Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry my display mirroring trick didn't work in your configuration, I had the thought that it might be working because the mirroring forces the displays to resynchronize their refresh rates but alas it didn't work for you. You mentioned use also saw this on the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina – that computer also used integrated intel video, if I'm not mistaken? Maybe it is a problem with the intel display driver.

I wonder if we can figure out an easier solution for this. For me, it takes about 6 to 8 seconds to switch my display configuration, and in your case the video port might take extra wear and tear from the plugging and unplugging. I tried your solution -- the unplugging and plugging back in -- and it does work for me as well. Have you considered a 2 Port HDMI switch, and pressing the button back-and-forth instead?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CUIVTO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The mouse issue occurs for me regardless of which attached screen I turn off, either the displayport or the HDMI one. In my case both are 1080p.

I know that this machine is capable of running two monitors off the display port using a splitter adapter, and I may try that to see if it works to resolve the mouse issue, however I know that would not work for you b/c you can't drive a 4K display simultaneously with another.

For anyone having problems with Ethernet or sleep/wake, I'd suggest trying the Mausi driver instead of the AppleIntelE1000e driver. I plan to switch the guide to that with the next MultiBeast release (which should include it).

And on the wake after shutdown issue, I found a combination of BIOS settings that fixed it for me for BIOS 352 (again, using the Mausi Ethernet driver).

Hi ammulder, I tried your suggestions but am still sometimes getting the shutdown issue on my NUC5i7RYH, which originally came with BIOS 0350. I have installed 512 GB Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD and 2 x 8 GB 1866Mhz Kingston HyperX Impact with CL11.

I originally configured the BIOS (0350) following the screen photos in the attached BIOSimages.zip (from the “BIOS Settings on the NUC” section of the guide) and my NUC would consistently reboot after about 2 seconds of shutdown.

I then followed your suggestion on post #345 and modified my BIOS Advanced / Power screen. Now my NUC would sometimes shutdown and I would be able to restart it by pressing a keyboard button or clicking the mouse. However, there are other times when my NUC won't even shutdown, but reboot instead. Prior to this change, my NUC would at least shutdown and the blue power light would go off for about 2 seconds before rebooting, but now the blue power light never goes off and my NUC immediately reboots instead.

I then followed your suggestion to try the Mausi driver instead of the AppleIntelE1000e driver, but I still occasionally get the issue where my NUC won't completely shutdown and immediately reboot instead.

After trying the above, I upgraded my BIOS to 0352 and tried the above methods again with the same results so BIOS 0352 made no difference to me. I then downgraded my BIOS to 0348 and tried the above methods again. On BIOS 348, the BIOS menu screen was scaled to half and centered. On BIOS 348, when my NUC would shutdown, it completely shutdown and I wouldn't be able to restart it by pressing a keyboard button or clicking the mouse. However, just like BIOS 0350 and 0352, my NUC would occassionally fail to shutdown and immediately reboot instead.

I think on my NUC5i7RYH when shutdown works, BIOS 0348 provides proper shutdown so that clicking mouse or pressing key doesn't restart the computer. BIOS 0350 and 0352 provides shutdown that acts like sleep so that clicking mouse or pressing key restarts the computer. However, I still face issues with shutdown on each BIOS... Following the Advanced/ Power section of the BIOS setting from BIOSImages.zip will restart my NUC after about 2 seconds of shutdown on each BIOS. Following the Advanced/Power section of the BIOS setting from post #345 will some times shutdown my NUC so it can be restarted by clicking mouse or pressing key, but other times immediately reboot without the blue power light turning off. Trying the Mausi driver didn't make a difference for me... I think its the Advanced / Power section of the BIOS that makes more of a difference.

Also, Bluetooth just works for me by enabling it in all three BIOS and pairing it in System Preference -> Bluetooth. I tested on Logitech Ultrathin Touch T630 and T631 wireless Bluetooth mouse as well as Apple Magic Keyboard.

I haven't tested 4K displays, but I tested on DELL 2408WFP, which is an old monitor, but has DP and HDMI. Audio works in front audio port and monitor audio output for mini-HDMI-to-HDMI and only front audio port for mini-DP-to-DP, which is to be expected. Color is better on mini-HDMI-to-HDMI than mini-DP-to-DP. So no issue when connecting to displays using mini-HDMI-to-HDMI and mini-DP-to-DP

I get 2 strange issues when I connect miniDP-to-HDMI, however.
- Audio started to drop (on YouTube video and mp4 video I played on QuickTime). I was able to get audio to work by going to System Preferences -> Sound and clicking the Input tab. So audio only works if Input tab is focused on Sound window and keep it open (and preferably minimized to the Dock).
- On reboot, I am unable to see the breaking Apple logo...it is just a black screen for about 12 seconds (which is the time it takes to load El Capitan on my NUC) and I see a progress bar that is usually under the Apple logo placed in the lower left until El Capitan login menu appears.

I haven't tried wifi via USB dongle or tried to get iMessage / FaceTime working yet.

Anybody else with NUC5i7RYH facing similar shutdown issues? I think I have to look into Rehabman's intel 7/8 series usb patch as I've run out of other options on the 5i7RYH. I don't know why my NUC occassionally fails to shutdown... I can't replicate it. I just find it strange that I can't resolve this shutdown issue when others have been able to by following the guide and suggestions on this post.

pls update.
i've got my nuc5i5myhe's shutdown issue fixed. just use Rehabman's intel 7/8 series usb patch and change GPRW(0x6D,0x04) to GPRW(0x6D,0x00) and it won't reboot after shutdown, and sleep works fine. it wakes when i click on my magic mouse.
BTW, DELL P2415Q works fine with DP.(its color sucks)

not a native speaker,i've tried my best

hi jqqqqqqqqqq, I am also interested in how you fixed the shutdown issue using Rehabman's intel 7/8 series usb patch. Is the link to the patch https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch? usb 7-series-multiplex.txt?

Can anybody else point me to the right direction? I am still facing shutdown issues on my NUC5i7RYH

no, it's actually the patch usb3 _PRW(0x6D) and rename XHC to XHC1, however you don't need to change XHC to XHC1. i suggest you to change it back after the patch applied

Sorry my display mirroring trick didn't work in your configuration, I had the thought that it might be working because the mirroring forces the displays to resynchronize their refresh rates but alas it didn't work for you. You mentioned use also saw this on the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina – that computer also used integrated intel video, if I'm not mistaken? Maybe it is a problem with the intel display driver.

I wonder if we can figure out an easier solution for this. For me, it takes about 6 to 8 seconds to switch my display configuration, and in your case the video port might take extra wear and tear from the plugging and unplugging. I tried your solution -- the unplugging and plugging back in -- and it does work for me as well. Have you considered a 2 Port HDMI switch, and pressing the button back-and-forth instead?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CUIVTO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The mouse issue occurs for me regardless of which attached screen I turn off, either the displayport or the HDMI one. In my case both are 1080p.

I know that this machine is capable of running two monitors off the display port using a splitter adapter, and I may try that to see if it works to resolve the mouse issue, however I know that would not work for you b/c you can't drive a 4K display simultaneously with another.

My MacBook Pro has also only an internal graphic chip. I would also say it has something to do with the display driver in OS X.
When I had this problem at that time I also searched the internet for any solution to this problem and found a few post which mentioned the same problem but no solution for this.

For me the unplugging of the HDMI port is the easiest and fastest workaround.
I have an HDMI switch at home (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0045T0JVC/?tag=tonymacx8603-21) and can try out if the use of the switch resolves the problem.

One last issue solved on my NUC, not with OSX but with the NUC hardware -- something about the shape of the NUC case makes it really hard for my Microsoft wireless keyboard usb transmitter to stay in contact with my wireless keyboard, regardless of whether the usb dongle is in the front or back USB ports. I found that putting it on a short extension cord, even a few inches, fixes this.

To make it look a little cleaner, I used a passthrough USB volt/amp meter I have to give it just a few inches of clearance from the NUC case, which fixed the connection issues. Interestingly, it barely tips the scales at 0.01 amps, barely at the threshold of any reading at all. Picture attached. You can see my NUC in the foreground, and my 7-port USB hub/ext hdds/dead 2011 Mac Mini in the bg.

photo 3.jpg

Hi,
can anyone please confirm if I can use this to install OSX on one Partition and Win10 on another and have the opportunity to boot to either one by selecting either one at boot up?

thank you

Hi,
can anyone please confirm if I can use this to install OSX on one Partition and Win10 on another and have the opportunity to boot to either one by selecting either one at boot up?

Yes, I am dual booting in this manner, and had no issues with the setup following the instructions in appendix B.

The Clover bootloader will allow you to select which OS you want to boot on start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back