Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch (10.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your files in ACPI/patched are not up-to-date with respect to the current project.

Will update now.

As for your NVRAM problem, it could be that native UEFI NVRAM is broken (for OS X anyways...). Many Skylake computers suffer from this problem.

You can test it...
Code:
sudo nvram test_nvram=ThisIsATest

Then reboot, and after... check to see if the value you set in NVRAM survived...
Code:
nvram test_nvram

It didnt survive :D

If it doesn't then your UEFI NVRAM services are broken, and you need to use emulated NVRAM:
- install EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
- install "RC scripts to boot volume"

Where do I find the EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and the install scripts?

Repeat the test.
Will do!

Clover installer.

by downloading the clover installer and running the pkg, everything will be installed on my Macintosh HD. Is this a problem? besides of getting EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, do I also have to update files on the EFI partion for Clover to be up to date?

EDIT: or do I have to mount the EFI partition and select it inside the installer

by downloading the clover installer and running the pkg, everything will be installed on my Macintosh HD. Is this a problem? besides of getting EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, do I also have to update files on the EFI partion for Clover to be up to date?

EDIT: or do I have to mount the EFI partition and select it inside the installer

When you follow the guide... and select "Install for UEFI", the Clover installer will actually install to the EFI associated with the system volume you select.

It is all covered in the main Clover guide linked from post #1. Plus you already did it once...

RehabMan:

Picked up new laptop this afternoon and already done!

Huge note of thanks - Created a new USB using this guide and have my 640G1 up and running 10.11.5 with no problems - everything works!

Fought the first stick - maybe bad OS copy - or just didn't like the stick - rebuilt on another USB stick and smooth sailing. 2 reboots for sound and done.

One note - the ./install_acpi.sh install_6x0g1_haswell command copies the install_1040g1_haswell .aml file - not the 6x0g1
Saw it and corrected, but just wanted to let you know.

Many, Many thanks again for this guide.

SlowCredit

RehabMan:

Picked up new laptop this afternoon and already done!

Huge note of thanks - Created a new USB using this guide and have my 640G1 up and running 10.11.5 with no problems - everything works!

Fought the first stick - maybe bad OS copy - or just didn't like the stick - rebuilt on another USB stick and smooth sailing. 2 reboots for sound and done.

One note - the ./install_acpi.sh install_6x0g1_haswell command copies the install_1040g1_haswell .aml file - not the 6x0g1
Saw it and corrected, but just wanted to let you know.

Many, Many thanks again for this guide.

SlowCredit

I'll correct the install_acpi.sh script. Still needs custom USB (see post #1, "USB customization").

Also, check keyboard mapping (not sure if KEY102 is correct, may need KEY87).

When you follow the guide... and select "Install for UEFI", the Clover installer will actually install to the EFI associated with the system volume you select.

It is all covered in the main Clover guide linked from post #1. Plus you already did it once...

I wasnt sure if it will update everything properly, but it did just as you have said it would. I tried the nvram test and it worked :)
the brightness and sound is also working (being remembered). The iCloud AND! Messages Problem was also fixed by it. Beautiful! Thanks, again

just noticed two things, my Bluetooth is gone. It doesnt show up inside system prefs, as if I have none. And Messages says that "+12345678 is not registered with iMessage" ( I changed the number :D ) but I do know that the contact is using iMessages i tested it with my iPhone and my iMac. My iCloud Account is active inside Messages tho. Every Setting is set as it is on my iMac...

Again the Messages thing is not even important, the Bluetooh problem is just strange since it was working all the time. I think it has something to do with my latest system update from the ProBook.git repo.

I've added the Problem Report zip

EDIT: Strange.. I just did a reboot and now my Bluetooth is back working. I think Messages is also working, but it seems like it has problems identifying if a contact uses iMessage or not.

Attachments

• Branimir_03062016.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, though I've been reading for a while.

I have a ProBook 4540s (the core i5 version, with no discrete GPU) running El Capitan that I installed some months ago using the old ProBook clover installer.
It worked rather well except that QE/CI stopped working after a couple of reboots.
I discovered that I could make it work again by booting on my install thumb drive and rebuilding the kext cache.
Unfortunately, that QE/CI issue used to come back quite often (I think every time the kext was rebuilt after booting on the main drive), which was rather annoying.
So yesterday I decided to update clover to the latest version and to transition to the new hotpatch setup to see if it would improve things.

Unfortunately, it did not solve the QE/CI issue, and I also stumbled on a couple of new problems that I'd like to report in this post.

The first problem is that after installing the new kexts, the laptop could not boot anymore because of a kernel panic caused by IntelBacklight.kext v1.0.10. I tried to replace that kext with older versions that I found here (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-intel-backlight/downloads) and I finally had to revert to version v1.0.6 (v1.0.7 being the 1st version causing the crash).
BTW, I'm not even sure if this kext is useful for my laptop because during the boot I have the message "backlight handler never showed up". Does this means that the kext turned out to be useless ?

Second problem: yesterday, the laptop went to sleep while a USB drive was plugged. When the laptop woke up, I ejected the drive and this caused a system crash. Later I tried to reproduce that crash but the result was different: this time when the laptop woke up, MacOs complained that the drive was removed without being ejected (the drive being automatically remounted after that). I've been able to reproduce that later behavior several times in a row, but after another reboot everything was back to normal.
So there seems to be a erratic problem with regard to USB drives and sleep.

I try again after rebuilding the usb stick and I have the same problem. If a install the intelbacklight kext it works, but the sound not. After I reload the cache I have the intelbacklight kernel panic at the booting.

I checked on linux and I don't have the Intel MEI, also flash my bios, reinstall the windows and when I try to install the driver for the Intel MEI it says I don't have the requirements.

There is any solution for this or shall I give up?

Just updated the github project.

This changes the way the second battery object is dealt with. Previously BAT1._STA was renamed and replaced in SSDT-BATT*. There were quite a few patches to handle the different DSDTs for the different models supported. It was messy.

The new way, disables both battery objects (by assigning BAT0._HID and BAT1._HID to a bogus value), and creates a new battery object, BATC, which combines both batteries (if present) into a single power source. This results in a much simpler set of patches (all the _STA patches are gone), and one other side effect...

If you actually have multiple batteries present in your laptop (or battery in docking station?), the system will see it as one large battery, which is better than the second battery not being seen at all...

The update required changes to kexts, config.plist, and ACPI, so be sure to follow post #1 regarding github updates.

Please provide feedback, especially if you have two batteries.

Note: Inspired by recent work here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/t450-battery-status-help.190668/

So you have to use newly created config.plist for your appropriate laptop and make the SMBIOS edits for your personalizations? Also, when you go through the update process, do you have to recreate the SSDT file using ssdtPRGen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back