Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my entire SMBIOS section of config.plist with memory settings, for reference. (This is my H170N-WIFI, but the only meaningful difference is that the memory speed is 3200 instead of 2133):

Code:
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>09/22/2015</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>IM171.88Z.0105.B00.1509221819</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-65CE76090165799A</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
		<key>BoardVersion</key>
		<string>iMac17,1</string>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>13</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>iMac</string>
		<key>LocationInChassis</key>
		<string>Part Component</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>Memory</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Channels</key>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<key>Modules</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Frequency</key>
					<integer>3200</integer>
					<key>Part</key>
					<string>F4-3200C15D-32GTZ</string>
					<key>Serial</key>
					<string>1605A5000534833</string>
					<key>Size</key>
					<string>16384</string>
					<key>Slot</key>
					<integer>2</integer>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>DDR4</string>
					<key>Vendor</key>
					<string>G.SKILL</string>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Frequency</key>
					<integer>3200</integer>
					<key>Part</key>
					<string>F4-3200C15D-32GTZ</string>
					<key>Serial</key>
					<string>1605A5000534834</string>
					<key>Size</key>
					<string>16384</string>
					<key>Slot</key>
					<integer>0</integer>
					<key>Type</key>
					<string>DDR4</string>
					<key>Vendor</key>
					<string>G.SKILL</string>
				</dict>
			</array>
			<key>SlotCount</key>
			<integer>4</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>iMac17,1</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>C02Q0000GG7L</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>

Ammulder, could you please paste the Appendix A in here or back to the OP? I cannot access the App Store in order to update to 10.11.4 from 10.11.3 and don't remember what was needed to change in the Clover editor in order to turn off/on graphics acceleration and have access to the App Store..

Thanks!

Also for any of you boot up speed freaks out there like me, under "Boot / Boot Configuration / UEFI Boot" selecting "Fast Boot" skips the "Intel NUC" startup screen and goes right to Apple logo startup screen(In Clover I have boot up there set to 0 to skip the Clover startup screen). This thing boots in about 25 seconds now :) But if I need to access BIOS, I wait a few seconds after boot up and start pressing F2 like crazy until the BIOS screen appears.

I would, personally, rather not do that as I've skimmed on the Intel Community NUC forum that the fast boot might be correlated w/ a WHEA issue that seems to have been plaguing the NUC6 users (and some sudden deaths from overheating/fan issues etc. which seem to be the cause of such frequent BIOS updates from Intel trying to fix things up).

I think the easiest way to get in just to run the App Store once is to boot in Safe Mode (space bar from the Clover menu).
That has, sadly, never worked for me, it restarts after a couple of seconds of text.

Was it in the Clover Configurator (config.plist from EFI) / Devices / Intel GFX? I have 0x0 in there, what was it for turning the acceleration off?

Thanks

That has, sadly, never worked for me, it restarts after a couple of seconds of text.

Was it in the Clover Configurator (config.plist from EFI) / Devices / Intel GFX? I have 0x0 in there, what was it for turning the acceleration off?

Thanks

If I remeber correctly it was 0x123456 or 0x12345678 (Think it was the first one)

Devices / FakeID / IntelGFX. Virtually any 8 hex digits will do, but 0x12345678 should at least make it pretty obvious what's going on if you forget to change it back after updating. You'll want to change it back to 0x0 as soon as you can after updating to 10.11.4.

Ive completely erased my NUC and followed your new guide.

Questions:

1.)
You wrote:
Record the serial number that MultiBeast generated. To do this:

But I have a blank field after loading the config.plist created by multibeast.
Ive attached the config created by multibeast.

Instead Ive used the serial number of your config.plist and changed the four 0 (zeros) (this was the way you've done it in the old guide).
Is this safe for using iMessage etc.? Or do I need any other serial number?

2.)
Since Ive only 1 DDR4 Memory Stick, Ive deleted the entry for Slot2.
I also changed Dual Chanel to Single Chanel and changed Slot Count 4 to Slot Count 2.
Is this the right way for a single chanel setup?

Thanks for sharing your awesome work ammulder!

Last edited:
I have a blank field after loading the config.plist created by multibeast.
Ive attached the config created by multibeast.

Instead Ive used the serial number of your config.plist and changed the four 0 (zeros) (this was the way you've done it in the old guide).
Is this safe for using iMessage etc.? Or do I need any other serial number?

That should be fine. You'll need other settings for iMessage too, but that should be good enough for the serial number.

Since Ive only 1 DDR4 Memory Stick, Ive deleted the entry for Slot2.
I also changed Dual Chanel to Single Chanel and changed Slot Count 4 to Slot Count 2.
Is this the right way for a single chanel setup?

I'm not sure; I've always used two chips. But it sounds reasonable to me. If "About this Mac" shows the correct amount of memory, you should be fine.

It works!
Now just one more question, after I installed windows 10 and renamed the .efi file, I have 2 windows partitions to select.

One which boots into Windows 10 and one which can't boot anything. It is named: Boot into Windows from

If I press Spacebar there is no UUID.

Do you know what I have to write into Clover configurators 'hide' section to hide it on the boot screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back