Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I don't understand what I am doing wrong, (3rd time install) but the last steps of the Pos-Installation always lead me to the NO ENTRY sign (after a while of Apple Logo and progress bar) after having update and saved the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

I have checked all the BIOS settings (v0039) and all entries are identical to the post with the screenshots.

I manually checked with TextEdit the contents of the SMBIOS description part and compared it with the one posted and apart from the vendor name and the frequency there are no differences.

When copying the SSDT, is there only one (SSDT-i5-6260u.aml) or two (SSDT-i5-6260u.aml, SSDT-XOSI.aml) to be copied in the patched directory of EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ ?

Attached is a copy of my config.plist just before I remove the USB Installer and reboot.

Attachments

• Vol-EFI-EFI-CLOVER-v2-config.plist.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 109
I got it up an running.

I think that what I was doing wrong was that in the "Install El Capitan" chapter step 8, after having I was trying to partition the disk to have a Linux partition and a Windows partition.

I assumed that it would not make a difference but somehow along the line it did.

Thanks for the awesome Guide.

Now I'll try to get the Wireless running and remove the display video glitch.

Cheers

Thanks to all who assisted with the config.plist :thumbup:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/99161?tstart=0

My NUC is NUC6i5syk, I have updated BIOS to 0039, and I encountered the same problem. I installed OSX 10.11.4 on NUC according tohttp://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/183839-guide-el-capitan-intel-skylake-nuc.html. I've tried many times, finally I found a necessary steps into the problem, as follows:

1. Boot OSX 10.11.4, log into the system
2. Press Ctrl + Shift + Power locking system screen
3. Wait about 5 minutes
4. Click the keyboard so that it appears the system unlock screen, enter your user name and password to unlock the screen
5. Click Launchpad on OSX's Dock about 20 times quickly
6. Click Downloads -> Open In Finder on OSX's Dock, then the problem occurs

Sorry about my poor english, eager to get help!

hi,
I have a 6i3SYH and I am facing following problems, maybe you can help with:

I have installed SSDT-i3-6100u.aml (i3-6100U w/ HD 520), but the GPU reported is Iris 550, this is the case in Kodi and Plex Media Player (based on mpv), there is no hardware acceleration, but the result is totally OK and usable on both applications. The system report shows a HD 520. Is this right?

Audio goes away, it is still not clear to me when this is happening, the only action that fixes it, is sending the machine to sleep and waking up. A restart does not solve it. Any tips?

TIA.

Hi

I've managed to go quite far in the installation process.

In steps 9 to 13 I added extra partitions for later adding Linux and maybe W10.

I got all the way to step 16 of the [Post-Installation Configuration].
For the memory configuration I struggled a bit I ended up putting :
slot 0 8192 MB 2133 Mhz
slot 2 8192 MB 2133 Mhz
slot count 4

I skipped step 17 (don't care about iMessage)

So I did step 19, ejected and removed the USB Install Drive, restarted the machine (I did a reboot from OSX, maybe I should have hard rebooted it.

I landed on the clover menu, it took of on the OSX launch after 2 seconds with the Apple logo, after about 50% of progress on the progress bar the Apple Logo changed to a No Parking sign with no progress bar and the system is blocked.

I tried re-installing from the USB Install key (but without erasing the SSD) but I get the same punishment.

I wil try re-installing from the USB Install key (this time erasing the SSD).

I do believe that it is with configuration of the Memory that things went astray (I have 2 x 16 GB but the menu in clover configurator doesn't propose beyond 8 GB)

Any help is warmly welcome.

Cheers

I am having the same issue as BeBop noted above.

NUC 6i5SYH
Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVMe
32 GB (2X16) DRR4 2133 memory (I have tried both Crucial and G.Skill memory with same results)

Followed install guide without significant issues. I did forget to use the NVMe driver kext at first and was unable to install. I added the NVMeGeneric.kext file to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 on the EFI partition of my USB drive that I created with Unibeast and this let me install OSX to the NVMe drive.

Install El Capitan section of your guide then went fine. I set up a user and was able to start the Post-Installation Instructions.

MultiBeast ran fine as did Clover Configurator. I did find that I was unable to follow Step 16 within CC to set the memory size to more than 8196 so I modified the config.plist file to set each memory to 16384 and speed to 2133.

The problem starts when I tried to restart without the USB drive in step 20. Clover comes up nicely on restart and the Apple Logo shows up but when I get 50% through the bar, the No Entry sign comes up.

A few observations:
When I run System Report prior to reboot:
1) Memory shows as 16GB (2x8GB)
2) NVMExpress shows "This computer does not contain any NVMExpress devices..."

A few questions:
1) Do I need to put a copy of the NVMeGeneric.kext somewhere in the Hackintosh EFI drive?
2) Am I missing a mod to the config.plist file to get the memory recognized?
3) Anything else. BeBop mentions partitions, but I have only set up 1 partition for MacOS each time I've tried.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1) Do I need to put a copy of the NVMeGeneric.kext somewhere in the Hackintosh EFI drive?
2) Am I missing a mod to the config.plist file to get the memory recognized?
3) Anything else. BeBop mentions partitions, but I have only set up 1 partition for MacOS each time I've tried.

Fixed!!

Just needed to put the NVMeGeneric.kext into EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 folders. 10.10 probably not needed but didn't hurt.

You have provided a great resource here, can't thank you enough.

A few suggestions for the procedure on the first post would help:

1) Maybe a statement that boot from M.2 NVMe can be done. (Lots of stuff on the web saying not possible)

2) Add a note to Prepare Bootable USB Install Drive section that says to add NVMeGeneric.kext to USB EFI partition EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and to the postinstall folder.

3) Add instructions to the Post-Installation Configuration section for changing config.plist manually if using over 16GB and to copy NVMeGeneric.kext from postinstall folder to NUC EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11. (and 10.10??)

Hopefully this will help people in the future! Good luck and thanks!

NUC 6i5SYH running great with El Capitan now but have found an issue with remote access.

I would like to use these machine headless and use ARD to control. I enabled remote management on the NUC and can easily find the NUC with ARD on another iMac. I can send commands to the NUC and access the NUC through ssh but whenever I attempt to screen share, either ARD doesn not find the NUC or the NUC freezes and disappears from ARD Bonjour list.

I tried changing network adapter from Mausi kext to AppleIntel kext but same behavior.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

thank you for this great guide - I used it to install El Capitan on my NUC6i5 without any problems.

After using the NUC a few days, I noticed that the sound sometimes just stops working. It sounds like the headphone jack is plugged off, then the sound is gone. This only happens if there is currently no audio output, as long as it's playing music, the audio remains. After the sound 'died', it sometimes enabled itself again after 5-20 min., but usually I have to restart the computer.

This happens at least once a day. I tested several headphones/speakers, it's always the same. In OS X there is no sign for this problem, no settings were changed when the sound stops working, nothing, the sound is just gone.

Could anybody help me? Thanks in advance!

Great Guide ! Thanks!

worked flawlessly

I successfully installed El capitan on the NUC today :)
Only thing not working at the moment is when I try to boot with two monitors. I get weird graphical glitches when booting with two monitors, whereas with 1 monitor everything is fine. Any thoughts ?

Also the system reports I have the intel 550 gpu, instead of the 540. Is this normal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back