Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone got 32Gb working on this configuration?

I'm a noob but I'm pretty sure it's working on mine. I gave my Windows VM 16gb of ram and can run Xcode and Visual Studio fine at the same time.

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 9.18.41 AM.png

I manually updated config.plist with a text editor and changed the string for key "Size"

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 9.29.04 AM.png

Last edited:
Just tried that katefox but still says 16Gb :(

I have attached my config. Does the config file sit in the same folder as Clover?

I looked at you config.plist file and you have your memory setup incorrectly.

Make sure you use Slot 0 and slot 2 (You had Slot 0 and 1. 1 is never seen). Set the Slot count to 4. Sounds strange because there are only 2 slots on the MB but because of the dual-channel memory it has to be done in pairs. See attached.

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 9.37.14 AM.png

Last edited:
The integrated graphics can drive my Dell P2415Q 3840 x 2160 30Hz. Everything is sharp but tiny so I have to lower it to 3200 x 1800 (low resolution) to make graphics bigger. Low resolution means blurry graphics but at this lower resolution using 24" monitor the blur is still sharp to me.
Tried to turn on the retina HIDPI mode using unix command but it doesn't give me high resolution options I don't know why.
Thanks for your reply. When you lower the resolution to 3200 x 1800, does the refresh rate jump at all? 60hz?

Question - are you attaching your Dell monitor via HDMI? I can't get mine to run a higher resolution. I did notice in the display settings I only have 60Hz listed? On a prior mackintosh build using a Nvidia card I have lower Hz options to select & greater resolution. Is that configurable with the integrated 530? Did you have to tweak the 530 to get the lower Hz settings?

thx
I'm using one HDMI cable one monitor. Holding the option key while you hit the Scaled button in the display preference will give you more resolution options.

Thanks for your reply. When you lower the resolution to 3200 x 1800, does the refresh rate jump at all? 60hz?
At 3200 x 1800, it shows 30Hz and has been grey out, which means you cannot change it. With lower resolution I can choose 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz & 30Hz. The lower two frequency give me more flashing & noise, and I don't know why there is two duplicated 30Hz.

Thanks Kevkranker. Did you have 16Gb on the drop down or did you edit the file? Where is your plist file stored?

Thanks Kev, I have 32Gb now but I think I overwrote my config file with an empty one with only the memory settings. I have no nvidia drivers now or anything :( no backup.

Do I have to go through the post install process again?

Greetings!
After having doubts, i finally decided to go with this build. Up to now everything has been fine and I am just about to do the post installation guide. Since the wifi bluetooth card still hasn't arrived, my question is if i could just skip that part of the tutorial, set up everything else and go back to that point when my wifi card arrives. If you consider it would be better to do everything when the wifi arrived then I will be patient.

My second question has to do with graphics cards. I am currently using Intel HD 530 and I would to use Final Cut Pro X (nothing really important or job related). Since my case is a Cooler rc 110, would you recommend any small graphics card? Should i go for an AMD/ Nvidia or would the 530 HD be enough for my needs?

Thanks a mint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back