Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
951 might be one of the models that you can get as both NVMe and AHCI. If I recall correctly, there is NVMe support in OS X for Apple devices only. Somebody on the forums was looking into trying to fake the ID of their drive or something, but I haven't heard of any progress. So it's possible in theory, probably with a Clover patch to just disable whatever is-it-Apple check that's going on, but I can't say that there's really a time frame.

could you please tell us the model of that little white cube??? :D :headbang:

[/LIST]

SO awesome to find this…! I have been putting together a list of parts on Newegg for a Hackintosh and a lot of the core parts are the same, so that means I can actually work on GETTING the parts now to do a build…!!!

A few questions, if you wouldn't mind…?

1 - I plan to use the Asus GTX 970 mini ITX video card, I would assume I need to do the Nvidia Web Drivers thing; will the GTX 970 be alright/work for/with OS X/Skylake…?

2 - I see the issues with the Intel Ethernet right now, if I am going to replace the WiFi card with the suggested Dell OEM/Broadcom model, I should NOT do the outlined steps to get Ethernet working…?

3 - M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSDs… Can I assume the Samsung 950 Pro would work as well…?

This is the chassis I want to build a Hackintosh in, but with a black outer shell…

View attachment 165416

Thank you…!!!

could you please tell us the model of that little white cube??? :D :headbang:

That would be the Osmi, by HG Computers, as found here…

http://hg-computers.eu/product/osmi-case-only/

The unofficial thread for the Osmi chassis is here…

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1843894

Same height as the G4 Cube, but 180mm square footprint, as opposed to the Cube's 200mm square footprint…

The interior of the chassis, with build-up…

Osmiset.gif

Hi Amulder from Italy!, I'm buying hardware parts to set an Hackintosh like that. My doubt falls on the motherboard, this one, the GA h170n wifi by Ggabyte. On your experience...I'm a novice.. Do you think that with the next update of El Capitan, this motherboard will works better?.
The configuration that I'm buying is:

case Cooltek UMX1 plus
Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI
Intel Core i7-7600
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Superclocked, 2GB DDR5
2 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA 6Gb/s 250 GB (one for hackintosh and music composing purpose, last for windows 10)
16GB-Kit Kingston HyperX Fury, DDR4-2133, CL14-14-14
Corsair RM550 psu

What do you think about?.
Can you suggest to me another MB that work better than the GA-H170N-WIFI?
Or I can buy this one?.

Sorry for my english....xP

Apple doesn't use Gigabyte motherboards, as far as I know, so updates to OS X are not especially likely to make things work better. There are a couple people working on ports of Linux drivers for the i219 Ethernet, but no progress to report yet. One person said they were working on a driver for the onboard Intel WiFi, but then went dark.

Most 170 boards are pretty equivalent at this time. Most use the i219, which doesn't work. If you poke around, you can find one using an Atheros or Realtek Ethernet chip, which might be supported already. Also the ASRock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac comes with supported Broadcom WiFi & Bluetooth, though it uses the i219 for Ethernet.

So it really depends on which parts you're looking for.

Fantastic guide! I had the same MoBo and a 6700K in my new build, and was waiting patiently for it to become Hackintoshable and here is suddenly a step-by-step guide on how to do it!

Installed without a hitch, but I haven't yet got my GeForce 980 up and running yet:
I don't seem to have the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext...Info.plst under step 14 of your post-install configuration. Tried just installing Nvidia's WebDriver and editing the config.plst, but that just results in no signal from the GPU after the Apple logo and load progress bar.

Basically I am unable to follow those steps and get the driver running, very likely due to my own newbie-ness. Running on OS X default drivers shows a 7Mb graphics card and is naturally very slow/laggy. If anyone can elaborate or has tips on how to get this rolling, I would be much obliged.

Audio was a bit glitchy for a few minutes. Had to re-select the working "Line out" in settings every minute or so, or the sound would go away. Now it appears to work permanently, but it is outputting in the "wrong" Line Out. It is outputting in the black output (rear surround, I think), rather than on the standard green output as in Windows. Can I re-map that somehow?

Waiting for delivery of a long enough network cable so I can test the online aspects. Currently have the stock WiFi card on the Mobo (any chance of that ever being supported?). Once I am up and running with the wired connection, I'll report back on if iMessage, iCloud and all that works.

I am also getting a 31" Full 4K screen in the next few days so will see how this install handles that, but I don't anticipate any problems there. When you've worked on Retina Macs, the 1080p 27" doesn't look so hot anymore...

Minor issue: when performing shut down/restart or similar, the desktop freezes up and eventually resets (doesn't shut off). Suspect it may be a BIOS setting.

Finally, thank you so much for all your hard work Ammulder!

For the kext in Step 14, you should be aware that /System is hidden by default, but you can poke around in Finder by using Command-Shift-G and entering the path you want to go to. Otherwise, it should be visible at the command line, e.g.
Code:
ls /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/

Another option there is to try Pike R Alpha's fix, though I haven't tried it yet myself so I'm not sure whether it should be expected to work.

In general I don't think you can re-map audio outputs, though you can choose between layout-id 1 and layout-id 3 and that changes the options slightly. The layout-id is set in the audio SSDT, and you can edit the SSDT with MaciASL if you're ambitious. (There is a Clover option to override it too, though when I've tried that it hasn't worked for me on the 170.)

Not sure about the shutdown issue, though on another thread someone said there might be issues if you're using a DisplayPort connector with a Dell non-4K monitor and you don't disable DisplayPort 1.2 (I assume on the monitor menu). It may also be that fixing the GPU problem will fix the shutdown problem at the same time.

Finally, the only hint of Intel WiFi was here, but that person so far has only posted once, ever. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Thanks Ammulder,

I actually managed to find the hidden directory as you were posting your reply. Made the changes and did all the steps under 14. Still same issue with the black screen, but can always boot back in if i go nv_disable=1. I see this issue is rather common.

Maybe it got messed up because I experimented with just the drivers before changing the hidden file or something. Will play around with it and perhaps do a fresh install with everything done in the "right" order as per your guide.

Sounds like it's wired internet for now then, which is fine (cable along the wall may encounter lower WAF, though :lol:)

Edit: Success! Combined Ammulder's fine guide with tips from this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...1-01-maxwell-geforce-gtx-970-980-support.html

I basically followed the guide in this thread for a clean install, but used the internal graphics during the install. Only after "step 14" in the post-install was complete and drivers installed did I physically install the GTX980 and switch graphics output to PCI-E in BIOS. Booted up again and there it was in all its glory. GPU and monitor are properly identified in System Information. Nvidia Manager shows OS X Default Graphics Driver, but that is clearly just a glitch. Boot arguments related to gfx: nvda_drv=1 and kext-dev-mode=1 (not sure if the latter was needed, but it works).:thumbup:

Edit 2: Changing to Audio profile 3 in Clover worked for me. Playing through "green" speaker outlet.

Is Skylake worth the hassle?

Depends on what you're looking for. If you don't mind using an Nvidia card and you don't have hardware or software that won't work under El Capitan, then it's not a particular hassle.

It looks like there have been some patches to get the i219 working. If it proved to be stable, I'll update the guide in a few days. Missing Ethernet was the blocker for a number of folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back