Contribute
Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

lamacchiacosta said:
At the moment everything seem to work but the Firewire.

Do you managed to have the onboard firewire working?

In my experience the on board firewire on this motherboard is not stable - it worked for me but after awhile it wouldn't. It might a driver issue or hardware. I recommend a Mac-compatible PCI-e Firewire card is you're serious about using FW.

VeloLoser said:
I've got some basic questions about this mobo (I'm trying to understand all of this)...

I understand that I have four 6Gb/s SATA ports and three 3Gb/s ports. Can I just use any of these for my mechanical HD's or should I use the 3Gb/s ones? I guess with an SDD I'd use the 6Gb/s ones.

How do I connect an older IDE DVD burner to the mobo or is it even possible?

IDE vs AHCI One of the things I did to get my system to to boot was change to IDE in the BIOS. I'm not sure if that helped or not. Does this matter? I know that with AHCI you get hot swappable drives etc.

It's funny how experienced Mac guys are clueless about the basics of computer connections etc. Haha.

AHCI is required to boot and install Mac OS X so leave that enabled. If you're using mechanical drives I doubt it will matter which SATA port you pick, go for the one that gives you the best cable management. For an SSD I suppose a 6 GB/s port makes sense if it really is a SATA III drive, can't hurt. Again, I'd love to see if benchmarks show any differences since the bandwidth limit is higher than any sustained I/O even on SSDs.

There are no IDE ports on this MB (confusing I know since it talks about IDE mode over SATA in the BIOS). That old DVD won't work.

Looking over the screenshot of your MultiBeast checklist (on page 1), I noticed you ticked the checkbox for '64-bit Apple Boot Screen'.

I remember looking this over last time I used MB, but decided not to choose that or any of the other selections under that section. I don't recall what the description said, but....
Would you please explain why you chose this option?

I can't install Lion.
My config: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - i5-2400 (Bios F10) - nVidia GT 4300 - 8GB Corsair Vengeange DD3 - SSD Crucial M4 128GB.

BIOS config: Load Optimized Default, PCH Sata AHCI, GSATA3 Ctrl Mode AHCI, HPET Mode 64-bit.

I use unibeast.

When I boot with Unibeast, OSX load but stop on Apple logo and not go forward.
If I use GraphicsEnabler=No the osx installation start with low resolution and work fine.
But when I reboot, OSX still stop on Apple logo. I tryed again to use GraphicsEnabler=No (and -x) but it still stop in Apple logo and I can't start OSX.

Can you help me?

Thank you in advance.

Gordo74 said:
Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 – Clean Lion Install - Attached Doc for to print off too!

**To note: This guide WILL work for ANY of the CustoMac builds with the exception of the network driver; be sure to choose the correct network driver, if one does not work, try another (just use the correct DSDT for the motherboard you are using from the database dsdt.php)**

Hardware:

**Note: For more detailed information on the hardware see my User Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=32313

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 – Bios: F9 – Rev. 1.3
i5 2500K
16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM – G.Skill Ripjaws
ATI 6870 – XFX HD-687A-ZHFC (Also works with Gigabyte GV-R687OC-1GD)
Crucial C300 64GB SSD
xMoved Lion USB Drive (See #0 below)
Blank DVD(or CD works fine too) and USB drive

Steps: (Checkboxes added for printing pleasure)

:ch:0. Use xMove to put the Lion install on a USB Drive (Or Unibeast - UNIBEAST IS PREFERRED METHOD, just use it instead of rboot in this guide). Instead of creating a partition, just point the xMove installer to a blank (formatted in disk utility) USB drive (8GB or higher required)
:ch:1. Download rBoot, MultiBeast 4.0.2 or higher, 10.7.2 or higher Combo update
:ch:2. Burn rBoot to Disk and put MB (MultiBeast), Combo update, and DSDT from DSDT database (dsdt.php) on your blank USB Drive
:ch:3. Plug in xMove’d Lion install drive, Turn on target comp and go into BIOS
:ch:4. Change HPET to 64-bit
:ch:5. Set BIOS to use ACHI instead of IDE
:ch:6. Boot from DVD drive into rBoot (Or UniBeast Drive)
:ch:7. Select xMove’d USB drive (Or UniBeast Drive)
:ch:8. Hit enter
:ch:9. Install OSX with whatever options you choose (if your disk doesn’t show up, click on utilities at the top and then go into disk utility and format the drive)
:ch:10. After reboot, put the rBoot DVD back in (or boot to UniBeast Drive)
:ch:11. Hover over your new OSX install and then hit enter
:ch:12. Welcome to OSX, our work isn’t done
:ch:13. Once you are on your desktop, plug in the USB Drive with the stuff on it from #1, place DSDT on the desktop and open Combo Update and MB.
:ch:15. Install Combo update, do NOT restart
:ch:16. Select the options as in my this screenshot for MB,
** NOTE: If using another board and using this guide, use EasyBeast instead of userDSDT install and also select your audio chipset**
** ANOTHER NOTE: Multibeast MAY crash at this step, taking all the other installers with it. Simply ignore it and reopen Multibeast and run with these options. **
**FINAL NOTE: Do NOT use the Official Realtek drivers (known to KP under high network load), see the FAQ below if the Ethernet in Multibeast does not work!**
Screen Shot 2011-09-14 at 12.02.05 PM.png
:ch:17. Reboot after that is all done.
:ch:18. You SHOULD be done now with a fully working, fully vanilla install of OSX 10.7.1 running 64bit and native graphics drivers.

**OPTIONAL (If you want to OC)** You can now overclock via the base multiplier. See more at my write up here:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=20136

FAQ:

1. My sound isn’t working!
a. I had that problem too, simply run MultiBeast again checking System Utilities, and under Audio make sure Realtek 8xx and HDA Rollback are checked. Run it and reboot.

2. Something graphics related isnt working!
a. Head over to the graphics subforum here: viewforum.php?f=15 This thread is NOT for graphics help.

3. My network card isnt working!
a. Download (and install) Lnx2Mac's new driver here :
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrt ... river.html

4. I sometimes get random KP's relating to AppleCPuPowerManagement!
a. Make sure the C-States and EIST are ENABLED (not Auto) in the BIOS.

5. Gordo, I posted a question but you haven't answered it and you're answering everyone else!
a. That means your question was already answered in this thread. Look through it.

Conclusion:

This guide closely resembles my P67 guide, however, this allows for a clean Lion install using TonyMacx86 methods. It is the first of its kind and if you have any questions, ask away. This build is lightning quick and can run anything I throw at it, however, the graphics card fan is a little noisy (see my user build link at the top on this). You can use any supported graphics card that is included in GraphicsEnabler=Yes with this guide. I am currently running dual monitors as well (One on Main DVI, other on HDMI). This also worked on the Gigabyte card I tested.
Please post some Screenshot of your BIOS configuration. I have same specs as yours but I am having problem Installing Lion. I get lots of KPs and I can't get the right BIOS Settings. Please Help...

Last edited by a moderator:

wcg66 said:
In my experience the on board firewire on this motherboard is not stable - it worked for me but after awhile it wouldn't. It might a driver issue or hardware. I recommend a Mac-compatible PCI-e Firewire card is you're serious about using FW.

I installed a couple of firewire cards:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-FW-800-Ca ... f_sc_p_t_4

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCI-FIREWIRE-40 ... f=pd_ybh_5

but still quite unstable.
Please is there anything I can do to improve it?

Many thanks.

On the same build here.

Got it up and running and installed fine. 90% of the time the system worked great and really fast but I got the "Please Shutdown your computer" panic error now and then when I was in the middle of working which really drives me crazy

I'm using it as a music machine for Logic.

I have a Firewire Saffire LE audio interface, several USB devices (Mouse, Keyboard, MIDI Keyboard, Virus Ti Synthesizer)

Is it the FW audio interface causing this?

First off a big thank you to TonyMac, and Macman for making this resource, and to Gordo for his guide on the clean Lion install. Also thanks to all those who post problems and solutions, especially those that come back and let you know what worked.

I had some trouble to begin with. I would get to the Tonymac screen but then no farther. My system would go dark, and the monitor would lose feed. Trying flags didn’t seem to help, and I never saw what I was typing, (not sure if that’s normal or not).

Then after making sure I had all the stuff right in the bios, including the eist, and c-states I would get to the Tonymac screen, get to the gray apple, the wheel spins and few time then the screen goes dark. Again flags didn’t make a difference. I final noticed when I’m on the Tonymac boot screen and press the down arrow I get a list. Boot, Boot Verbose , Boot Ignore Cache, Boot Single User, Memory Info, Video Info, Help. The –v, -f, -s…

I final found this thread, http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... e&start=10, which was what I had show up –v, I did get different results with the other flags. Also in this process I rebuilt my thumb drive etc… so change to the upper plug up the card.

So final I get it to load. I put the multibeast and dsdt on and I’m up and running. Used the Gordo list for multibeast. The firewire works, the eSATA port works, audio, ethernet I have since used the migration to move over the stuff from my laptop. So now I await a couple cables to get my last couple hard drive in the box, new monitor, new CS software, and I’ll be good to go…

Hi Gordo and friends,

I have the same mobo and processor but im using a nvidia 9600gt video card. it once worked with snow leopard with some drivers i had to install. Im not sure if my 9600gt is already broken but only one dvi-d works. It also doesn't work in windows 7. i think it may have been broken when i received a defective ud3h-b3.

But anyway, i just want to ask is there's a way to use my discrete video card with the on-board dvi of the ud3h-b3 at the same time? Coz i use dual monitor and the second dvi-d of my videocard just gave up on me.

Or perhaps you might have any other suggestions, besides buying a new videocard coz i still don't have a budget for it.

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back