Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dec 22 2018 - This project has been successful in terms of installing macOS Mojave 10.14 and currently is functioning well (with huge thanks to @RehabMan for his help and patience) - all known issues have been addressed. The attached files are up to date as of Dec 22 2018.
If you use the instructions in this post remember to update kexts as appropriate if there are newer versions. Kext Updater is useful for doing that.

This post is updated as a result of lessons learnt during the course of the project e.g. the bios settings supersede the settings stated in one of the early posts in the thread.

The BRIX performs well and has a geekbench score a bit better than my Mac Mini 2012 i5

Overview of Items Currently working and any known issues.

Machine boots and operates macOS Mojave
Audio works
4k display works
Sleep works
Ethernet works
Wifi works - having removed original m.2 Wifi/BT module and replaced with BCM94352Z BT/Wifi m.2 module
Bluetooth works - having removed original m.2 Wifi/BT module and replaced with BCM94352Z BT/Wifi m.2 module
FaceTime and Messages work
Airdrop works well
Handoff works well

Jettison App resolves an issue with USB HDD's on the Front USB3.1 USB-C and USB-A ports not unmounting correctly at sleep.

BIOS Settings used with BIOS F10
IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0401.JPG IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0403.JPG IMG_0404.JPG IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

Kexts, SSDT's used and config.plist used to achieve functionality below.

kexts.zip

SSDTs.zip

config.plist.zip

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Prepare Bios for macOS installation as per the attached screenshots
2a) Create Unibeast Mojave installer
2b) When Unibeast finishes creating the installer it will mount the EFI partition, open this and edit EFI/Clover/config.plist so that
SMBIOS > ProductName is iMac18,1 instead of iMac14,2. Save the config.plist. (Use a plist editor to do this I use PlistEditPro
which you can download free).
3) Boot the Brix using modified Installer (I recommend having just the one drive installed in the BRIX at this point).
4) Follow standard Unibeast instructions and install macOS Mojave.
5) On completion of OS install, install latest version of clover to the newly created Mojave system drive.
6) Ensure EFI partition of system drive is mounted
7a) Apply files from this guide as follows
7b) Copy config.plist to /EFI/Clover and replace existing file
7c) Copy the SSDT's to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched
7d) Copy all drivers to /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI
7e) Copy all kexts to desktop and install correctly to Library/Extensions using kextbeast.

Link to Jettison App https://www.stclairsoft.com/Jettison/ its very cheap at $4.95 and well worth it to address the issue with drives attached to Front USB ports not un-mounting properly at sleep.

Alternate method of making all USB ports work is to use a USB Port Injector kext - I have created one and it is attached to this post - requires removing EHC01 and EHC02 renames from the ACPI/DSDT/Patches in the config.plist, deleting the SSDT-UIAC from EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched and removal of USBinjectAll.kext.

NOTES
Remember either copy the required files from this post to a USB stick or use an ethernet connection to connect and download from here as the WIFI will not work until the necessary kexts are applied.
Remember these instructions and kexts are based on using the BCM94352Z BT/Wifi m.2 module

This post was the original that started this thread as a result of me buying a Kaby Lake 7th Gen Gigabyte BRIX S (BKi3HA-7100) and doing a search which revealed no instance of anyone having posted a guide. This thread will be used to get the Brix working and hopefully will provide insight to others attempting the same. It is hoped that on achieving max functionality this Brix will be added to Rehabman's excellent build repository.

Attachments

• kexts.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 520
  • SSDTs.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 470
  • config.plist.zip
    3 KB · Views: 469
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Thanks to @RehabMan I have gained a little knowledge about adjusting the Bios on the BRIX to accommodate installing Mojave. Currently trying to understand what other things I need to do to make the UniBeast created USB installation stick boot into macOS install.

So far I have
1. created a standard UniBeast USB install stick
2. Set optimised defaults in the Brix Bios
3. Enabled CSM Support in the Bios and set storage to Legacy.
4. Disabled VT-d
5. Set BIOS to boot from M.2 drive as default

I have then tried booting but can't get past the Apple Logo

I tried enabling USB injection and Ownership fix on Clover boot (saw that in another thread) but that made no difference.

I am wondering if I need to set a FakeCPUID for this processor after all (I had thought Kaby Lake CPU's were now native for macOS)

@RehabMan I just found an old post of yours from a little over a year ago regarding the exact model of Brix I am using and wonder what is different now since the arrival of WhateverGreen in its current format to the advice you gave @j4s0n in THIS POST. I have opened the config.plist on my USB installer and edited the config list as suggested in that post but I have latest versions of LILU.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in my Kexts/Other folder as opposed to the ones referred to in that post. I See that you recommended using "config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=native-id (eg. 0x59128086)" and "config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x59120000"

So I loaded Clover from the install stick and selected Options Graphics Injector - from there I saw that Card Device ID was 5916 so I took the USB installer to one of my other machines and edited the config.plist using PlistEditPro as follows

config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x59168086
config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x59160000

When I try and boot the installer on the BRIX I get to the Apple Logo and it stops - booting with -v tells me it stops after End RandomSeed. Am attaching the config.plist file in a zip.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 91
@RehabMan I just found an old post of yours from a little over a year ago regarding the exact model of Brix I am using and wonder what is different now since the arrival of WhateverGreen in its current format to the advice you gave @j4s0n in THIS POST. I have opened the config.plist on my USB installer and edited the config list as suggested in that post but I have latest versions of LILU.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in my Kexts/Other folder as opposed to the ones referred to in that post. I See that you recommended using "config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=native-id (eg. 0x59128086)" and "config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x59120000"

So I loaded Clover from the install stick and selected Options Graphics Injector - from there I saw that Card Device ID was 5916 so I took the USB installer to one of my other machines and edited the config.plist using PlistEditPro as follows

config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x59168086
config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x59160000

When I try and boot the installer on the BRIX I get to the Apple Logo and it stops - booting with -v tells me it stops after End RandomSeed. Am attaching the config.plist file in a zip.
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@RehabMan Please find attached zip of EFI Folder from my Mojave install stick - I have not got past the Apple Logo yet on the Gigabyte BRIX S BKi3HA-7100. As far as the hardware in the BRIX I have an Integral V Series SSD 120GB, Apacer AS2280 M.2 240GB and Crucial DDR4-2133 4GB stick.

This time I have tried to follow the instructions for using WhateverGreen posted by @headkaze in this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

I still got no further than the Apple Logo this time.

attached EFI Folder from install stick and jpg of verbose screen

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 285
@RehabMan Please find attached zip of EFI Folder from my Mojave install stick - I have not got past the Apple Logo yet on the Gigabyte BRIX S BKi3HA-7100. As far as the hardware in the BRIX I have an Integral V Series SSD 120GB, Apacer AS2280 M.2 240GB and Crucial DDR4-2133 4GB stick.

This time I have tried to follow the instructions for using WhateverGreen posted by @headkaze in this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

I still got no further than the Apple Logo this time.

attached EFI Folder from install stick and jpg of verbose screen

Make sure you're using a USB2 stick.

Make sure you're using a USB2 stick.
Thank you for that - I thought I was using a USB2 stick but when I checked it was indeed a USB3 - have gone out and bought a USB2 stick this morning and created a new installer - in the process of trying it right now.

@RehabMan I bought two different USB2 stick and have now tried them both I am still getting exactly the same error using the EFI Folder I attached in my previous message. So am fairly certain that the issue is not caused by the type of USB stick - I still suspect user error on my part. Did my EFI Folder and the config.plist in it look OK to you?

Edited to add - I have installed Win 10 on the other drive in the BRIX just to make sure it is all working fine - no issues. I have also updated the bios to the latest version 10 for this BRIX.

@RehabMan I bought two different USB2 stick and have now tried them both I am still getting exactly the same error using the EFI Folder I attached in my previous message. So am fairly certain that the issue is not caused by the type of USB stick - I still suspect user error on my part. Did my EFI Folder and the config.plist in it look OK to you?

Edited to add - I have installed Win 10 on the other drive in the BRIX just to make sure it is all working fine - no issues. I have also updated the bios to the latest version 10 for this BRIX.

Check your BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back