Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Skylake NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met the same problem. After tried many times, I recovered AppleHDA.kext, removed some configurations about ALC283 sound card in Clover's config.plist file, and then installed the VoodooHDA-2.8.8. Now the headphone jack works stablly. I think in this tutorial we should teach users to install more stable VoodooHDA.

Hello,

thank you for this great guide - I used it to install El Capitan on my NUC6i5 without any problems.

After using the NUC a few days, I noticed that the sound sometimes just stops working. It sounds like the headphone jack is plugged off, then the sound is gone. This only happens if there is currently no audio output, as long as it's playing music, the audio remains. After the sound 'died', it sometimes enabled itself again after 5-20 min., but usually I have to restart the computer.

This happens at least once a day. I tested several headphones/speakers, it's always the same. In OS X there is no sign for this problem, no settings were changed when the sound stops working, nothing, the sound is just gone.

Could anybody help me? Thanks in advance!

I met the same problem. After tried many times, I recovered AppleHDA.kext, removed some configurations about ALC283 sound card in Clover's config.plist file, and then installed the VoodooHDA-2.8.8. Now the headphone jack works stablly. I think in this tutorial we should teach users to install more stable VoodooHDA.

Could you please tell me what you did exactly? I don't know what to change in config.plist... Right now it says that no audio devices were found. I re-installed the original AppleHDA.kext and installed VoodooHDA 2.8.8.

I successfully installed El capitan on the NUC today :)
Only thing not working at the moment is when I try to boot with two monitors. I get weird graphical glitches when booting with two monitors, whereas with 1 monitor everything is fine. Any thoughts ?

Also the system reports I have the intel 550 gpu, instead of the 540. Is this normal ?

It seems to be normal... My Intel Iris Graphics 540 is recognized as a 550 too. I'm not sure about the problem with two monitors, I'm just using one...

Update: I am not able to get two 4K displays working simultaneously (one on HDMI, one on DP). But either one individually works fine (with the HDMI patch).

Did you test this for 4K displays only, or does it hold for all displays (simultaneously)?
Because I can't get two 1080p displays to work simultaneously...
While booting, I see the Apple logo on both displays, but then one screen gets black and the other one has weird graphical issues + I can't do anything.

Edit: During the installation (post install included), both monitors are working. After the reboot following the post install procedure, dual-monitor stops working and I get the bug described above.

I deleted from config.plist as follows:

Code:
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>10.9-10.11-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC283</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>YgLsEA==</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>gwLsEA==</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AppleHDA/Resources/xml&gt;zml</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>eG1sLnps</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>em1sLnps</data>
			</dict>

also deleted realtekALC.kext from /Library/Extensions/, then I reinstalled the original AppleHDA.kext and VoodoHDA-2.8.8.pkg

Could you please tell me what you did exactly? I don't know what to change in config.plist... Right now it says that no audio devices were found. I re-installed the original AppleHDA.kext and installed VoodooHDA 2.8.8.

also deleted realtekALC.kext from /Library/Extensions/, then I reinstalled the original AppleHDA.kext and VoodoHDA-2.8.8.pkg

Nice! Sound is working like a charm. Thank you!!! :headbang:

NUC 6i5SYH running great with El Capitan now but have found an issue with remote access.

I would like to use these machine headless and use ARD to control. I enabled remote management on the NUC and can easily find the NUC with ARD on another iMac. I can send commands to the NUC and access the NUC through ssh but whenever I attempt to screen share, either ARD doesn not find the NUC or the NUC freezes and disappears from ARD Bonjour list.

I tried changing network adapter from Mausi kext to AppleIntel kext but same behavior.

Any thoughts?

Fixed.
Entered into Terminal on the NUC:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteManagement.plist DisableOpenCL -bool yes

No more screen sharing problems.

Is anyone experiencing the trouble that is being reported on the Intel forums? There seems to be a firmware issue about voltage regulation. See post 281 of this thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/96821?start=270&tstart=0

Intel is continuing to investigate the "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" issue reported by end users on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYH, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYK, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH, and Intel® NUC KitNUC6i5SYK products. Intel will continue to provide updates on this ongoing investigation of the "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR". We will provide an additional update by Friday, April 22, or sooner if relevant information becomes available.

Intel has released BIOS version 0042 that improves the electrical overstress protection in the voltage regulator circuitry on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYH, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYK, Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH, and Intel® NUC KitNUC6i5SYK products. While the root cause investigation continues, Intel recommends customers update the Intel NUC to BIOS version 0042.

Users who see "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" repeatedly on these products are encouraged to contact Intel Customer Support for assistance.

I have NUC6i5SYH and have the same audio cutout problems. I downloaded VoodooHDA v2.8.8 but where do I download the original AppleHDA.kext?

Thanks!

I deleted from config.plist as follows:

Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>10.9-10.11-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC283</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>YgLsEA==</data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>gwLsEA==</data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AppleHDA/Resources/xml&gt;zml</string>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>eG1sLnps</data>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>em1sLnps</data>
            </dict>

I have NUC6i5SYH and have the same audio cutout problems. I downloaded VoodooHDA v2.8.8 but where do I download the original AppleHDA.kext?

Thanks!

You can extract the original AppleHDA.kext from your USB flash drive that you used to install El Capitan. These files are hidden by default, so you have to run two commands in Terminal:

Code:
[FONT=Menlo]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
[/FONT]killall Finder

Now navigate to [Your USB flash drive]/System/Library/Extensions/. Here you will find the original AppleHDA.kext.

Just run the commands above with FALSE instead of TRUE to hide the files again.
Does anybody experience some strange crashes too? Sometimes (less than once a day, I think), mostly when I click something, the screen immediately turns completely white or brown. The only way to get out of this is to power off the NUC by long pressing the power button. After restart, there are no error messages. I don't know how to get more information about this...

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back