Contribute
Register

Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean ML/Lion Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Guide: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with ATI 6870 - Clean Lion Install

Right after Lion install, I'm trying to plug USB stick to one of back panel USB ports[red] and immediately getting kernel panic. No matter what kind of USB device I put there[stick, hdd, etc] I get panic. I need to plug USB in order to install Multibeast. Configuration is same as in original guide.

turmoil09 said:
Right after Lion install, I'm trying to plug USB stick to one of back panel USB ports[red] and immediately getting kernel panic. No matter what kind of USB device I put there[stick, hdd, etc] I get panic. I need to plug USB in order to install Multibeast. Configuration is same as in original guide.

Plug it in before booting.

- For those who have audio working, is ANYONE actually getting audio over HDMI? I can get front panel audio to work fine, but can't for the life of me get HDMI. I've tried and returned the single fan XFX 6870 (NOISY fan, not recommended without mods), then dual fan XFX 6870, now tri-fan Gigabyte 6870. Nothing. If anyone has it working, did it happen automatically with install per guide, or did you have to mess around with it? Any links to guides you'd recommend?

Look up Toleda's guide to HDMI audio under the Audio subforum.

- Are people getting full video acceleration (QE/IC) with any of the aforementioned cards immediately with install? Or does it necessitate screwing around with Kexts, etc. as detailed in the video link in FAQs?

Nope :) Any of the 6870's, 6850's, Intel HD3000, as well as 5870's work fine without kexts. Any of the ones in the recommended builds should do as well.

- If I just plug in the Mac OSX SSD (all other SATA devices unplugged), it does the Gigabyte post, quickly loads Chimera and then boots fast right into Lion. HOWEVER, if I plug in the Win 7 OS drive to allow dual booting, Chimera takes a LOOOONG time to load after post, though then Win/Mac OSX boot very quickly once I finally get to Chimera. It feels like 5x to 10x as long from power on to using either Win or Mac with both drives plugged in and booting into Chimera vs. only having one drive plugged in. Any thoughts? Wife will want it to load quickly and auto-boot into Win, not Mac--so any help as to how to change default drive for auto-boot would also be much appreciated!!

Set the boot order in your BIOS to the OSX SSD first and tell it to have 0 delay for HDD.

- Any updates to this post that I should be aware of, given the new Chimera & MultiBeast updates since posting of this guide?

There have been updates, but all of the checkboxes remain the same!

hello gordo, thkx for this guide (always a lot of work i know that)

i'm very unhappy with this motherboard, a lot of issue ...

- USB issueS (rate too slow vs network and my os x server P35-DS3R in raid 0 --100Mo/s-- , sleep, wake issue need hardreboot ... pouahhhh)
- nic , sometimes renew dhcp gave me APIPA 169.154 etc ... need to reboot to solve it

my hardware :

icore 5 2500K (no overlocking)
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 F10 (DSDT download here for F10), Lion 10.7.2
MSI GTS 250 (no issue here, but i always knew that this card worked pefectly oob)
kingston 8Go DDR3 1600 9-9-9 24
M4 Crucial SSD 128 Go (for system) on 6gb sata port
Seagate 750 Go for Data on 6gb sata port
optiarc DVDRom sata and 320Gb sata for win7 64 bits on 3gb sata ports

I bought this motherboard but my GA-E58-UD5 is working much better ... very much (core i7 920) why so many USB issue with this main board ? (wake, rate) etc ...

And there is one thing i did not understand why using automatic tools ? why multibeast doesn't use /Extra and put a lot thing in /S/L/E ??? (oldschool way, but more clean for vanilla ...)

if you can help me it will be great...

note: wake only work at 90% with powerbuton ..can't sleep with Menu apple/suspend activity ....

now i'm trying to re apply the multibest 4;2. ....and at the end : failed ...

what happens with those tools ?

note : sleep/wake went and gone when it wants ... funny and very boring , never see a hack with this kind of stuff. I achieve windows install reboot with windows : ok , went back under Lion and oups ... no sleep , nor wake ... fan continue turning ...

I am soooo close. I have installed Lion onto my internal HD and I can boot up into it. When I get to the registration information screens I encounter a very strange problem. I see everything fine but when I try to interact with the screen (i.e. typing information into the registration boxes or selecting the keyboard layout) I get a beach ball. If I type it does accept it at the rate of about 1 letter every 2 minutes with a beach ball coming up between each keystroke.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

here is my smbios :

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>SMfamily</key>
        <string>iMac</string>
        <key>SMproductname</key>
        <string>iMac12,2</string>
        <key>SMboardproduct</key>
        <string>Mac-942B59F58194171B</string>
        <key>SMserial</key>
        <string>C02FT7U2DHJP</string>
        <key>SMbiosversion</key>
        <string>MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

org.chameleon :

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Kernel</key>
        <string>mach_kernel</string>
        <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
        <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <string>2</string>
        <key>Legacy Logo</key>
        <string>No</string>
        <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1080x32</string>
</dict>
</plist
>

with multibeast ... and this Guide ...

but no sleep or wake now

if someone have an idea ?

Gordo, thanks so much. I'm almost out of hot water...a few follow-ups--some questions, as well as some comments and info, just for info for both you and the forum:

1) Audio: I looked closely at Toledo's guide for HDMI audio and saw that it was likely that I would lose other audio outputs if I make the required changes to get HDMI audio to work. So I dropped trying to get HDMI to work and am just using the optical audio out through the motherboard, into a home audio setup I have (I'd really like both HDMI + optical to work, but battle for another day). Weird thing: when I connected the audio and switched the various OS audio setups to point to it, sound worked right away. But volume control was disabled, both in the upper right of the screen and when using a volume adjuster on my Logitech bluetooth keyboard. For the heck of it, I hit the mute button on the keyboard, which didn't actually make the sound go away, but did show a "no" (circle with diagonal cross) sign on the screen with a volume slider, all of which appeared for a few moments. I think I may have rebooted then. Somewhere in during all this, the ETHERNET dropped out...bizarre. I rebooted, re-ran Multi-beast (in the way I describe in 4(a) below), had an install failure but rebooted anyway, and now both ethernet and audio are working. But with the volume/audio stuff grayed out in the upper right and still no way to adjust volume or mute. Is this normal?? Any ideas, or is optical audio beyond the scope of your testing?

2) Video: turns out the video acceleration (QE/IC) may have been working fine all along. Despite searching extensively, I'm not sure there exists a definitive way to test whether QE/IC is fully working in Lion (know of anything better than what's below?). But some link that I had first looked at kept referring to the card or driver show up in the PCI Card in System Profiler, and it never did. This is what I've been trying to see for the last several weeks. But after some more searching today, I came across the following, which gives three "tests" that I passed: http://www.phacks.net/hackintoshosx86-h ... re-active/. Note that to get the "ripple" to show, you have to uncheck show dashboard as a space within mission control, as detailed here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=259457. So, does this mean QE/IC is "fully" working, or is there a better way to test that I just haven't found?

3) Chimera: thanks for the guidance. I had the boot order right in one place in BIOS (order of HDDs), but not in the other (HDDs before USB, CD-ROM, etc.). Boots very fast now after post! Any idea how to change which OS boots by default, how to not show certain drives, etc.? I can't seem to find much documentation on Chamelon...Tony links to the following, which is basically empty: http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/

4) Misc.

a) How exactly should I be using Multi-beast when re-running it its first use? Do you just check ALL options that you actually want--so the new checked options are installed when re-running and that the ones that were checked on previous install but unchecked when re-running? Or is it cumulative, so what was checked previously stays and new checks are added? (If this, then how do you remove things?) In any case, it typically tells me that install failed upon re-running Multi-beast, which, when I get paranoid makes me pull the hard drive, reinitialize in another mac, and start from scratch...which probably isn't the right thing?

b) I noticed that TRIM (SSD feature) was added to the latest Multi-beast and F10 mobo version added to the DSDT database--should we be upgrading/using these? Any idea what the new DSDT changes encompass?

c) FYI, I just tried building and installing the DIY airport extreme from http://x86wifi.blogspot.com/2010/04/how ... -card.html. Not working...it shows up in details about the system, but the AirPort utility doesn't find it. I suspect it's a HW issue, but really not sure. Will look into it more and report back if anything, just noting it now in case it has something to do with this build and others are experiencing it?

cdhollan said:
Gordo, thanks so much. I'm almost out of hot water...a few follow-ups--some questions, as well as some comments and info, just for info for both you and the forum:

1) That is normal. Once a digital output is activated, the sound levels are managed by the output such as a receiver.

2) If you have full resolution and have passed those tests, you have full acceleration

3) Chimera will show all drives unless you put some heavy coding in the plist for Chimera, but I wouldn't mess with it.

4a) Just check what you need as well as system utilities

4b) You can upgrade those if you wish, they wont harm the system

4c) Hardware issue. I have built about 5 myself. They work fantastic if you put it together right and get the right parts.

Maybe a silly question but in MB you never specify a system definition. I never did and mine seems to be set at MacPro3,1. I'm wondering why not 4,1 or 5,1?

*EDIT* i see that it defaults to this...still wondering what the difference is for 4,1 or 5,1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back