Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Lion on the 4530s Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been trying without any success to fix a boot0 error on a LJ518UT aba laptop (4530s i3 4gb ) for the past 2 days. I have followed these guides :

The one from the faqs : viewtopic.php?p=238187#p238187
and another i found Tutorial: Install Chameleon/Chimera on a 4K drivehttps://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=42881

but have had no success, is there anything else I can do. The drive I have is the hitachi 500gb. I am booting Lion 10.7.3 with no probs from the USBinstaller stick.

any ideas?

7Azimuth said:
Can I install a hackintosh on my HP Probook 4730s without having a flash drive?

You used to be able to install Lion from an installer partition on the hard drive when updating from Snow Leopard. I don't know any reason why that wouldn't still work. You'd have to use Unibeast just like you are creating a flash drive, but instead install it to the separate partition on the hard drive. You would then boot from that hard drive. You might need to use a boot disk, like iBoot, to boot to the installer partition.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes. It seems to me it would be so much easier just to use a flash drive. An 8GB drive costs about $8 these days.

anyone know please help........thank you for sharing in advance.

I followed blueking's guide successfully installed 4530s product # Xu015ut.

Now doing one 4530s with product # LJ518UT and got stuck at steps 7, I can't get to steps 8 due to the screen turned black before at the installer screen, I tried hit FN+F3 but it doesn't help. It doesn't look like a KP. Screen just turn black. USB drive light still flash few time after screen turn black.

please advice for any possible solution.

thank you all for the great efforts

gaxm said:
joyjelly said:
LJ518UT#ABA

Hello gaxm,
Can you please share your success on mode LJ518UT, I follow the same guide you did, however, the OS 10.7.2 lion installation load up to the point when next screen should be the picking language menu. the Screen just turn black and not response with hitting any key. Just the power button light up. Please share how you get through.... thank you very very much. !!!!

@joyjelly

I am responding to your PM with a message on the forum in case it helps anyone else. It appears that very few people are reporting anything on the LJ518UT#ABA model, so I will try to include all my progress so far on that model in this post:

1. In response to your PM, I think you may just be running into the brightness issue. Try to hit Fn-F2 when the screen goes blank. Try Fn-F2 and Fn-F3 to see if the screen comes back. I'm not sure I remember what happened at this point, but it sounds like the same issue. If this is it, note that unless you fix it in the BIOS later on, you will have to do it every time you boot up after installation as well. (I tried to fix the brightness issue in the BIOS but it never worked for me)

2. if you have the Hitachi 500GB drive or anything similar, you will also run into the 4k sectors issue. Search on the forum or for my posts specifically and you will see a solution for that also.

3. Another issue I faced is that this model does not have the standard supported wifi/bluetooth card. I am currently using a USB dongle to get by, which has OSX drivers and works great. I ordered a replacement card from Ebay (AR5B195 Atheros 9285) but it has not been working well yet. I will post if/when I resolve that issue. Specifically, I can connect to Wifi but my connection drops within a minute or two, and is REALLY FLAKY. (Looking for help here!!!!)

4. I followed the standard guide for the 10.7.3 upgrade, worked without any issues.

5. I upgraded to the 1080p screen. It took me some effort and two tries, but it works perfectly now. If you follow the HP manual, everything works. I can also display on a 1080p TV via HDMI with audio (watched a few episodes of Merlin today on Hulu!).

6. Another pending issue is that I cannot get the Soundflower driver to install using the software. It is nothing critical, but my son needed it for a school project and I could not get it to work!

Good luck, this model is a bit odd but works great for the most part. All this is thanks to all the support on the forums from blueking, bigdonkey, and everyone else.

Off topic - Merlin Rocks. Love that show.

SUCCESS - I installed 10.7.3 on my HP 4530s (i3-2330m) a few days ago and things went quite smoothly.

Note: I've build 5 entirely different hacktinosh systems in the past since 10.5 so my experience has lent me the necessary patience, wisdom, and precaution to get it done right. Thats not to say a newb cant do it, anyone can, but lets just say its not as easy as installing windows.

I was able to install a dual-boot of 10.7.3 and Windows7. Never had any booter issues or anything. Things are quite snappy.

I did run into a few small snags along the way but following post one of this guide and google searches resolved them. I was lucky to get a 4530s (model: LJ518UT#ABA) with only Intel 3000 graphics, and bios F0A built-in. Unlucky I got the Realtek wifi card, but I ordered the "Atheros AR5B195" (part: 593127-001) on ebay for $14 so no biggie I have a usb wifi until then.

Oh, and my favorite part: SLEEP WORKS!! Dude I have been trying to make sleep work on all my past hackintoshes with 100% failure rate until now. I can finally just close the lid, go, reopen, it comes up lightning fast and everything (except bluetooth) works perfectly. :D!

Tip: Once you get it to successfully boot to the desktop for the first time (not perfection, just to boot), download and use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to backup that sonna beech! Grab yourself an external HDD or 16gb+ USB stick and backup the entire OSX partition to it. This way, if OSX breaks, you can boot into this backup to fix things quickly. Voila, if anything ever goes horribly wrong from now on, you have a "base camp" to always return to. (this has saved my ass *countless* times in hackintoshing). Make incremental CCC updates every major landmark you successfully achieve (ie. making ethernet work, making graphics work, setting up your desktop, etc). ALSO ALWAYS REMEMBER to reinstall Chimera bootloader anytime you ever restore from CCC to any partition (CCC doesn't properly transfer Chimera booter.. MultiBeast or Chimera standalone do perfectly). And if you're installing a windows dualboot, you'll need to do this again afterwards because Windows likes to overwrite the boot sector if it can.

If you have any questions you can PM me. I'm not always around but if I get a chance I'll respond.

Thanks everyone for making this guide possible. Cheers!

PS- For anyone talking about having issues with the Atheros 9285 wifi card, I found another thread recommending the "Atheros AR5B195", or as I googled it, part #: 593127-001 . As far as I can tell, they are different cards. Can anyone verify if this is correct?

I'm still waiting for mine to come in from China (was only $14 there, vs $26 here in USA). Once it comes in, I will update this post to review its stability vs the "flakiness" of the other one being referenced.

geekrohit said:
Is it possible , to have support for Probook 4520s in this guide?

The laptop has the following specs:
Core i5 460m
ATI Mobility RadeonHD 530v
Atheros AR9285 wifi adaptor

A couple of other people have tried getting QE/CI to work on it, but no results.

I have installed Lion on it as of now, with 1 usb port working, no graphics/resolution, no sound and no wifi.

Is it possible to get everything working on this laptop? I will provide all the necessary stuff that might be required. Or if only you could give me directions, that would be really helpful.

Thanks

For QE/CI, try using OSX86 Tools. Google it and download that program. When you run it, one of the buttons you can click says "Install/Uninstall Quartz GL" or something like that. Click the button, and install Quartz GL. That did the trick for my DV7. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

For sound, you will have to go through all the Voodoo HDA kexts to see if one works. I don't know what audio card your system has, it might need some other kext.

For wifi, if you have AR9285, there is a kext for that. Search for it here, or try kexts.com. I think it is also included in Multibeast. If you can't get wifi to work, there are cheap usb adapters that work for about $15. I use this one: http://www.meritline.com/edimax-ew7811u ... 64568.aspx. Edimax has Mac software for it you can download from their site.

geekrohit said:
Thanks for this. :) . Btw, problem here is, my gfx card isn't being detected in the first place. I think an ATI RHD 530V is a 4350HD rebranded, or thats what i read somewhere.

With the Sandy Bridge Intel HD3000s, like the 4530s, the Mac can detect and use the built in graphics. With your graphics card, you will have to find out if you can make it work with Mac. If you cannot, then you may not be able to get QE/CI. That card is not part of the discussion of this thread, so my suggestion is to search around for a thread involving that specific card and try to find a solution for it.

geekrohit said:
So, shall I create another thread for instructions/discussion regarding 4520s ? :beachball:

I don't know, that's up to you, but your laptop is completely different than the one that is the subject of the 4530s forum. Although it is a probook, and has a number that is close, it has different graphics, CPU, motherboard, chipsets, etc. The guide that is made for the 4530s will not work for completely different laptops. So, while some of the information may be applicable to your machine, much will not. The graphics card you have is not in the laptops discussed in this thread. It may be discussed in other threads. I could check to see if there is a way to use your graphics card, but then, so could you. So your question should be, who should research how to make your graphics card work, you or people who don't have your graphics card?

got one of my two new 4530s that I bought through the tigerdirect/ebay deal. I had the

4k disk problem and still waiting for the atheros card to show up from china.

but it's working with ethernet and knock on wood, it's stable.

Thanks to blueking formerly known as blueking and everyone else that contributed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back