files for further instructions.

Your Clover/kexts/Other is wrong (why do you expect to boot macOS without FakeSMC.kext?)
Read guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Note: System kexts should never be placed in Clover/kexts/Other.

Now this is a weird one. But I did find a solution...

Both my WiFi and Bluetooth (BCM94352Z) show up twice in IORegistryExplorer. This doesn't cause a problem with WiFi because only the first entry gets the driver. Bluetooth, on the other hand, caused a 5 minute startup waiting on timeouts of the 2nd Bluetooth. Finally starting up without Bluetooth. This doesn't happen with every boot, so tracing the problem proved difficult.

I tried everything I could think of. Removing all of the flagged extensions from /Library/Extensions and then following the post-install process all over again. Then replacing config.plist with the default one for my system, thereby removing any changes I might have made. Removing all BCRMPatchRam kexts actually solved the boot up speed, but lost Bluetooth of course.

Finally I just removed the BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext alone. I figured since my system was loading BrcmPatchRAM2.kext fine and it wasn't necessary for my card I could remove it. That did it! Both WiFi and Bluetooth still show up twice in IORegistry, but only the first entry is used.

The attached IOReg and System report show the problem before removing BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext. After removal, the IOReg still looks the same but Bluetooth works and it boots as it should from an m.2 SSD.

Note: Apparently I was wrong about WiFi appearing twice. It was, and still is only the Bluetooth. I could have sworn I saw two Airports in the Registry before...

Attachments

• Doubled Bluetooth ioReg.zip
    648.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Double BT System Report.zip
    268 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Both my WiFi and Bluetooth (BCM94352Z) show up twice in IORegistryExplorer. This doesn't cause a problem with WiFi because only the first entry gets the driver. Bluetooth, on the other hand, caused a 5 minute startup waiting on timeouts of the 2nd Bluetooth. Finally starting up without Bluetooth. This doesn't happen with every boot, so tracing the problem proved difficult.

I tried everything I could think of. Removing all of the flagged extensions from /Library/Extensions and then following the post-install process all over again. Then replacing config.plist with the default one for my system, thereby removing any changes I might have made. Removing all BCRMPatchRam kexts actually solved the boot up speed, but lost Bluetooth of course.

Finally I just removed the BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext alone. I figured since my system was loading BrcmPatchRAM2.kext fine and it wasn't necessary for my card I could remove it. That did it! Both WiFi and Bluetooth still show up twice in IORegistry, but only the first entry is used.

The attached IOReg and System report show the problem before removing BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext. After removal, the IOReg still looks the same but Bluetooth works and it boots as it should from an m.2 SSD.

Note: Apparently I was wrong about WiFi appearing twice. It was, and still is only the Bluetooth. I could have sworn I saw two Airports in the Registry before...

Your BT vendor/device-id is: 0489:e07a.
BrcmNonPatchRAM*.kext does not match against 0489:e07a.
Therefore, those kexts being installed have no effect.

You are probably observing some other intermittent issue.

I guess I jumped the gun. Three restarts worked perfectly, but like previously mentioned, the problem is intermittent. It showed up again in the last couple of restarts causing "busy timeout" messages on the verbose boot screen (can't find the logs of this), one per minute, four times.

Prerequisite diagnostic files attached... (Including the same reports from the previous post.)

LasVegas

Update: Added a photo of the verbose message:
Verbose Boot.png

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 69
  • Double BT System Report.zip
    268 KB · Views: 62
  • Doubled Bluetooth ioReg.zip
    648.3 KB · Views: 60
  • RehabMan.zip
    64.4 KB · Views: 65