Contribute
Register

Guide for Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI Using HD4600 - Chimera/MultiBeast Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Successfully setup the following system using this guide

...But the network will freeze when transfering large files

So I reloaded MultiBeast with the AppleIntelE1000e V3.04.1a driver, tried transferring the same files and no freeze

Anyone else had similar issues?

Yes, same problems here. With 3.04.1a much more stable but happens also from time to time. Should I/we use the Atheros Lan2 port instead?

There are two very small screws that hold the WiFi/BT card in place. Remove the antenna leads first and then the screws, being careful to not lose the screws in the case if you don't take the motherboard out of the case.

For the following steps, you'll need a USB mouse. Once the card is out of it's motherboard socket, turn off all your BT peripherals, and boot into the Yosemite Desktop

Next, remove the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, and, with your BT USB dongle inserted into a Back Panel USB 2 plug, reboot into the Yosemite Desktop with UseKernelCache=No.

Finally, run /System/Library/CoreServices/Bluetooth Setup Assistant. Turn on BT item on at a time and connect each peripheral with the Setup Assistant.

Hopefully, this will work for you. Good luck! :thumbup:

Stork,

Thanks as always for your help. I successfully removed the bluetooth/wifi card and made the changes. Working like a champ! Thanks again for all your assistance.

My prototype build of this unit is now running since two weeks without a single crash, boot refusal or other oddities. Several Cinema4D TeamRender sessions also proceeded stable, smoothly and in pleasing accordance with the first measured benchmarks.

Gigabyte Z97N WIFI
Intel i7-4790K (not yet overclocked)
Corsair DDR3 1600 16GB
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 128GB
Coolermaster B500

geekbench.jpg
cinebench.jpg

The prototype in a 'Helmer' drawer.

principal_layout-2_sm.jpg

The project. Six of this units in a 'Helmer' drawer case (rendering).
A super cruiser with approx. 106'000 Geekbench3, 5'200 CineBenchR15.

toms_farm_b1_sm.jpg

I'll make a proper post in User Builds as soon the farm is ready, approx. end of January.

Once again a very big thanks for making this project possible :thumbup:
I can only encourage everyone again to follow the path described here and in the Buyer's Guide.
It leads to a guaranteed and obviously sustained success.

@Stork, first of all thank you for putting together such a clear guide.

I've managed to install Yosemite on my new system which is composed of:

Gigabyte Z97N WIFI (F5 BIOS)
Intel i7-4790K
Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 16GB
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
Corsair CS 550 Watt

I have two main problems:
1. Sometimes the system just freezes (screen shows desktop but without a possibility to move the cursor) (CPU fan speed increases)
2. I don't have audio although I selected the same multibeast option.

I tried to do some troubleshooting myself but haven't figured it out. Is there a way to read the log for some errors?
I just switched my BIOS memory setting to "Profile 1" but it didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated

I have two main problems:
1. Sometimes the system just freezes (screen shows desktop but without a possibility to move the cursor) (CPU fan speed increases)
2. I don't have audio although I selected the same multibeast option.
For the freezing, make sure of the following:
- Memory (make/model #) is on the Z87N Memory Support List and
- PSU is Haswell "ready" or "compatible."​

Yosemite has a new "twist" to defining audio. See my post here.

Update: Just thought of another trick for the freezing...either use MultiBeast to just turn off GenerateP/Cstates (set to no) or change the GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates flags to No in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. But, only do this if the freezes still continue. To get power management back, check out PikeRAlpha's ssdt generator in the SSDT forum section: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/.

For the freezing, make sure of the following:
- Memory (make/model #) is on the Z87N Memory Support List and
- PSU is Haswell "ready" or "compatible."​

Yosemite has a new "twist" to defining audio. See my post here.

Update: Just thought of another trick for the freezing...either use MultiBeast to just turn off GenerateP/Cstates (set to no) or change the GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates flags to No in the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. But, only do this if the freezes still continue. To get power management back, check out PikeRAlpha's ssdt generator in the SSDT forum section: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/.

Thanks for your prompt reply. In the mean time I reinstalled the system from scratch and audio and freeze problems are a thing of the past.

One thing popped up: if I stress my CPU (for instance with geek bench) I get a static noise on my HDMI output. After the stressing is done I can see the desktop normal again.
What could this be? I set the virtual memory for the IGFX to the max in the BIOS.

Thanks for your prompt reply. In the mean time I reinstalled the system from scratch and audio and freeze problems are a thing of the past.

One thing popped up: if I stress my CPU (for instance with geek bench) I get a static noise on my HDMI output. After the stressing is done I can see the desktop normal again.
What could this be? I set the virtual memory for the IGFX to the max in the BIOS.
Don't what could have caused the static noise. This is good question to pose in the Audio > HDMI Audio forum section.

You don't need to set the IGFX memory as OS X uses it's own memory allocation scheme for on-board graphics. So, you can leave it at the 64MB min.

Hello.

Thanks for this great guide again.

I've just tried with success the Osmosis Method:
Updating the Bios with a modified one from this german Forum: http://hackintosh-forum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=17275

All I had to do next was to install Yosemite (after changing some minor stuff in bios settings...) and installing kexts for audio and ethernet.

It behaves just like a real Mac...
Everything is working great except iMessage and FaceTime, which I don't use anyway.

I also used a second SSD with Windows 8.1 on it, and change boot disc with F12 on start up.

Something great is also the ability to boot on any OS X disk.
I was able to boot on my Mavericks drive extracted from my iMac without doing anything.

Well, have a look.
It's great! :D

Off Topic! This has nothing to do with using the tonymacx86 installation methods. Start a new thread if you want to build/patch your own bios. Your post also smacks of trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back