Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone been able to get dual monitors to work?
I am using the internal Intel graphics, right now only one (either HDMI or DVI) works.. if i connect another monitor and reboot i get graphical errors at logon.

I've built my machine per this guide and it's going pretty well. The only substantial issue I've had is when audio to my bluetooth speaker starts stuttering, at which I tried to remove and re-pair the device. Several times this has led to an instant reboot.

I'm using Apple bluetooth keyboard and trackpad without an issue. I've turned on Wifi out of curiosity and it's working fine, but it's usually turned off as I use a wired connection.

Any suggestions to investigate and fix the issue would be greatly appreciated - thanks !

EDIT: Card is a BCM94352Z NGFF

How is everyone's experience with this build in Final Cut Pro? I'm using a gtx 970 and i5 6500, but looking at benchmarks of official macs, it looks like I'm getting less than ideal render times. I've heard from some that if you disable the discrete nvidia graphics card and, instead, use the integrated graphics in the Intel CPU, you can get much faster render times. Any thoughts?

I've built my machine per this guide and it's going pretty well. The only substantial issue I've had is when audio to my bluetooth speaker starts stuttering, at which I tried to remove and re-pair the device. Several times this has led to an instant reboot.

I'm using Apple bluetooth keyboard and trackpad without an issue. I've turned on Wifi out of curiosity and it's working fine, but it's usually turned off as I use a wired connection.

Any suggestions to investigate and fix the issue would be greatly appreciated - thanks !

EDIT: Card is a BCM94352Z NGFF

Did you try the same setup (two bluetooth input devices plus bluetooth audio) on a regular Mac or, say, with the same device but using "proper" drivers under windows? It should not cause any trouble, but I once also hat similar problems using three bluetooth devices (one of them bluetooth speakers) on a regular iMac. Although it did not result in instant reboot, but the stuttering was there, too.

How is everyone's experience with this build in Final Cut Pro? I'm using a gtx 970 and i5 6500, but looking at benchmarks of official macs, it looks like I'm getting less than ideal render times. I've heard from some that if you disable the discrete nvidia graphics card and, instead, use the integrated graphics in the Intel CPU, you can get much faster render times. Any thoughts?

There are some posts that if you use the Mac Pro profile (which I assume you do if you have an Nvidia card) the performance suffers compared to using an iMac profile. This would explain your experience with the benchmarks.

I have no idea if FCP uses the GPU for rendering? So there might be a trade-off. Maybe you could investigate if it is possible to use the iMac profile together with the Nvidia card when you use the Nvidia web drivers or something like that.

Did you try the same setup (two bluetooth input devices plus bluetooth audio) on a regular Mac or, say, with the same device but using "proper" drivers under windows? It should not cause any trouble, but I once also hat similar problems using three bluetooth devices (one of them bluetooth speakers) on a regular iMac. Although it did not result in instant reboot, but the stuttering was there, too.

Yup, it's the same setup i had on my "getting long in the tooth" mid-2011 MacMini that i migrated over to this build. I didn't have an issue in that setup...

I have been having random boot issues: Power on and then couple of seconds it reboots before the bios screen. IF I unplug the power and power on it works. This is random meaning at times it boots without issue. Anyone else having similar issues.

test

Last edited:

There are some posts that if you use the Mac Pro profile (which I assume you do if you have an Nvidia card) the performance suffers compared to using an iMac profile. This would explain your experience with the benchmarks.

I have no idea if FCP uses the GPU for rendering? So there might be a trade-off. Maybe you could investigate if it is possible to use the iMac profile together with the Nvidia card when you use the Nvidia web drivers or something like that.
Hm, that's surprising since I am in fact using the Mac Pro 3,1 profile. I believe that I used an iMac 17,1 profile in the past, but did not notice any huge differences. I will try again.

DUAL MONITOR SUPPORT for Intel HD Graphics 530! Working!
(Dual HDMI or HDMI + DVI)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be careful, always have a backup before messing around with Kext files if you are new at this...

I used this fix:
FIX:
  1. Open Terminal
  2. Enter this command (it is one line)

Code:
    sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
  3. Arrow down to where you see <key>ConfigMap</key>
  4. For the iMac15,1 locate the board-id "Mac-42FD25EABCABB274" and change string below it from "Config2" to "none".
  • For theMacPro6,1 you will do the same thing but for the board-id "Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6".
  • For the iMac17,1 you'll have to see which board-id is declared in your config.plist SMBIOS: "Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D" or "Mac-65CE76090165799A" or "Mac-DB15BD556843C820" and change the appropriate entry to "none".
  1. Save the file by pressing Ctrl+O, then enter.
  2. Exit by pressing Ctrl+X
  3. Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
    sudo kextcache -system-caches
  4. Reboot
If nano isnt your thing, you can use text wrangler to edit this file.

NOTE:
you may need to use kext-dev-mode=1 in clover configurator (under BOOT > Arguments) if not already using it to allow the modified kext.

I hope this helps someone looking for dual monitor support using integrated Intel HD 530 graphics

Thanks to slim.jim for the original method used on nvidia graphics...
see original thread here http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

I've installed according to the guide. As far as I can tell the only issue I'm having is it will not wake the monitor from sleep. I've tried both HDMI ports to no avail. I am going from HDMI to a DVI monitor if that might be an issue. I even tried the terminal command to stop standby but it hasn't worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back