Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ammulder, thank you very much for the effort and time on putting this together... I can see how this is saving time and frustration for a lot of people.

I have the NUC5i7RYH, everything works perfectly following your guide, sound via HDMI and headphones as well as bluetooth all work flawlessly, but it took 2 attempts for these to work for some strange reason.

Issues I've had so far:
- ethernet stops working suddenly, even without the system going to sleep.
- I've had the NUC going to sleep as usual, then turning itself off and giving a "thermal trip warning" when I turned the NUC on, right after the NUC BIOS screen, but otherwise, everything works natively, even imessage.

Do you think choosing a early 2015 13" macbook pro in the magic wand instead of macbook air would work better? This 13" MBP which has a i7 - 5557U processor, exactly like the NUC5i7RYH http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro/ I haven't tried it yet, but it would make more sense than the macbook air recommended on this this guide.

Again, I am truly very thankful for this great thread!

One thing I was thinking is as this is like a Mac Mini wouldn't that be the best thing to choose instead of Macbook Air/Pro?

Thanks

according to the everymac.com listing of mac models, i don't think there is a broadwell mac mini.

i have the nuc 5i5RYH which has the i5-5250U cpu, sp i plan to try the iMac late 2015 which also uses the i5-5250U and HD6000 graphics.

IF i can find the details for the imac16,1 SMBIOS. haven't found it yet. i found imac16,2 smbios but that model has HD6200 gfx.

Honestly, the first person to ever figure out how to get OS X running on the NUC used the MacBook Air, and I just kept using it because it worked for me. You're welcome to try other system definitions and see if you find one that works better. It may be that MacPro3,1 works as well as anything else -- it seems to be the "old faithful" of system definitions.

For anyone having problems with Ethernet or sleep/wake, I'd suggest trying the Mausi driver instead of the AppleIntelE1000e driver. I plan to switch the guide to that with the next MultiBeast release (which should include it).

And on the wake after shutdown issue, I found a combination of BIOS settings that fixed it for me for BIOS 352 (again, using the Mausi Ethernet driver).

Just finished hackintoshing my 5i5RYK, many thanks to ammulder and my fellow geeks here at tonymacx86 for the work that went into this.

I wanted to add my configuration notes in case they might help anyone sort out any problems.

[5i5RYK Hackintosh Notes: Success ]
Hardware:
NUC 5i5RYK, purchased on Amazon on Dec 18 2015, came out of box with BIOS vers 350
Primary Drive: Samsung 950 Pro 256GB (M.2, NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x4, SSD)
RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3LP 1600Mhz 4GBx2, both RAM slots used

Notes:
1. NVMe driver add to Unibeast USB EFI partition: if your drive is NVMe, like the 950 Pro, don't forget to add the NVMe driver kext before you attempt to install OSX, or disk utility will not be able to see your M.2 drive. Not necessary for M.2 SATA drives. This is covered correctly in the guide, but it's a step I missed the first time.

2. M2 PCIe 3.0 x4 drives work on Broadwell NUC's PCIe 2.0 x4 slot, are insanely fast : Bandwidth is reduced, but still works. Max bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x4 is 2000MB/s, which is below the 950 Pro max sequential (!) but still gives you 90%+ of the performance in normal computing tasks.

3. First Boot from USB Clover fail: After setting all BIOS settings appropriately, my first boot to the Unibeast USB failed to get into the Clover bootloader, instead showing only a green dash on black screen. Reboot, success on second and all future boots.

4. Audio dropout : Occasionally when audio is running in multiple sources (i.e. two browser tabs, an MKV running in VLC and a youtube vid, etc), audio from headphone jack will cut out. Audio over HDMI still works. Reboot fixes .

5. USB audio devices: My usb headphone/Mic adapter, using the C-Media chipset, works by default. Audio cutout issue may occur with this as well. USB unplug replug fixes.

6. Shutdown causes reboot loop: Disabling all Wake on LAN options in BIOS fixes.

7. Multiple display mouse issue: When running two displays @ 1080p, one from HDMI, one from Displayport, turning one off will cause other to lose source momentarily. More urgently, turning one off causes mouse pointer malfunction where mouse will pause/skip/jump :beachball: instead of smooth normal operation. Solution is to temporarily turn display mirroring on then back off in display properties (if not mirroring), or if mirroring, to switch which display is the mirror target (i.e. 'Display A mirrors B' instead of 'B mirrors A') will resolve issue.

8. I've had no issues with the Intel E1000 NIC kext on wake from sleep.

Thank you, good luck all!

Untitdle.jpg

7. Multiple display mouse issue: When running two displays @ 1080p, one from HDMI, one from Displayport, turning one off will cause other to lose source momentarily. More urgently, turning one off causes mouse pointer malfunction where mouse will pause/skip/jump :beachball: instead of smooth normal operation. Solution is to temporarily turn display mirroring on then back off in display properties (if not mirroring), or if mirroring, to switch which display is the mirror target (i.e. 'Display A mirrors B' instead of 'B mirrors A') will resolve issue.

I have the same problem. My little workaround for this is that after I turned one display off to plug-out and plug-in the HDMI or display port cable from the NUC. My NUC is on my table so this is easy.
I had the exact same problem early with my MacBook Pro when I was using two monitors and switching one off. So I suspect this is a general OS X problem.

My little workaround for this is that after I turned one display off to plug-out and plug-in the HDMI or display port cable from the NUC. My NUC is on my table so this is easy.
I had the exact same problem early with my MacBook Pro when I was using two monitors and switching one off. So I suspect this is a general OS X problem.

Thank you for letting me know that you've seen this too! I think it must be related to some weird refresh rate sync mismatch when one monitor suddenly goes offline; if you've seen it with your other Mac, it may be a problem with the Intel display drivers, because my old Sandy Bridge mac mini with AMD card never exhibited this behavior. Out of curiosity, does it resolve the issue if you change display mirroring like it does for me? I use the display properties shortcut on the menu bar, see attached screenshot.

Untitled.jpg

The MacBook I tried before 13" MacBook pro retina (mid 2014), and two other displays as I use currently.
My current configuration is that I use a 4k monitor on the display port for normal work and an additional 1080p tv with the HDMI port. Often I use only one of them so this problem occurs rather often for me.
I use no display mirroring and when the mouse problem occurs it has no effect if I enable mirroring and disable it.
Another effect I have seen is that there are only problems if I turn off the HDMI TV.
E.g. I have both displays on, turn off the display port monitor (no problems), if I turn off the HDMI TV and turn on the display port monitor the problems with the mouse occur, if I now turn the HDMI TV also on again, so that both are on, the mouse move again normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back