Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] How to install macOS 14 Sonoma on Z390 Aorus Elite motherboard using OpenCore

@Cosmix
You are giving good help to @hungdv but I have 2 comments:
  • Rear USB 2 ports are all appended to one internal USB 2 hub. According to what I have read, these internal USB ports can have in the kext type 255 (Internal) or type 3 (USB 3 and USB 2 ports). I've tried mine and I haven't seen any difference between type 255 or 3 in the internal USB 2 port.
  • The guides posted by you are fine, 2 years ago I made my USB port map with Hackintool method. Nowadays I think the easiest method is USBTool in Windows. But if you don't have Windows installed, it may not be worth installing it just for this task.

Last edited:
After choose Install from OC 0.9.8 boot loader, i get stuck. See pic bellow...

+ Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
+ i5-9600K
+ RX 580

About your EFI:
  • Your CPU actually doesn't need CPUFriend.kext or CPUFriendDataProvider.kext but, if you use them, CPUFriend.kext must be BEFORE CPUFriendDataProvider.kext in config.plist. Try without them or with them in the right order
  • Already said by @Cosmix, Lilu must be the first kext; it's true that, since IntelMausi.kext is not a Lilu plugin, it can be before Lilu but it's a good practice to set Lilu always the first
  • VirtualSMC.kext can be in the second place
  • USBToolBox.kext must be before UTBMap.kext (it's okey in config.plist)
  • iMac19,1 doesn't need RestrictEvents.kext (disable it)
  • Try without NVMeFix.kext, although it can work on Sonoma its support is not complete
  • Try removing SATA Hot Plug patch (Kernel >> Patch)
  • Try SecureBootModel=x86legacy.
Remember, one change at a time to see when you fix the issue.

@Cosmix
You are giving good help to @hungdv but I have 2 comments:
  • Rear USB 2 ports are all appended to one internal USB 2 hub. According to what I have read, these internal USB ports can have in the kext type 255 (Internal) or type 3 (USB 3 and USB 2 ports). I've tried mine and I haven't seen any difference between type 255 or 3 in the internal USB 2 port.
  • The guides posted by you are fine, 2 years ago I made my USB port map with Hackintool method. Nowadays I think the easiest method is USBTool in Windows. But if you don't have Windwos installed, it may not be worth installing it just for this task.
Hello,
Just for reference, from Gigabyte's page :

1709578668356.png

1709578732222.png

1709578781826.png

So, in my answer, I took into consideration the above info regarding USB's type.
If my approach is wrong, then please discard (delete ) it.
==============
I own more computers, I have acces to whatever I need ( Win, macOS, Linux, VMware WS Pro ).
They are multi-boot, each OS has its own storage.

But I really dis-like some tools ( in no particular order )

1) USBTool in Windows
- it generates 2 files

2) OCAuxiliaryTools ( anywhere it can be run )
- I do not like the the generated config.plist
- some info is missing :
1709580362126.png

- it adds stupid data (see below).
1709580033839.png

Bottom line : I do not like/trust/use/etc "some configurators" ... :(

I do prefer Hackintool / ProperTree for building USB map(s).

Cheers :)

@Cosmix
Your arguments are totally valid. Since there are 3 main ways to map USB ports, each person can choose which one to use. They have advantages and disadvantages.

USBToolBox's main disadvantage is the need for Windows (important disadvantage). But it really has 2 ways to get the result, one needs 2 files (USBToolBox + UTBMap) but another needs only one file USBMap.kext (use native Apple classes - AppleUSBHostMergeProperties - L option in settings menu).

For me who change often SMBIOS when I test, the 2 file method has the advantage of being independent of the SMBIOS model. All other methods (USBToolBox with AppleUSBHostMergeProperties, corpnewt, Hackintool...) force you to modify the map's config.plist file when changing to another SMBIOS.

Either way, the important thing is that the chosen method is well understood and easy to implement by the user. And get a USB port map that works well on our system.

Note: I have never done this with OCAT, I can't comment on this tool.

EFI with OpenCore 0.9.9

config-14-imac-amd.plist

• SMBIOS iMac19,1
  • IMPORTANT: fill in your own SMBIOS data
  • iGPU headless mode and AMD as main card
  • iGPU Enabled in BIOS
  • unfairgva=6 in dGPU properties to get some kind of DRM
config-14-macpro.plist
  • SMBIOS MacPro7,1
  • IMPORTANT: fill in your own SMBIOS data
  • iGPU disabled in BIOS
config-extra
  • config-fenvi.plist: if you have a Fenvi combo card or any of the Broadcom wifi chipsets that have lost support in Sonoma and are included in the OCLP root patch
  • config-amfipass.plist: to have the Fenvi card with AMFIpass.kext instead of amfi=0x80 in boot args
  • config-ax210.plist: if you have an Intel AX210 combo card (only wifi) (this file has AirportItlwm.kext but you can try itlwm.kext instead)
  • config-ax210-bt.plist: if you have an Intel AX210 combo card (wifi + Bluetooth) (this file has AirportItlwm.kext but you can try itlwm.kext instead).
Notes

Attachments

• EFI 0.9.9 Sonoma.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Back