Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came on here earlier to get advice on upgrading from my Sandybuild and was considering going Haswell. However, this looks REALLY promising and price wise the Skylakes are almost the same. From the sounds of it everything seems to be working besides integrated graphics and iTunes.

Did you have any luck with the ethernet? I prefer a wired connection

EDIT: Just checked the mobo and it turned out to be a Mini ITX. Prefer something bigger so I'll have a look at other options for now

Just for the record, Ethernet works fine these days, and the only part of iTunes that isn't work is video DRM, which doesn't work on any of my hacks. So it's mainly just integrated graphics that doesn't work.

Still, I can't make the board any bigger for you. :)

Just for the record, Ethernet works fine these days, and the only part of iTunes that isn't work is video DRM, which doesn't work on any of my hacks. So it's mainly just integrated graphics that doesn't work.

Still, I can't make the board any bigger for you. :)

Haha, I wasn't expecting you to - was looking at ATX alternatives and noticed your thread on the fatality rig, and couple of others in your Skylake guide, plus an asus z170-a guide mentioned on here so I guess there's a few options. My only reservation is that my current board is Asus and I don't want to be in the same situation again where I think I should have gone Gigabyte.

Priced everything up and it comes to about £500 for Mobo, RAM and CPU.
Trying to decide on a video card - any recommendations? I don't need particularly good graphics, I'm pretty happy with my GTX 460 so if you tell me that'll be compatible I'd stick with that but otherwise looking for a reasonable card that'll work without issue.

Thanks so much for the guide. I not have my hackintosh running.
I had two questions:

1)For configuring the ram in clover configurator for config.plist, you said to keep the # of slots to be 4 and the number of modules to be 2. What should I do if I only have one stick of 8gb ram?

2) Have you found a way to chnage the gpu fan speed?
I actually tried the following:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...emperature-fan-control-sensors-hwsensors.html
and I actually could not get my system to boot into osx, since it would hang on ACPI. I tried removing all the kexts that I installed to get HWMonitor to work, but nothing worked and I was forced to reinstall everything.

1)For configuring the ram in clover configurator for config.plist, you said to keep the # of slots to be 4 and the number of modules to be 2. What should I do if I only have one stick of 8gb ram?

I would set the number of slots to be however many your motherboard has (which is 2 on the ITX boards such as the H170N-WIFI, but 4 on most larger boards). Then I would create a single memory entry for slot 0, if you have your memory installed on the first slot on the board.

2) Have you found a way to chnage the gpu fan speed?
I actually tried the following:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...emperature-fan-control-sensors-hwsensors.html
and I actually could not get my system to boot into osx, since it would hang on ACPI. I tried removing all the kexts that I installed to get HWMonitor to work, but nothing worked and I was forced to reinstall everything.

I have not tried to change my fan speed. I believe RehabMan has a working version of FakeSMC/HWSensors here, though again, I haven't tried it myself. There should also be a working version in the next release of MultiBeast, which I hope to see fairly soon.

I can confirm that this does indeed work with the Z170XP-SLI. Only thing I can't get to work is some of the USB ports. Otherwise most things works fine. Internal graphics work with artifacting.

My specs:
-Core i7 6700k
-GeForce GTX 650
-Corsair Vengeance LPX (DDR4, 2x8GB, 2666mhz)
-256gb M.2 SSD (Windows)
-1TB WD Blue (Mac)
-2TB WD Black (Windows/Mac Storage Drive)

Proof:
Screenshot 2016-01-30 09.54.03.png

Notes:
Install the same Realtek driver mentioned in the guide.
If using a GTX 650, DO NOT INSTALL WEB DRIVERS!
Otherwise, follow OP's instructions exactly.
Use the default SMBIOS (iMac 17,1)

Good luck!

I would set the number of slots to be however many your motherboard has (which is 2 on the ITX boards such as the H170N-WIFI, but 4 on most larger boards). Then I would create a single memory entry for slot 0, if you have your memory installed on the first slot on the board.

I have not tried to change my fan speed. I believe RehabMan has a working version of FakeSMC/HWSensors here, though again, I haven't tried it myself. There should also be a working version in the next release of MultiBeast, which I hope to see fairly soon.
Should I set channels to single-channel or dual-channel as you said in the OP if I have only one module of ram?

Hello,

Is there any solution to fix the graphical bugs with the iGPU on Skylake?

My system:
Board: GA-H170N-WIFI
CPU: I3-6300
RAM: Crucial DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2133

Thanks.

Is there any solution to fix the graphical bugs with the iGPU on Skylake?

No. Apple has not yet released a machine that uses Skylake integrated graphics, so they haven't gotten the drivers working properly yet. Best case is probably the rumored event mid-March, if not then hopefully WWDC in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back