Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6200 Pro / 8200 Elite SFF Desktop - macOS Sierra / High Sierra Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@giannis.holoudis, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

@giannis.holoudis, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
Thanks Brebo for your reply I updated the profile. I wish someone which had the same problem could help me

do you need a dedicated gpu for the 8200 elite i5-2400 for it to work?
Absolutely. The HD2000 graphics of the 2400 are not supported.

Greeting ,

I am a newbie on anything Mac, decided to venture into this with my Laptop and desktop.

I first tried out Asus laptop following the start Guide with no luck, my post is in Laptop support.

As I do not have any Mac and yet to have a way to borrow one to create bootable USB flash, I decided to use my desktop HP8200 SFF, i5-2400 , today I went to buy GT210 card but in this part of the world most shops no longer sell new, however I found one new card which is not exactly Asus EN210 , it is Gigabyte GeForce 210, I thought just take it and experiment.

So today I spent a fair amount of time to test out installation of Snow Leopard DVD ( purchased from local Apple Store), on HP8200 with GeForce 210 graphic card, connection is DVI cable from card to a Dell monitor which has DVI. Following the great Guide here, I summarise what I found on my testing:
1. On HP8200 I have follow all the steps in this Guide , so the bios is at v2.29, sata AHCL, serial-port disable etc.
2. Booting with iBoot 3.3.0 is OK on Snow Leopard DVD.
3. smooth sailing upto step 14
14. Complete the setup of Snow Leopard and identify your keyboard.
4. Got stuck with this and did it wrongly...well, so I do from fresh again and second onwards I knew what to do it right.
15. Plug in your Ethernet cable and run Update Helper Click Here Do not skip this step, very important

5. This is the place( step 16 and 17) I started to see problems
16. Reboot. Have the iBoot disk in the CD/DVD drive ( you can't boot from the HDD )
17. Run the 10.6.8 Combo update

on step 16-18 upon reboot I got consistent kernel panic. Tried several boot arguments, and I can boot with -x -v, however, when I plug in USB flash or USB drive onto any USB port ( front or back), the computer will get into kernel panic and stop working, displaying many texts on screen with something like 'your have to restart computer...'

I can get into step 18 , I can download El Capitan , the issue is either USB flash / USB drive would not show up on desktop, or kernel panic when USB flash/drive is plugged into the usb ports.

Here I request help on what to do next in order to get the USB flash working, then I can proceed to create bootable USB flash.

Thank you for any help.
Wayne

I can get into step 18 , I can download El Capitan , the issue is either USB flash / USB drive would not show up on desktop, or kernel panic when USB flash/drive is plugged into the usb ports.

Here I request help on what to do next in order to get the USB flash working, then I can proceed to create bootable USB flash.
I never experienced any USB problems on my HP 8200 with Snow Leopard. Not sure why this is happening. You could try running Multibeast for Snow Leopard and select just the IOUSBfamily Rollback kext. Restart and then see if you can use the usb flash drive.

Screen Shot 17.jpg

Thank you so much trs96,
I followed what you suggested and YES.. my first time seeing Mac on my PC although it works partially, but then it is good enough just to prepare bootable USB flash for El Capitan.

Today I have success installing upto seeing El Capitan desktop .
I am very happy, thanks to your excellent Guides and whoever contributed in some details of the process which is 'way too complex for newbie...

Now I am on EL Capitan desktop, I click to download on macOS High Sierra, it said download complete, while running Unibeast I could not find the supposely highlighted logo of macos High Sierra, as in the attached image.
SeUB0CbLz-5vLdkRONP53n9mRlG7zEeZ0PyKRDkE5kLgRZp9KVEvYPKXqkPxQVbEoXc6YhWpxr2ukk_K0FBJ5-gFRL8dH1TXNYNRtpwRU9AJwx3GTvLfcDaQIdE47qYr5wdFvkqo-LM=w2356-h1766-no

I must have done something wrong..
Please help point to correct way to get the macOS High Sierra.
Thank you
Wayne

ps : in order to keep current situation of El Capitan I put it to Sleep.. I am delighted to find it can wake up buy just moving and hitting the mouse. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the correct version of UniBeast for High Sierra, 8.3.2.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I use the UniBeast 8.3.2, the High Sierra icon shows up, upon selecting it, i have this message "Selected Mac OS installer is Incomplete, your selected Mac OS X installer is the partial installer and doesn't contain everything that UniBeast needs to work correctly".

When I check Application folder, the High Sierra file is just 24.5Mbytes and it is not the OS.. which should have many GB in size.

Can someone help me how to find the complete macos High Sierra ?

Thank you

edit 1 : google leads me to this link
cleardot.gif

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cted-mac-os-x-installer-is-incomplete.249330/

currently learning how to use a terminal and following the instruction by toro86...wish me luck...

EDIT 2:
I am now a happy newbie...:)
follow the guide above, and I am able to complete the 'macos High Sierra' download, follow by creating bootable USB flash with UniBeast 8.3.2. I saw the UniBeast showing 8.3.1 but read somewhere in the forum that it has already known.

Thanks to Obvious Answer Man, toro86 etc for direction and guides ..

Just one more comment, might well be helping some others who are afraid of Terminal...
to follow the above guide all I need is type Terminal on the search ( top right corner), then a terminal icon appear on bottom taskbar, click it to get into the terminal. No need to type the command, all you need to do is copy the whole line, then move cursor to Terminal and paste there...
One less fear on the journey.

Last edited:
Iv managed to follow the guide and can boot fine into Mac OS high Sierra from the usb. But when attempting to boot without I get stuck with a kernel panic saying “stuck at attempting system restart... MACH Reboot”

Any ideas what’s causing this. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back