Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ammulder! I wanted to say thank you so much for this guide/thread. I finally got El Capitan 10.11.2 running on my Asus Maximus VIII Impact thanks to the lessons learned in this thread!

Hey guys,

I built this same hackintosh using your guide (thank you very much btw), but using only intel HD530.

I have just one issue. The mouse is very laggy. It doesn't jump around, but trails a half second behind my hand movements. I've noticed, however, that this only happens when the cpu is idle. Whenever the cpu speeds up, lets say while loading a webpage or opening an application, the mouse stops lagging. Does anyone know why this is happening or know a fix for it?

-Thank you all in advance!

(Please no not quote the entire guide in your response! -ed)

Hi Amulder, Tomorrow I will get a GTX 750 and I do install El Capitan on the h170n wifi. This is my first time I try to do that.
A question, when I'll download El Capitan install on a mac book, have I to move this file or not from /Applications/?

How the install file go into the external usb hd, during the "
Prepare Bootable USB Drive Installer" step?
Can I install El Capitan now and Tomorrow put the nvidia card on the motherboard? El Capitan will install drivers for the videocard automatically, or I find problems?

Thank You!

Hi Amulder, Tomorrow I will get a GTX 750 and I do install El Capitan on the h170n wifi. This is my first time I try to do that.
A question, when I'll download El Capitan install on a mac book, have I to move this file or not from /Applications/?

How the install file go into the external usb hd, during the "
Prepare Bootable USB Drive Installer" step?
Can I install El Capitan now and Tomorrow put the nvidia card on the motherboard? El Capitan will install drivers for the videocard automatically, or I find problems?

Thank You!

Hi Amulder, I start to install El Capitan, using you guide. But I fall in a problem. I'm using my friend's mac notebook with os x 10.7.5 LION. I did the download of clover configurator (your link), but when I open the program it says that the application requires Mac OS X 10.8 or later. My friend don't want to upgrade, so how can set the config.plist?. where I can find a version of Clover Config compatible with os x 10.7.5 LION?

No need to move it.

How the install file go into the external usb hd, during the "Prepare Bootable USB Drive Installer" step?

UniBeast puts it there.

You can install without the Nvidia card, but you should then install the Nvidia Web drivers before you put the card in. If you're using the iMac17,1 system definition like in the first post, you should also do the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy fix described there. So basically, do everything it says for Nvidia cards and then it will be ready when you put yours in.

Hi Amulder, I start to install El Capitan, using you guide. But I fall in a problem. I'm using my friend's mac notebook with os x 10.7.5 LION. I did the download of clover configurator (your link), but when I open the program it says that the application requires Mac OS X 10.8 or later. My friend don't want to upgrade, so how can set the config.plist?. where I can find a version of Clover Config compatible with os x 10.7.5 LION?

I'm not sure whether there is such a version available. But you can make all the changes with a text editor like TextWrangler if you can't run Clover Configurator -- you just need to be more careful about getting the syntax correct. You can refer to the Clover Wiki for more guidance.

Hi Ammulder,

I built this same hackintosh using your guide (thank you very much btw), but using only intel HD530.

I have just one issue. The mouse is very laggy. It doesn't jump around, but trails a half second behind my hand movements. I've noticed, however, that this only happens when the cpu is idle. Whenever the cpu speeds up, lets say while loading a webpage or opening an application, the mouse stops lagging. Does anyone know why this is happening or know a fix for it?

-Thank you in advance!

1. If using an Nvidia card:
    • Edit the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist and search it for Mac-65CE76090165799A. On the line after that, change Config2 to noneand save the file.
    • Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands in terminal:Code:
      sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
      sudo kextcache -system-caches
    • If using an Nvidia card that's not supported out of the box, install the Nvidia Web drivers
    • Edit the file EFI/CLOVER/config.plist on the system drive EFI partition. Find the text nv_disable=1 and replace it with nvda_drv=1 . If you don't want to edit this file by hand, you can use Clover Configurator to open the file and uncheck the box for nv_disable=1 on the Boot screen and then check the box for nvda_drv=1 and then save it.

Amulder, where I can find this file (
System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist and search it for Mac-65CE76090165799A) and how? Have I to open an utility in OsX?? Can you explain better this part? I'm a novice. Just like "Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands in terminal"....say what???

I jumped these parts and now OS X don't want to start more. Have I to reinstal? Ora I can use the usb drive to resolve? How?
thank you

Boot with nv_disable=1 (you should replace nvda_drv=1 if you have that set already).

Apply the fix like this:
  1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
  2. type
    Code:
    emacs /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
    (all on one line) and hit Enter
  3. Hit Ctrl-S
  4. Type "65CE"
  5. Hit the down arrow key. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor to just after the word "Config2" on the line after the 65CE... bit.
  6. Use back space to remove "Config2" and type "none" instead
  7. Hit Ctrl-X then Ctrl-C
  8. When prompted whether to save, hit "y"
  9. You should be back at the Terminal prompt
  10. Type sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel and hit Enter
  11. Type sudo kextcache -system-caches and hit Enter
  12. Make sure you're set to boot with nvda_drv=1 and reboot.

I've sort of given up on the HD 530 for now. You can call it usable if you're a die-hard, but the reality is you're way better off with a cheap Nvidia card.

I'm not positive that would cause mouse lag though. You can make sure you have the SSDT for the CPU in your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ directory, to make sure the CPU speeds are configured correctly. You can try different USB ports or connecting through a USB hub in case it's a USB problem. You can check the refresh rate on your monitor to make sure it's set to something reasonable. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

I've sort of given up on the HD 530 for now. You can call it usable if you're a die-hard, but the reality is you're way better off with a cheap Nvidia card.

I'm not positive that would cause mouse lag though. You can make sure you have the SSDT for the CPU in your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ directory, to make sure the CPU speeds are configured correctly. You can try different USB ports or connecting through a USB hub in case it's a USB problem. You can check the refresh rate on your monitor to make sure it's set to something reasonable. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

I tried all of that, but it didn't help. However, the lag is something I am willing to deal with. Thank you for the tips though.

I do have another problem, would you be able to help. My motherboard was running the F1 bios when I installed OSX. I just flashed the bios to F3, since your guide says you had the F3 bios. But now I cannot get OSX to boot up. It won't even boot from the USB installer drive that I made. I tried fixing the bios settings, but it didn't help. I ran clover with "-v" and posted the results. It seems t be stuck at AppleUSBLegacyroot. I posted an image below. Do you know what is wrong?

IMG_3454.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back