Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do this right after running MultiBeast, it leaves the other one mounted. If it's not already mounted for you, you need to do it by hand. Normally you can do something like this in Terminal:

Code:
mkdir /Volumes/EFI2 && sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI2

If you have more than one drive in the system, you can double-check the EFI partition ID to use in that command with "diskutil list".

If you do this right after running MultiBeast, it leaves the other one mounted. If it's not already mounted for you, you need to do it by hand. Normally you can do something like this in Terminal:

Code:
mkdir /Volumes/EFI2 && sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI2

If you have more than one drive in the system, you can double-check the EFI partition ID to use in that command with "diskutil list".

Sadly my problems are beyond that now, as I can't even boot back into the OS X install. Not gonna lie, sooooooo glad you're online now LOL

**UPDATE** Attempting a new clean install, at which point I will attempt that you suggested above.

Thanks for the great guide, I got everything working on my machine, including audio, and Bluetooth/WiFi with the M.2 chip you mentioned (took some effort to get that imported to the EU from the USA, but eventually managed to find it).

One weird quirk is that the display turns off right after the startup sequence, when the OS/X login screen is show. If I turn my display off, and then turn it on again, the login screen shows and I can use my Hackintosh normally. This problem doesn't seem to occur after sleep, only after a (re)boot. Problem #4 in this thread seems to be exactly my problem, but editing AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext is part of your guide and that obviously doesn't fix it for me. Any idea what that could be?

I'm running on:
- Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI
- Intel Core i5-6600K
- MSI GeForce GTX970

Hi Ammulder,
some news about audio?. Did you check rear audio outputs on GB h170n wifi?It seems they don't work. Maybe a specific kext file or another solution is needed to solve it ...but I have not the experience to do that.
I will wait for...thank you.

I did get audio to work from the front and rear panels. I think I just followed step 4 in the Post-Installation Guide: "Select Drivers and then Audio and then Realtek ALCxxx and then ALC1150" (in Multibeast)

That doesn't work for you?

One weird quirk is that the display turns off right after the startup sequence, when the OS/X login screen is show. If I turn my display off, and then turn it on again, the login screen shows and I can use my Hackintosh normally.

If you're using a non-4K monitor via DisplayPort (particularly a Dell), you can try setting the monitor to DisplayPort 1.1 (instead of 1.2) and see if that helps.

Also make sure in trying the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy fix that you run the kextcache commands afterward. I also had to repeat that fix procedure after installing 10.11.3.

So the only remaining issue is that I cannot shut down my Hackintosh from OSX. That is: if I do, the machine powers down but then automatically starts up again after 3-5 seconds.

This seems to happen often with Gigabyte motherboards, particularly with "Wake on LAN" enabled. But: I've triple-checked and "Wake on LAN" is disabled for me. I can properly shut down from Windows (on a separate SSD), so it's specific to the OSX-part of the machine.

@ammulder: do you (or did you) have this issue too, with this motherboard? Any idea how to fix it?

I may have the shutdown problem -- I know one of my machines does but I forget which -- it's just one of the things that doesn't bother me that much.

As far as options go: There's a FixShutdown option you could try in Clover, there exists something called Halt Enabler but I'm not sure what it is, you can have your BIOS ignore Wake on USB in S4 or something like that if you have the option, and there are some DSDT edits that might work (RehabMan has one in his big laptop patch set, and PJALM has one in one of his his patch repositories). I have no idea what does or doesn't work, though.

@ammulder

Thanks for making this guide. I have a similar set-up to thyraon, using GA-Z170N-WIFI mobo. I installed El Capitan 10.11.2 on a spare HDD using the official installation guide but I've been having some problems and now stumbled upon your guide. Two problems I currently have:
  1. If I try to boot from the HDD instead of the USB stick, the Apple logo with the loading bar will appear but after a while there will just be this 'not allowed' type logo (circle with a diagonal line through it) and nothing happens after that
  2. When I boot from the USB stick, it will only work with boot argument nv_disable=1. I have installed the nvidia web drivers and tried to use just nvda_drv=1 but when I do so, the output to the screen will simply stop after a little while, so my display will show the 'No Signal' message.

I carried out steps 1 to 5 in the official guide. I've now also carried out these extra steps I saw in your guide:
  • Copy the three SSDTs (plus the one for Core i3-6100) to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ (on my HDD, not the USB stick)
  • Edited the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist (changing Config2 to none after Mac-65CE76090165799A) and rebuilt kernel cache

Unfortunately these didn't fix either of my issues. Any ideas?

I'll tell you the same thing I told him:

If you're using a non-4K monitor via DisplayPort (particularly a Dell), you can try setting the monitor to DisplayPort 1.1 (instead of 1.2) and see if that helps.

Also make sure in trying the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy fix that you run the kextcache commands afterward. I also had to repeat that fix procedure after installing 10.11.3.

Also you can try different ports on your video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back