Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan onto Skylake mini-ITX ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming w i7-6700T (35w) GTX 760 SM951 AHCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope Time Machine works as well as a backup. If you have TM on the network (i.e. Time Capsule) it can be slower than doing a full restore using a USB3.0 connected drive. Also you can boot from USB 3.0 drive.

Another thing you can do with SuperDuper is mirror the drive to another internal drive and then update. If it fails you you boot from the other drive and you are back up and running almost instantly.

In your case you can boot from the Recovery Drive and then restore from TM.

Nope Time Machine works as well as a backup. If you have TM on the network (i.e. Time Capsule) it can be slower than doing a full restore using a USB3.0 connected drive. Also you can boot from USB 3.0 drive.

Another thing you can do with SuperDuper is mirror the drive to another internal drive and then update. If it fails you you boot from the other drive and you are back up and running almost instantly.

In your case you can boot from the Recovery Drive and then restore from TM.

I am running TM on my NAS but would make a separate USB backup before updating OSX.

But if things fail, it takes quite some time to get everything running again.
1. Reinstall OSX
2. Copy files / programs with TM
3. Apply all passwords, connect email accounts etc.

How would it work with superDuper from a USB drive if OSX isn't booting? I do not have a spare internal drive.

For SuperDuper you boot the OS from the USB drive, and then use SuperDuper to mirror the drive to the internal one. Then Reboot to the internal drive.

For TimeMachine you just need to boot from your bootable USB stick and you should be able to discover and restore the image at that point, you shouldn't need to do a full install first.

This is a bit OT, so should really be in another thread

For SuperDuper you boot the OS from the USB drive, and then use SuperDuper to mirror the drive to the internal one. Then Reboot to the internal drive.

For TimeMachine you just need to boot from your bootable USB stick and you should be able to discover and restore the image at that point, you shouldn't need to do a full install first.

This is a bit OT, so should really be in another thread
Thanks! Will try it.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comprehensive guide, thanks to it I managed to install El Capitan on my system with most of the hardwares detected and working properly except for the on board wifi.

Can I clarify if the on board wifi is supported on El Capitan 10.11?

I've also tried installing rehabman's Fakepciid broadwell wifi kext with no luck.

@Siao the Qualcomm Atheros onboard wifi does not work in OS X. You'll need a Broadcomm Chip or if you are lazy like me just go with an usb wifi dongle, there are plenty out there that work if OS X.

@Siao the Qualcomm Atheros onboard wifi does not work in OS X. You'll need a Broadcomm Chip or if you are lazy like me just go with an usb wifi dongle, there are plenty out there that work if OS X.
Thanks for the info mate. I did remember reading somewhere that the onboard wifi is a Broadcomm one. Thanks for clarifying it.Looks like I'll go with a USB dongle solution as well.

I am having some issues with the audio. It works to start off with but after 2-3 minutes I have a lot of static noise and the sound becomes unbearable. Unplugging the 3.5mm audio cable and plugging it back in solves this issue for another 2-3 minutes.

Running under Windows I have no issues. Any idea what is happening here?

I would like to report my last experience. I finally was able to install el capitan 10.11.5 on my z170i and can confirm that wifi doesn't work. There is no support to it at the moment. I have working integrated graphics HD530 and audio. I have a problem with bluetooth in the sense that at the end of installation it was working. After reboot with multibeast it doesn't work anymore. Any help?

I would like to report my last experience. I finally was able to install el capitan 10.11.5 on my z170i and can confirm that wifi doesn't work. There is no support to it at the moment. I have working integrated graphics HD530 and audio. I have a problem with bluetooth in the sense that at the end of installation it was working. After reboot with multibeast it doesn't work anymore. Any help?

How did you get your audio to work correctly? I had to modify the config.plist / run the "audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0r10.command" and it only works for 2-3 minutes before a lot of distortion starts appearing.

I described in detail what I did here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...170-gaming-itx-ac.180383/page-11#post-1250202

Can you tell me how you did it / which config.plist you used? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back