Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you have her just ship you the SDD (or whatever your boot drive is) to you instead of the entire computer and you send her a different boot drive that is carrying your old backup. And if she isn't tech-savvy enough, this way you are still able to give her instructions over the phone to get her computer working with a new SDD that has the old backup. Also, you can spend time with the screwed up 10.11.6 SDD back home without needing to rush it back to her...

I can imagine you'd save a ton of money shipping just the boot drive rather than the entire system.

Great idea...... that will help if se hasn't shipped it back yet. Thank You.

No worries. Sorry I couldn't be of help for the actual 10.11.6 upgrade dilemma

I have a duplicate Asrock Gaming Z170 ITX at home... Just built it and was able to restore from Time Machine Backup.....Upon updating to 10.11.6 the same exact problem occurred. Has anyone successfully updated to 10.11.6?

I have found the cause of the problem. It seems Nvidia GT 630 and Nvidia GT 640 no longer work with this upgrade 10.11.6. Every combination of software (NV_disable=1) (nvda_drv=1) etc or using native OSX driver failed. Problem vanished with a GTX 750Ti.

Has anyone gotten sleep/wake to function on this motherboard?

@op - Hello! I followed your guide. Tried to boot and got a kernel panic https://imgur.com/a/6dOVV

My motherboard isn't the same as yours. It's an ASRock Z170 Pro4 - our sound chips are different, but all in all the boards are really similar. Rest of the parts - i7 6700k, 250GB SSD, 2x8GB DDR4 RAM. Using the Intel HD Graphics 530.

Do you have any suggestions on what might be wrong, maybe change something?

Thank you!

Edit:

Okay, so I disabled the "Serial Port" setting in BIOS and I booted to the Language screen.

Didn't get a kernel panic this time, BUT before the Language screen appeared, the loading bar stopped halfway through and the screen glitched with 7 apples with white stripes in them, then it went black for a second, came back again with the loading bar "stuck" at one spot, and THEN, after 30 seconds, the Language screen came up. That's how it happened.

To be more precise, it looked like this https://imgur.com/a/mlLFy

Do you guys think that it's a graphics problem or? I'm still afraid to install it.. unless it's something that I can fix post-installation.

Any advices?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Asrock Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
Intel 6700K
EVGA GTX 750Ti
16GB Corsair 3200
Hyperx Predator M.2 PCIe G2x4 (50 C at idle)

Playing with Sierra... Some video distortion on menu bars.. (GTX-750Ti) (Nvidia Driver loaded)
Wifi not working... (No hardware found). Also can't mount EFI with Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter 3. If I run the Clover install However it will mount. Might be related to M.2 Kingston Predator? Intel Power Gadget CPU Temps seem low... Bios Setup shows about 10 degree C higher.

Bluetooth OK
Audio OK
Siri OK

Upgrade path from 10.11.6 but similar results from fresh install. edit siri problematic: "trouble with the connection"

Last edited:
First off, a big thanks to you ammulder for taking the time to create this guide and to everyone else who has posted in this thread with helpful information. I successfully install El Capitan today!

Just about everything works great. I'm still only showing half of my ram and 5ghz wifi isn't working, but I've seen posts in this thread about those issues and will look into them later.

I'm having one big issue that I can't seem to find any information about. I am able to authorize my computer for iTunes, but I cannot enable iCloud library management. I get the error, "You cannot associate this computer with another Apple ID for 72 days".

At first I thought I had coincidentally chosen the same serial as somebody else, so I started the process over from scratch and created a different serial number. Even after this, I'm still getting the same error, with the same 72 day wait.

I was able to use iCloud for my photos, and I can browse through Apple Music. It seems so strange that I can't download any of my purchases and I can't enable iCloud library. I've googled around but haven't found much. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. :-]

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back