Contribute
Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

FZ1 said:
Maybe a silly question but in MB you never specify a system definition. I never did and mine seems to be set at MacPro3,1. I'm wondering why not 4,1 or 5,1?

*EDIT* i see that it defaults to this...still wondering what the difference is for 4,1 or 5,1
3,1 is for Sandy Bridge 4,1 works for X58 and 5,1 sometimes works for Dual Socket but mostly doesn't works at all.

XLR said:
FZ1 said:
Maybe a silly question but in MB you never specify a system definition. I never did and mine seems to be set at MacPro3,1. I'm wondering why not 4,1 or 5,1?

*EDIT* i see that it defaults to this...still wondering what the difference is for 4,1 or 5,1
3,1 is for Sandy Bridge 4,1 works for X58 and 5,1 sometimes works for Dual Socket but mostly doesn't works at all.
Thank you!

Hi,

great guide, got my new system almost working :)

I do however get a KP during first boot after installation of multibeast and combo update to 10.7.2.
It panics on AppleCPuPowerManagement, and says something about HPET.

I have the gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3 rev1.0 F8, which is in the customac pro build.
Ive followed your guide, with the corresponding DSDT from the database her, and ticked of what you suggest in multibeast, then this KP every time i boot...

I have done this:
4. I sometimes get random KP's relating to AppleCPuPowerManagement!
a. Make sure the C-States and EIST are ENABLED (not Auto) in the BIOS.

but still KP on AppleCPuPowerManagement.
Suggestions are very welcome :)

UPDATE:
I now have a fully functioning system :) using the same procedure as in this guide,
but i did not choose Motherboard Plugins under FakeSMC Plugins, and 64 BIT Apple boot screen.

Thanks for a great guide :)

joransrb said:
UPDATE:
I now have a fully functioning system :) using the same procedure as in this guide,
but i did not choose Motherboard Plugins under FakeSMC Plugins, and 64 BIT Apple boot screen.

May have just been luck as "UserDSDT Install" installs those two things anyway.

Gordo, thanks mucho for your excellent tutorial. I'm up and running for a week without any noticeable problems. A few questions, if you don't mind:

1) I have Lion on a Crucial M4 64 GB SSD. Should I install trim support from multi-beast? If I do, will it result in maintaining good performance over the long term?

2) I am using the integrated HD3000 graphics. In order to get full resolution (1080P), I used the Mac Mini profile. Is there any downside to selecting this? Was this the correct way of going about this?

3) Since there is a new dsdt for this board running bios F10, should I upgrade from the dstd created for F9?

4) On your recommendation, I purchased the Fractal Design R3 which by the way is an outstanding case. Have you added any extra fans (besides the included 2)? And if so, what kind and where in the case would/did you place them?

Once again, thanks for all your help. I have followed your threads since May 2011, and your explanations are always clear and complete. You and Stork rock!!

Jim

Gordo,

Just wanted to add my voice to the list of those saying thanks. I used this guide to set up my hack this week and so far everything is working nearly flawlessly, even sleep (I always wake using the computer power button, so no issues having to unplug/plug wired AL KB) and the Gigabyte back panel Firewire port.

I did deviate from your post in a few ways though:

- I did NOT check IOACHIBlockStorageInjector or 64-bit bootscreen since those are redundant with the other options checked as I understand it (3rd part ACHCI and User DSDT, respectively)
- I used the Realtek driver since Lnx2Mac's driver causes sleep issues for me

I am very pleased with my computer - it's running silently and reliably and it's WAY faster than my outgoing 2010 Santa Rosa Macbook Pro.

so THANK YOU and thanks to TonyMac for this awesome resource! Heading off to hit the Contribute button now...

Gordo74 said:
joransrb said:
UPDATE:

May have just been luck as "UserDSDT Install" installs those two things anyway.

ok...? well then i guess i was lucky ;)

LaForce said:
Hi,
I tried to install or a friend a motherboard of lion Z68x-UD3H-B3 F10 with unibeast, although I get to boot on the usb but it stops at the blank screen of the apple (it runs five times and image freezes).
So everything in the bios is enabled AHCI, HPET x64 by following the tutorial, I tried a lot of manipulation by removing the graphics card, while the PCI through the minimum, but still the same problem
Is there a solution, thanks you for helping me :beachball:

I5 2500K
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
8GB Corsair Vengeance
HD5830 512Mb
Corsair GT 120GB Sata III

The key contains unibeast installing Mac OS X Lion, DSDT GA-Z68X-UD3H-F10 and multibeast
did you try HD3000 ? (no external gfx card)

i don't know if 5830 can working oob.

budiosx said:
Sleep - General Troubleshooting Tips :
===========================

1. You must have the proper DSDT edits as per this post. All of the Gigabyte DSDTs in the DSDT Database are edited properly for sleep.
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html

2. To enable sleep, make sure to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

3. Make sure you check all of the checkboxes in System Preferences/Energy Saver as shown in the picture below.

Screen+shot+2009-12-04+at+12.39.00+PM.png

4. Make sure your DSDT is named DSDT.aml and found in /Extra folder.

Thanks!!!! It works! my BIOS version is F8.

Gordo74,

I tried to follow your post to install Lion on my GA-z68X-UD3H-B3 with an nVidia GTS 250. When boot with rboot and select my USB drive that I created with Unibeast, it starts to boot OS X only to flicker and give me a black screen shortly into the process.

I have been able to install Snow Leopard, but once I try to update with 10.6.8 combo, I get a blank screen. I don't know if these issues are related or not.

Do you have any suggestions?

Buttord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back