Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye, I knew that now. After trying BIOS 2.10 and 1.80, they don't make any difference in OSX. But Windows 10 will crash when waking up from sleep with BIOS 2.10. Therefore, I will stay in BIOS 1.80 for a while. Thanks!!

My Configuration
  • BIOS 1.50 (current at the time of writing)
  • Core i7-6700
  • 2x 4 GB DDR4-2133 CL10 (XMP 2.0 Profile 1)
  • GeForce GTX 960
  • Kingston HyperX Predator PCIe x4 m.2 drive
  • Included BCM94352 WiFi/Bluetooth chip

Ammulder: First off, thank you for this amazing guide, and thank you for sharing your hard work's outcome with all of us.

Anyways, I just had a few questions. I just finished the physical build of my Hackintosh with VERY similar specs, but there are some differences:

- SAME MOTHERBOARD, BUT I HAVE BIOS 1.60
- Core i7-6700k (mine is unlocked, but I don't plan on turbo boosting it or whatever)
- DIFFERENT RAM... 2x 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
- DIFFERENT GPU... EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified Graphics Card ‑ 3 GB
- Samsung 840 PRO 128 GB (normal sata connection)

So I plan on following your guide exactly, but before I begin, I have two quick questions:

#1: I was just wondering exactly what I must do differently (since I have a different GPU and different RAM) with the multibeast/unibeast setup and also what to do differently in BIOS setup. I'm sure the SSD won't make a difference, though... but if it does, please let me know!

#2: Do I only install one stick of RAM to begin, or should I just place both in before starting? Does it even matter? Also, must I wait to install the GPU until later in the install also? The integrated graphics work fine for me when loading the BIOS obviously.

Thank you so so so much

- ZILM

Followed all your steps and now I'm trying to do the install. I keep getting hit with this error (see attached) before the progress bar even shows. I have one stick of DDR4-3200 RAM (8GB) installed and no graphics card installed. I am using the DisplayPort on the motherboard for graphics.

Please help!! Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8916.JPG
    IMG_8916.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 157
Google ...

"If you get this error while trying to install Mac OSX on your system then it means your RAM stick isn’t inserted into the correct RAM slot. You need to move at least one of the RAM sticks into slot zero of your motherboard, this is usually the slot nearest to the processor."

Maybe you should install both of your RAM and try again.

Wow, okay thank you tyeh for that information. I installed both sticks of RAM (total of 16GB) and the progress bar showed up, but after it loaded a bit the screen bricked up and the apple logo changed into a circle-backslash symbol. I loaded it in verbose mode and things went crazy, the screen went fuzzy and it kept printing similar lines on the screen: "...AppleUSBHostResourses@: AppleUSBHostResources::allocateDownstreamBusCurrentGated: assuming successful wakeUnits 150 sleepUnits 0"

Please see attached. Two pictures are in verbose mode, one isn't.

I don't have a clue what is going on, I'm almost certain I followed the guide perfectly and I have only minor hardware differences in my build. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8922.JPG
    IMG_8922.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_8925.JPG
    IMG_8925.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_8926.JPG
    IMG_8926.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 274
I'm such an idiot! I put the USB stick in the two ports beneath the PS/2 port forgetting that ammulder had me disable them with a boot argument.

"The Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac has too many USB ports for El Capitan (19, while the limit is 15). By default, the USB2 header on the motherboard is disabled using the uia_exclude boot argument, along with USB3 devices on the two ports under the PS/2 port."

I just booted successfully into OS X!!!!

13. Edit the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist and search it for Mac-65CE76090165799A. On the line after that, change Config2 to none and save the file.

So Mac OS X El Capitan is officially on my permanent SSD but I'm stuck at post-installation #13 (shown above)

The problem I am facing is with permissions. I am unable to edit "Config2 to none" since TextEdit is blocking me and saying that I do not have permission to edit (write) the file, and instead asks me if I want to make a duplicate copy. Attempting to avoid the making of a duplicate copy, I right-clicked on Info.plist and clicked Get Info and tried to edit the permissions there, with no luck.

Because this didn't work, I created a duplicate copy and placed that instead of the original Info.plist. I saved and continued to the next step, #14 (shown below).

#14. Rebuild the kernel cache using the following two commands in terminal:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

I entered the first sudo command and it seemed to work until the end, it said something along the lines giving an "okay-go" to a few kexts, saying that although they had invalid certificates or something, they were still fine and rebuilt or whatever. Then, my problem appears within the last printed line: it said that AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext had invalid permissions and it was thus omitted. ...I don't know what it was omitted from, and I don't understand what this sudo command is really doing, but to me it seemed very clear the sudo command did not go through properly BECAUSE of what I did in #13. All I need to know is how to edit the ORIGINAL Info.plist without creating a duplicate.

THANKS!

Just fixed it. Followed this guide to repair the permissions of the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext found in ~/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Repairing permissions used to be waaay easier before the release of El Capitan, all one needed to do was go to Disk Utility. Nowadays, Apple removed this from Disk Utility because it should be rarely used. On the bright side, we can still repair permissions within the command line (Terminal).

If anyone has this problem, please follow these steps. It worked for me!

Tried to upgrade to 10.11.6 with disastrous results. System began installing update and rebooted as expected... problem seen as loading graphic bar reached half way then screen goes blank. Nvidia GT-640 does not need beta drivers.... tried MB HDMI with similar results. Tried nv_disable=1 , Tried removing Nvidia Card...All the same... Drive light indicates SOMTHING is going on but after 45 min maually rebooted. Same results after reboot.

Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX/ac with 16 gig and nothing else fancy... Was functioning perfect before update (WiFi Bluetooth all USB's).

I had shipped the system out to my sister 3000mi away and I arrived to set it up for her a week later. The update was release the day of my departure back home. No back up. (although I do have a backup at home 3000mi away :( I checked the update thread and most folks were joyful. Hard decision. This system would not be updated again.. I figured it was worth the gamble to get the final version of El Capitan installed.

System will be shipped back to me ( could not fly home with it... she discarded the box and packing material). I could restore from Time Machine backup or am I better off just making a new boot disk with 10.11.6?
Any one else experience this? Did you solve it?

Thanks

Why don't you have her just ship you the SSD (or whatever your boot drive is) to you instead of the entire computer and you send her a different boot drive that is carrying your old backup. And if she isn't tech-savvy enough, this way you are still able to give her instructions over the phone to get her computer working with a new SSD that has the old backup. Also, you can spend time with the screwed up 10.11.6 SSD back home without needing to rush it back to her...

I can imagine you'd save a ton of money shipping just the boot drive rather than the entire system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back