Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any of you had success updating to Sierra?
If so, were there any hiccups?

Need help. I am using the base config with a few changes. core i3-6320, 2x DDR-2133 (8GB each),onboard 530 graphics, and I updated BIOS to 1.7 (shows version P7.10). System installed and booted Win10 then I wiped the drive.
Followed the instruction to the best of my knowledge. When I get to boot up the bars move about half way. Screen goes blank and my monitor shows no signal. Monitor is a cheap 1080p MAG using HDMI. When I switched to the HDMI port between the SPDIF and DP the screen now also flashes some weird colors on and off several times then it gets stuck. What is my next step to troubleshoot this install?

Need help. I am using the base config with a few changes. core i3-6320, 2x DDR-2133 (8GB each),onboard 530 graphics, and I updated BIOS to 1.7 (shows version P7.10). System installed and booted Win10 then I wiped the drive.
Followed the instruction to the best of my knowledge. When I get to boot up the bars move about half way. Screen goes blank and my monitor shows no signal. Monitor is a cheap 1080p MAG using HDMI. When I switched to the HDMI port between the SPDIF and DP the screen now also flashes some weird colors on and off several times then it gets stuck. What is my next step to troubleshoot this install?

I'm in the same boat as you. Followed every step of the guide to the point.
I started the installer in verbose mode and I see no errors, but at some point the monitor will not get a signal and goes black. I have no indication of what went wrong.

I imagine it has something to do with the graphics.

I'm in the same boat as you. Followed every step of the guide to the point.
I started the installer in verbose mode and I see no errors, but at some point the monitor will not get a signal and goes black. I have no indication of what went wrong.

I imagine it has something to do with the graphics.

So I put in a Radeon 270 card and was able to boot up with that. I tried switching the settings to go back and use the on board 530 and no dice. I tried an old Radeon R7 240 and that is what I am using right now. I can install and get into the OS now but I still have some other issues to work on.
  • WiFi is working but somehow the Ethernet will not start.
  • Shows 8GB of RAM and should be 16GB
  • The graphics acceleration is clearly not working correct on either of the ATI cards I am using
    • I would rather use the internal 530 for purposes of low power and low heat, this is not mean to be a powerhouse rig for me.

So I put in a Radeon 270 card and was able to boot up with that. I tried switching the settings to go back and use the on board 530 and no dice. I tried an old Radeon R7 240 and that is what I am using right now. I can install and get into the OS now but I still have some other issues to work on.
  • WiFi is working but somehow the Ethernet will not start.
  • Shows 8GB of RAM and should be 16GB
  • The graphics acceleration is clearly not working correct on either of the ATI cards I am using
    • I would rather use the internal 530 for purposes of low power and low heat, this is not mean to be a powerhouse rig for me.
Update. I decided to try Sierra, why not? I got sierra working with the R9 270 and it is in a semi stable graphics mode.
The system memory still shows up as 8GB instead of 16GB. The BIOS most definitely shows 16GB so I am not sure what happened there.
The audio is not working, I am going to try the multi beast again to see if I can fix that as well.
I swapped out the Ethernet driver for the IntelMausiDriver. This experimental one seems to work for me.

Last edited:
El Capitan seems to be working flawlessly (for me). With Sierra, it's riddled with bugs.
Is there a possibility that Sierra will never be supported as well as El Capitan, or is it a matter of waiting for newer kexts?

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Onboard HDMI doesn't work for me. Has anyone else gotten it working?

Last edited:
I need help getting the HDMI working :banghead:
What could I possibly have done wrong?
I'm using BIOS 1.70 instead of 1.50. Could that be it?

i have the asrock fatal1ty z170 gaming k4 motherboard but i cant get sound! plz help!

i have the asrock fatal1ty z170 gaming k4 motherboard but i cant get sound! plz help!
oh yeah and i am running sierra because both el capitan and sierra work the same, just a few animation glitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back