Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Haswell System - MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 OC 0.7.5

Yes Ventura will work, but with two major caveats:
  1. You need a natively supported discrete AMD GPU, from the RX400/RX500 series or newer.
  2. The IGPU needs to be disabled in the bios, with all graphics processing undertaken by the AMD dGPU.
Then using the iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS the EFI will work in Ventura on an Asus Z97-K system. I am writing this post from the Asus Z97-K running Ventura 13.0.1.

You also need to edit the USBPorts.kext/Contents/Info.plist to reflect the change of the Apple model you are using.

hey @Edhawk sorry for bothering u, happy new year!
i recently updated my build with new hardware, i mean: 32gb ddr3 1600mhz and xfx rx580 8gb on a msi z97-pc mate and i 5-4690k.
i'm new to opencore bootloader so could u kindly attach an efi folder for my build and any advice to get things ok?

hey @Edhawk sorry for bothering u, happy new year!
i recently updated my build with new hardware, i mean: 32gb ddr3 1600mhz and xfx rx580 8gb on a msi z97-pc mate and i 5-4690k.
i'm new to opencore bootloader so could u kindly attach an efi folder for my build and any advice to get things ok?
read post 1 and create your own

ok i'll try, one more question: do i have any chances to install ventura on this build?
best to use Monterey with your hardware

With an Nvidia GTX 670 you are best off installing Big Sur.

The Kepler drivers were removed from Monterey during the beta testing phase. So Big Sur is the last release of macOS to support the Nvidia Kepler series of GPU's natively.

You may be able to update to an early version of Monterey using Chris1111's Kepler patches, but later versions don't work with the patches. Hence the recommendation that you install Big Sur.

The EFI's provided in this thread will work in Big Sur without too many edits.
  • Either 0B001204 or 04001204 will need to be used in the DeviceProperties section of the config for the HD4600 IGPU.
  • Realtek8111.kext will be required for your Ethernet controller.
  • USBPorts.kext will not work with your motherboard, you will have to follow the guide to create your own.
  • You will need to provide new SMBIOS data.
Those are the items I would change in order to boot Big Sur on your system.

If you want to create a custom USBPorts.kext using UtterDisbelief's guide (linked below) you may be better served installing macOS Catalina 10.15.7, as the Kernel > Quirk > XhciPortLimit when Enabled, works in Catalina. It stopped working with Big Sur 11.3 or newer.

Creating the USBPorts.kext in Catalina is much easier than in one of the later versions of Big Sur.

That being the case, you would need to edit the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries in the config.plist to suit the APFS version used in Catalina.

Data required for the two entries is shown below.

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 21.03.19.png

With an Nvidia GTX 670 you are best off installing Big Sur.

The Kepler drivers were removed from Monterey during the beta testing phase. So Big Sur is the last release of macOS to support the Nvidia Kepler series of GPU's natively.

You may be able to update to an early version of Monterey using Chris1111's Kepler patches, but later versions don't work with the patches. Hence the recommendation that you install Big Sur.

The EFI's provided in this thread will work in Big Sur without too many edits.
  • Either 0B001204 or 04001204 will need to be used in the DeviceProperties section of the config for the HD4600 IGPU.
  • Realtek8111.kext will be required for your Ethernet controller.
  • USBPorts.kext will not work with your motherboard, you will have to follow the guide to create your own.
  • You will need to provide new SMBIOS data.
Those are the items I would change in order to boot Big Sur on your system.

If you want to create a custom USBPorts.kext using UtterDisbelief's guide (linked below) you may be better served installing macOS Catalina 10.15.7, as the Kernel > Quirk > XhciPortLimit when Enabled, works in Catalina. It stopped working with Big Sur 11.3 or newer.

Creating the USBPorts.kext in Catalina is much easier than in one of the later versions of Big Sur.

That being the case, you would need to edit the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries in the config.plist to suit the APFS version used in Catalina.

Data required for the two entries is shown below.

View attachment 560981
i updated to xfx rx 580 8gb that's why i bought it to upgrade to monterey

done now, anyway with ventura after the boot screen from usb stick and installer chosen it gets: apple start failed and the denial logo
this thread is for Monterey, hence the reason it is in Monterey Desktop Guide

use Monterey for proper support

Back