Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
For #2. AppleIntelE1000e.kext is already installed. I will try IntelMausiEthernet.kext. But how to install this? ;)

The AppleIntelE1000e on that post is probably a newer version.

But anyway, you should first remove the old driver kext. You can go to the place you've installed it in Finder (typically either /Library/Extensions or on your EFI partition -- look in all dirs under EFI/CLOVER/kexts/) and right-click and move to trash and then empty trash and then reboot. Make sure you don't see any Ethernet connection after you reboot.

Then, use KextBeast or something similar to install the newer version or other kext to /Library/Extensions (alternately, drag and drop it to the same locations you found the old one in on the EFI partition) and reboot again. Then you should get working Ethernet after you reboot.

Please boot verbose (select recovery and then hit space bar to select verbose) and post a photo of the screen when it stops.

ammulder,

first of all, thanks for your help!

Please find attached what happens:

recovery_failure.jpg

Basically I get an "Error loading kernel cache (0x7)" Boot failed

Any thoughts?

Is there any pkg or anything to override the contents of this partition?

I have also attached the output of a "diskutil list" command:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 250.0 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Apple_HFS Data 499.9 GB disk0s4
5: Microsoft Reserved 16.8 MB disk0s5
6: Microsoft Basic Data 249.3 GB disk0s6

Thanks a lot!

Often the error loading kernel cache means SIP is enabled. You may be able to temporarily get around it by booting without caches (space bar from the Clover menu) but I would double-check the RtVariables in config.plist in any case.

OK, I'm trying a USB DAC now on the 5i7RYH with 10.11.2 and just based on a few minutes, it seems to be working fine. Mine does not require drivers. I'll leave it on for a while and make sure it's still working later.

Edit: Many hours later, still working. So I don't seem to have the same issue. I have one more DAC I can try to be sure, but I'll only update again if that one breaks.

Thanks for looking into that. Like dakishimesan0, it just occurs just once in a while, but at random and quite suddenly.

Typical USB devices like keyboard, mouse, scanner, mic, external drive, even ipad and iphone all seem to keep their connections fine, and all work without fail. So, I'm wondering if non-typical USB devices, like the outboard DAC, are prone to dropouts of some kind?

Do you know of other USB-related kexts I could try out?

Thanks again,

S

@ammulder im ready to release the wifi driver, maybe you can add it somehow. Can i send you the source so you can compile it and have a go? If its ok, then maybe include it?

Is the wifi driver for the Intel wireless embedded in the NUC? If so, and you and ammulder can get it to work, that would be AWESOME!!

S

Step 5 under "Install El Capitan" in the first post will take you through formatting the drive. You need to do that before you can select the disk in Step 13.

Hi anmulder,

i wanted to thank you for your help and this awesome guide! my Nuc i7 works perfectly, even my 21:9 (34um95) Screen works fine. okay wireless not working, but i don't need it.

i am really happy, thanks a lot :thumbup:

greetings
chris

Thanks for looking into that. Like dakishimesan0, it just occurs just once in a while, but at random and quite suddenly.

Typical USB devices like keyboard, mouse, scanner, mic, external drive, even ipad and iphone all seem to keep their connections fine, and all work without fail. So, I'm wondering if non-typical USB devices, like the outboard DAC, are prone to dropouts of some kind?

I would try not using the orange charge port if you're using it, or using it if you're not.

I would try using a USB hub, especially if you have one that has a separate power plug.

You could also try setting Devices / USB / HighCurrent in config.plist.

I would try not using the orange charge port if you're using it, or using it if you're not.

I would try using a USB hub, especially if you have one that has a separate power plug.

You could also try setting Devices / USB / HighCurrent in config.plist.

A few weeks ago when I first saw this on my machine, I moved my USB DAC to a usb 3.0 hub with independent power source, thinking also that it might have to do with current draw, but it had no effect on the once/few days drop outs of audio. But part of the reason I started using the USB dac in the first place because I was getting more frequent dropouts of the internal headphone port audio.

Lately I've been suspicious that the problem has something to do with audio-over-HDMI, specifically that even though I'm not using it, OSX recognizes my TV as an audio device over HDMI and is causing some sort of conflict... because when I switch to the HDMI audio intentionally, I'm not always able to switch back to my USB DAC or the built-in headphone jack, hence my suspicion. But my issue occurs too infrequently for it to bug me enough to disconnect my HDMI display and see if it still happens without it. If this would help you to know, let me know (if you have an HDMI display with audio attached).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back