Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] HP Elitebook 8470p Radeon - 10.13+11.+12. | OpenCore

im installing macOS Mojave, With newest OpenCore.

I set csm to enabled, and the screen stretched (bc its 1024x768)

Btw, The Post EFI stuck at boot because SSDT-PM.aml and SSDT-PNLF.aml
Options:
- High Sierra(10.13 - without OCLP)
- Big Sur(what this guide for originally)
- Monterey(with few limitations)

They're not wrong. Legacy Patcher installing back OpenGL AMD related kexts from HS and then works.
Take your time and follow my guide.

Edit: You have QE/CI, i see the screenshot. What was the issue?
Do you have any idea about what are the "OpenGL AMD related kexts" names and where exactly can I extract them from High Sierra?

Do you have any idea about what are the "OpenGL AMD related kexts" names and where exactly can I extract them from High Sierra?
Hi mfoxx5000!

System>Library>Extensions - AMDLegacySupport, AMD6000Controller, AMDRadeonX3000, AMDLegacyFramebuffer at least.

Spec:
BIOS: F.74 (8470p, 8470w, 6470b, 8570p, and 6570b - 68ICE or 68ICF ROM)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3740QM - Ivy Bridge 3rd Gen
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7570M 1GB (LGD0306 - 1600 x 900@60/40hz)
Audio: IDT 92HD81B1X5 & ATI R6xx HDMI
Ethernet: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet
Wireless: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
Touchpad: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
Card reader: JMicron Card Reader

- CPU Power Management (XCPM, X86PP, AGPM)
- dGPU - Backlight Control, Brightness keys, QE/CI-yes, no DRM(ATV+), AGPM
  • External Display: After connecting to a display, either colors are gone wild or you get a freeze. Just restart it. (may helpful to use resXtreme)
- Audio/DisplayPort(HDMI) - IDT 92HD81B1X5 - LayoutID=3 & ATI R6xx HDMI
- Battery Percentage - notification for low battery, AC/DC status, (no cycle count yet)
- Sata Trim support
- SD Card Reader & USB 2.0/3.0
- KeyBoard(FN+Audio/Brightness) & Touchpad(on/off - Tap to click)
- Ethernet & Wifi & Bluetooth 4.0 (BCM20702A0)
- Webcam & Mic
- iServices (App Store, iMessage)
- Boot menu - OpenCanopy
- HandOff, Night Shift

What's not working:
- AirDrop, Continuity(BT. Related)
- Fan rpm and detailed temperature read.(now just basic)

OCLP related:
- Sleep/Wake - in progress
- Some sort of Cosmetic Issues - use Beta Blur
- Widgets - Done button glitch - tap Tab and Space/Enter to ok
- Safari Extensions Tab not allowed you to check any box of it.(Safe boot too) and the warning window is can’t be closed, only restart Safari work.) - You need to sign in and download/install the wanted extensions and enable before you install OCLP. - Newer OCLP fixed.
- The icons on the menu bar changing position occasionally.
- FileVault is unsupported
- SIP and SecureBootModel must be disabled
- Delta updates are unsupported
Thanks for sharing your efforts!!
Your Guide pushed me to look again on my old HP and try OCLP.
I have the same hardware configuration but WiFi - mine is BCM94360HMB.
I also build mine system based on old guide released by Rehabman and then transformed from Clover to Opencore. I have tested your guide and this experience allowed me to fine tune my basic configuration and here are my observations and some remarks:

Basic configuration HighSierra 10.13.6:
works everything you mentioned and despite I have different WiFi I have working: AirDrop, Continuity, WiFi hot spot connection via iPhone, BT hot spot connection via iPhone, AirPods connection, Watch - did not test. Also Sleep/Wake works without any issues like in normal MacBook. I have also different audio configuration 0C000000 (you use 03000000) what allows to use line-in connector on the right side of laptop.
FileVault works. SIP fully enabled (00000000)
UEFI - I am using clean UEFI booting without CSM. It makes higher resolution at booting - specially important with early login-in with FileVault switched on. Despite my efforts I did not make mouse pointer working in FileVault boot. Keyboard is working so I use Tab and Arrows key to put in login credentials. Is it working in your installation?
I have tested SMBIOS MacbookPro9,2 MacBookPro10,1 MacBookPro11,5 and MacBookPro13,3. No difference at all.

Tested configuration Mojave:
I used OCLP 4.3 to make graphics acceleration and SMBIOS MacBookPro10,1. I did not tested other mentioned SMBIOSes. I suppose they are working all. SIP has to be lowered. Finally nice dark mode :)
Everything as above also works but Sleep/Wake is broken and Delta updates, too (did not tested).

Tested configuration Catalina:
The same experience and configuration as with Mojave but I had problem with BrcmPatchRam3. Despite it is written in GitHub it should working with Catalina - it breaks my booting. Forcing to boot with BrcmPatchRam2 (like in Mojave) solved problem. The same issues with Sleep/Wake and updates.

Testing - still - configuration BigSur:
Much more problems to be solved with bluetooth. SIP has to be lowered differently than in Mojave and Catalina. CPU power management is working. Finally I used OCLP 6.1 to make graphics acceleration and SMBIOSes MacBookPro11,5 and MacBookPro13,3 (no difference). Here does not work brightness control via Fn keys (is it really working in your config on BigSur?). There are also some issues with Safari graphics - site icons not showing correctly. The same issues with Sleep/Wake as in Mojave and Catalina. Bluetooh and WiFi working but I have not tested them deeply yet.

Sleep/Wake for me is essential in laptop. Do you have any idea how to solve it?

Thanks for sharing your efforts!!
Your Guide pushed me to look again on my old HP and try OCLP.
I have the same hardware configuration but WiFi - mine is BCM94360HMB.
I also build mine system based on old guide released by Rehabman and then transformed from Clover to Opencore. I have tested your guide and this experience allowed me to fine tune my basic configuration and here are my observations and some remarks:

Basic configuration HighSierra 10.13.6:
works everything you mentioned and despite I have different WiFi I have working: AirDrop, Continuity, WiFi hot spot connection via iPhone, BT hot spot connection via iPhone, AirPods connection, Watch - did not test. Also Sleep/Wake works without any issues like in normal MacBook. I have also different audio configuration 0C000000 (you use 03000000) what allows to use line-in connector on the right side of laptop.
FileVault works. SIP fully enabled (00000000)
UEFI - I am using clean UEFI booting without CSM. It makes higher resolution at booting - specially important with early login-in with FileVault switched on. Despite my efforts I did not make mouse pointer working in FileVault boot. Keyboard is working so I use Tab and Arrows key to put in login credentials. Is it working in your installation?
I have tested SMBIOS MacbookPro9,2 MacBookPro10,1 MacBookPro11,5 and MacBookPro13,3. No difference at all.

Tested configuration Mojave:
I used OCLP 4.3 to make graphics acceleration and SMBIOS MacBookPro10,1. I did not tested other mentioned SMBIOSes. I suppose they are working all. SIP has to be lowered. Finally nice dark mode :)
Everything as above also works but Sleep/Wake is broken and Delta updates, too (did not tested).

Tested configuration Catalina:
The same experience and configuration as with Mojave but I had problem with BrcmPatchRam3. Despite it is written in GitHub it should working with Catalina - it breaks my booting. Forcing to boot with BrcmPatchRam2 (like in Mojave) solved problem. The same issues with Sleep/Wake and updates.

Testing - still - configuration BigSur:
Much more problems to be solved with bluetooth. SIP has to be lowered differently than in Mojave and Catalina. CPU power management is working. Finally I used OCLP 6.1 to make graphics acceleration and SMBIOSes MacBookPro11,5 and MacBookPro13,3 (no difference). Here does not work brightness control via Fn keys (is it really working in your config on BigSur?). There are also some issues with Safari graphics - site icons not showing correctly. The same issues with Sleep/Wake as in Mojave and Catalina. Bluetooh and WiFi working but I have not tested them deeply yet.

Sleep/Wake for me is essential in laptop. Do you have any idea how to solve it?
Hi robik234!

It’s really great to hear your thoughts!

High Sierra:
Obviously a “native” install, so almost working properly.
I leaved the factory stand-alone Broadcom Bluetooth(11 MB/s) module in place, that was enough for me.
Sleep/Wake, i don’t remember with OC, but Clover has worked.
The Audio config following AppleALC documentation has two value 3 and 12 which is “C”. more or less the same function, based on my experience.
UEFI with CSM, i used that settings because i ran into a black screen the end of the booting process(once or twice). link
- i guess that was fixed?
I didn’t used FileVault not once and i don’t remember why.
- besides, do you refer as “mouse pointer” to the “G-H-B” circular trackpoint on keyboard or the touchpad surface?
- The mouse pointer is live its own life. Rehabman voodoops2 is golden.
MacBookPro10,1 fit the best for the hardware.

Mojave, Catalina:
It's a bummer, but i never tried, because it wasn’t exist OCLP back then. (sure, i installed but never with OCLP, because Big Sur was already released.)
- Dark Mode…it was such an expected feature.

So the graphics acceleration is also working on 10.14 and 10.15 with OCLP even though minimum requirements is Big Sur? That’s really nice.

Big Sur:
The right XCPM value was a bit hard to find, but it’s working up to Monterey just fine.(with higher kernel value)
MacBookPro11,5 is working with Big Sur, for Monterey i changed to MacBookPro13,3.

Brightness control: Yes, it’s working. That was such a pain in the a** to find out why is it so stubborn, consumed hours to read the manuals, but in the end, the solution was so simple, just buried deep. You know the phrase "hackintosh is not for lazy people” which is so true. : D …caught up in the moment.

So first question is, did you use the right “.PNLF” and the “applbkl=1” value?
- also working 1 key press which is the “scroll” and “pause” keys, up and down brightness in 8 stages(not 16).

Safari Startpage missing icons is not hackintosh or OCLP related.
Macrumors has an article about under the name “macOS 11.7.3 Breaks Safari Favourite Icons”.

Sleep/Wake request: in the manual link (Wake from sleep...) says “TeraScale 2 GPUs should not exhibit this issue.”

Frankly I put a lot of time into it in the early period with no success and I haven't tried it since, but i’m very welcoming to know if you will find it. I have a hunch you only need the right values in the config.

Well, it was great and exhausting to reply at the same time.

Edit:
- I uploaded a fresh EFI to the main page.

Last edited:
High Sierra:
Obviously a “native” install, so almost working properly.
I leaved the factory stand-alone Broadcom Bluetooth(11 MB/s) module in place, that was enough for me.
Sleep/Wake, i don’t remember with OC, but Clover has worked.
The Audio config following AppleALC documentation has two value 3 and 12 which is “C”. more or less the same function, based on my experience.
UEFI with CSM, i used that settings because i ran into a black screen the end of the booting process(once or twice). link
- i guess that was fixed?
I didn’t used FileVault not once and i don’t remember why.
- besides, do you refer as “mouse pointer” to the “G-H-B” circular trackpoint on keyboard or the touchpad surface?
- The mouse pointer is live its own life. Rehabman voodoops2 is golden.
MacBookPro10,1 fit the best for the hardware.

Hi Dave,
Audio - with 3 in system properties you see only "Built-in Microphone" and "Built-In Output", With C you may also see "Built-in Line Input". May be useful for somebody to use it.

"Mouse Pointer" - I mean arrow cursor. It does not work in Canopy and in early boot login in FileVault mode. Works only keyboard. Opencore is not taking built-in driver form UEFI. The same was in Clover. I tried many UEFI touchpad external drivers but nothing works. I think it is HP UEFI problem.
Mojave, Catalina:
It's a bummer, but i never tried, because it wasn’t exist OCLP back then. (sure, i installed but never with OCLP, because Big Sur was already released.)
- Dark Mode…it was such an expected feature.

So the graphics acceleration is also working on 10.14 and 10.15 with OCLP even though minimum requirements is Big Sur? That’s really nice.

Yes it is working fine - only Sleep/Wake issues.

Big Sur:
The right XCPM value was a bit hard to find, but it’s working up to Monterey just fine.(with higher kernel value)
MacBookPro11,5 is working with Big Sur, for Monterey i changed to MacBookPro13,3.

Brightness control: Yes, it’s working. That was such a pain in the a** to find out why is it so stubborn, consumed hours to read the manuals, but in the end, the solution was so simple, just buried deep. You know the phrase "hackintosh is not for lazy people” which is so true. : D …caught up in the moment.

So first question is, did you use the right “.PNLF” and the “applbkl=1” value?
- also working 1 key press which is the “scroll” and “pause” keys, up and down brightness in 8 stages(not 16).

Safari Startpage missing icons is not hackintosh or OCLP related.
Macrumors has an article about under the name “macOS 11.7.3 Breaks Safari Favourite Icons”.

Sleep/Wake request: in the manual link (Wake from sleep...) says “TeraScale 2 GPUs should not exhibit this issue.”

Frankly I put a lot of time into it in the early period with no success and I haven't tried it since, but i’m very welcoming to know if you will find it. I have a hunch you only need the right values in the config.

Well, it was great and exhausting to reply at the same time.

Edit:
- I uploaded a fresh EFI to the main page.
Of course I did my SSDT-PNLF. Manually, based on Dortania ACPI guide. Prebuilt SSDT generates ACPI error regarding IGP in my configuration but we don't have Intel graphics. After doing that all of them disappeared.
You are right - brightness control works in BigSur. Based on your guide I made change in config. But I copied your typo :) In HighSierra details you wrote "appleblk". Should be "applebkl". Description of Monterey in your guide is correct. After change it in my config brightness controlling in BigSur works, but in strange manner. The control curve is like wave - from dark coming up and down to middle level and coming up and down to middle level. But can be controlled.
Funny thing that typo made this argument inactive but in HS, Mojave and Catalina brightness control works without it and very fluent - from dark to highest level. Adding applbkl=3 makes in HS the same behaviour as in BigSur. Mojave, Catalina - did not check, but suppose the same effect.

Thanks for the info regarding icons. It is fresh problem as I read. Will be solved soon I hope by Apple.
I will check what news do you have in your new EFI later. I am starting winter holidays... :)

Hi Dave,
Audio - with 3 in system properties you see only "Built-in Microphone" and "Built-In Output", With C you may also see "Built-in Line Input". May be useful for somebody to use it.

"Mouse Pointer" - I mean arrow cursor. It does not work in Canopy and in early boot login in FileVault mode. Works only keyboard. Opencore is not taking built-in driver form UEFI. The same was in Clover. I tried many UEFI touchpad external drivers but nothing works. I think it is HP UEFI problem.

Yes it is working fine - only Sleep/Wake issues.

Of course I did my SSDT-PNLF. Manually, based on Dortania ACPI guide. Prebuilt SSDT generates ACPI error regarding IGP in my configuration but we don't have Intel graphics. After doing that all of them disappeared.
You are right - brightness control works in BigSur. Based on your guide I made change in config. But I copied your typo :) In HighSierra details you wrote "appleblk". Should be "applebkl". Description of Monterey in your guide is correct. After change it in my config brightness controlling in BigSur works, but in strange manner. The control curve is like wave - from dark coming up and down to middle level and coming up and down to middle level. But can be controlled.
Funny thing that typo made this argument inactive but in HS, Mojave and Catalina brightness control works without it and very fluent - from dark to highest level. Adding applbkl=3 makes in HS the same behaviour as in BigSur. Mojave, Catalina - did not check, but suppose the same effect.

Thanks for the info regarding icons. It is fresh problem as I read. Will be solved soon I hope by Apple.
I will check what news do you have in your new EFI later. I am starting winter holidays... :)

Audio - 12/“C” value has 3 properties. I missed that.

FileVault is a no go with OCLP, because of the patched root volume/SIP, I read the guide again.
- I think the “early” days with OC on HS just not allowed to use the FileVault something, so never face the cursor issue.
- I assume you familiar with the OC FileVault instruction, furthermore i looked into the Manual, and if you “command+F “ for “FileVault” 4th of 10th result is like the exact problem you said.
- a part from the manual “This can affect OpenCanopy and FileVault 2 user interface responsiveness and loading times. Increasing the polling periods can reduce the impact.”

Mojave, Catalina - thanks, i would looking for it.

Sleep/Wake - as mentioned above, under the OCLP issues, suggest to try 11.2.3. I don't remember trying to get it to work.

Backlight - of course you did, that just a 101 question, which is very helpful at certain times. Like me with “applbkl”.

applbkl - thanks for telling me, I fixed it. Almost funny, when you rely on others, you have the solution, just misspelled a word.

in Terminal - “ioreg -l | grep ApplePanel”
- the curve line is 0, 24, 39, 58, 82, 113, 150, 196, 252.
- 0 to 8 level.(I don't use it above)

“applbkl” value was no need until 11.2.3. It took a lot of time when i finally gave it a try, because it wasn't that obvious what i need. link (bottom of page)

This patch is also controlling the screen PWM under the hood. On Windows/Linux except full brightness you get a pretty bad flickering, if you haven’t noticed before. On macOS all brightness level higher than 240 Hz frequency which is almost good.
- Slo-mo 720p/240 sampling. You can check any other light with this sort of “technique”.

UEFI Native (without CSM) - i don't have much to say about, changed the BIOS/Custom Boot settings and it's working.
- Maybe some of the problems I encountered before were fixed in time.
- What is your BIOS settings?

No problem, on my pleasure!
I was thinking the same thing for your EFI. Happy Holidays! :)

Last edited:
Audio - 12/“C” value has 3 properties. I missed that.

FileVault is a no go with OCLP, because of the patched root volume/SIP, I read the guide again.
- I think the “early” days with OC on HS just not allowed to use the FileVault something, so never face the cursor issue.
- I assume you familiar with the OC FileVault instruction, furthermore i looked into the Manual, and if you “command+F “ for “FileVault” 4th of 10th result is like the exact problem you said.
- a part from the manual “This can affect OpenCanopy and FileVault 2 user interface responsiveness and loading times. Increasing the polling periods can reduce the impact.”

Mojave, Catalina - thanks, i would looking for it.

Sleep/Wake - as mentioned above, under the OCLP issues, suggest to try 11.2.3. I don't remember trying to get it to work.

Backlight - of course you did, that just a 101 question, which is very helpful at certain times. Like me with “applbkl”.

applbkl - thanks for telling me, I fixed it. Almost funny, when you rely on others, you have the solution, just misspelled a word.

in Terminal - “ioreg -l | grep ApplePanel”
- the curve line is 0, 24, 39, 58, 82, 113, 150, 196, 252.
- 0 to 8 level.(I don't use it above)

“applbkl” value was no need until 11.2.3. It took a lot of time when i finally gave it a try, because it wasn't that obvious what i need. link (bottom of page)

This patch is also controlling the screen PWM under the hood. On Windows/Linux except full brightness you get a pretty bad flickering, if you haven’t noticed before. On macOS all brightness level higher than 240 Hz frequency which is almost good.
- Slo-mo 720p/240 sampling. You can check any other light with this sort of “technique”.

UEFI Native (without CSM) - i don't have much to say about, changed the BIOS/Custom Boot settings and it's working.
- Maybe some of the problems I encountered before were fixed in time.
- What is your BIOS settings?

No problem, on my pleasure!
I was thinking the same thing for your EFI. Happy Holidays! :)
Hi Dave,
I have checked my BigSur installation and everything is similar to former systems. Just more graphics glitches and problems which affect also native MacBooks, as described on OCLP site.
I also have checked yours EFI. It is booting to my BigSur. What I see you solved batteries patches in different way than I. What is fine - you reached more extra data about battery but your SSDT-BATT generates a few ACPI errors. Beside this it somehow affects my BT and WiFi, so I decided not to use your idea. Also booting to BigSur takes less time in my configuration. There is a new guide in Dortania about ECEnabler and extra data so in near future I will prepare mine version.
In your config I also found that you have enabled AppleXcpmCfgLock quirk. In MHO it blocks proper CPU power management. You have SSDT-PM so you can switch mentioned quirk off as Dortania guide says.
In your config for BigSur you put applbkl=1. As you know, because you discovered this, it should be 3 :)

I have prepared universal config which works with all systems I installed: HighSierra, Mojave, Catalina, BigSur. Now I have 4 systems on disks to compare them. Here are screenshots:

HighSierra.png

Mojave.PNG
Catalina.PNG
BigSur.png

I still can not get thru Monterey installation. I also tried it with your EFI`s (of course with mine Platforminfo) and they do not work with Monterey installer.
In mentioned above systems works everything, beside wake-up and FCPX.app (just crashing) (in HighSierra works quite well). Of course there are some graphics problems to be solved by OCLP and described in their guide but generally all of them works in proper manner. Even Safari icons hiding in BigSur now is solved by Apple :) with last Safari update.
Wake-up hangs may be solved by disabling sleep at all, like I did -> sleep disable terminal command
That way notebook is usable for me.
FileVault (that in macOS) works even if SIP is disabled. I am sure as I use it even on new BigSur installation. In my config SIP is lowered for level expected by OCLP and universal for every mentioned system. So, for installation purposes and OCLP root actions you do not need to change them.
I am attaching my EFI (of course without MacBook credentials) so you may check what I am writing about.
UEFI Bios settings I will send you some pictures in next post.
Regarding backlight control curve - could you provide again link to guide? That you have pointed in your #1 post is not active.

Attachments

• EFI Universal HS till BigSur.zip
    13.2 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Here you find attached pictures of my UEFI Bios configuration.

Attachments

• UEFI config - pictures.zip
    23.7 MB · Views: 45
Regarding backlight control curve - could you provide again link to guide? That you have pointed in your #1 post is not active.
Hi robik234,

I assume you refer to "Mux". The main page is changed, fixed the link.
You are looking for "No brightness control on Dual GPU laptops" on the webpage.

You were busy, that's for sure. At first glance, there is a lot more going on with your EFI.
I'll go through it and come back.

BTW
Where did you stuck during Monterey installation? My first thought was "iMac17,1 SMBIOS".

Last edited:
Back