Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

Pieroman69 said:
XLR said:
cneo said:
everything works out of box, except when computer sleeps... keyboard doesn't work -- needs replugging or swift kick.
Same here, if you find a solution - please let us know.

Some people report that using the Realtek network driver instead of Lnx2mac solves this USB sleep issue. Is the realtek driver that bad compared to Lnx2mac on the rest ?

If you use the official driver, and throughput more than 3MB/sec over multiple connections in something such as t*****ting, it will kernel panic. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Gordo74 for the great guide. This was my first build and all appears to be working except for my dual display setup.

I have posted for help in the Graphics section.

This post was very helpful for me as i have a very similar setup.. and i wanted to make sure i was running multibeast correctly...

ps don't install the mac-pro 5.1 logo you will earn a KP on reboot for some reason

the system hangs! :x

Code:
ALC8xxHDA.kext + DSDT from Here
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
AHCI_3rdParty_eSATA.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
SuperIOFamily.kext
NVClockX.kext 
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
PXHCD.kext
RealtekRTL81xx.kext

I am having issues with wake from sleep. I have to disconnect/reconnect my 1st generation 27in cinema display after waking the computer otherwise audio and video hang. It has the latest firmware provided by apple. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

For those playing at home, I have been unable to get the FireWire 400 port on this build to work at all. The disks are fine on other systems (Macs and an SX38 Hac) but will not mount on this one. The device will be visible in System Profiler but no volumes will be presented to the user in Disk Utility or elsewhere.

The USB 3 problems with this system (the disks spontaneously ejecting and then not being available until you reboot) seem to be driver related since the USB 3 drivers in MultiBeast aren't mature enough for production use.

If USB3 and FW are important, either consider a different board, or plan to acquire and test PCI cards that are better supported.

To follow-up with my previously Networking issue, I've been using the RealTek drivers and haven't had any kernel panics I could pin on it. I had a problem with the switch I was connected to that was likely contributing.

inc said:
For those playing at home, I have been unable to get the FireWire 400 port on this build to work at all. The disks are fine on other systems (Macs and an SX38 Hac) but will not mount on this one. The device will be visible in System Profiler but no volumes will be presented to the user in Disk Utility or elsewhere.

The USB 3 problems with this system (the disks spontaneously ejecting and then not being available until you reboot) seem to be driver related since the USB 3 drivers in MultiBeast aren't mature enough for production use.

If USB3 and FW are important, either consider a different board, or plan to acquire and test PCI cards that are better supported.

To follow-up with my previously Networking issue, I've been using the RealTek drivers and haven't had any kernel panics I could pin on it. I had a problem with the switch I was connected to that was likely contributing.

I've read through every page on a lot of forums looking for a solution to the Firewire400 issue on the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 and this is the closest thing to an answer I've been able to find, but not exactly what I was hoping to hear (even though it isn't an expensive solution). Taking into account I'm a complete mackintosh noob and had a lot of help building mine, but other than the firewire400 port everything is up and 10.7.2 is running completely flawlessly, I just NEED this firewire port to work.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP,

IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE THE FIREWIRE400 PORT WORK WITHOUT BUYING AN ADDITIONAL PCI CARD!!??

my build is:
MB: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
HD: WD Caviar Green (getting this to work was WACK)
VIDEO CARD: EVGA 896-P3-1171-RX GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2405S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52405S
16GB Patriot Signature 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
OCZ 600watt PSU

Does your Firewire port appears in System Profiler? Perhaps it's disabled in BIOS?

No, it's enabled. Like I said it even shows up in System Profile and shows attached devices but doesn't present any block devices to the OS.

It's a known-issue with this board, but I don't know what the root cause is.

Gordo, thanks for the time to make this installation guide.

I was previously running Snow Leopard but wasn't 100% happy with it so I decided to do a clean install with Lion.

Using a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 I achieved a perfect working hack, first time try... front and rear audio, HD Audio, sleep, and ethernet.

Using Unibeast directions found here I then picked up with your directions at number 4 with a USB thumb drive.

I had previously downloaded 10.7.2 Combo Update, my DSDT, and Multibeast for Lion and placed them all on the thumbdrive as well.

Thanks again, worked like a charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back