Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9530 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you still have that list of steps, I would definitely be interested in it just in case there is some little thing that I did differently. Also I am sure new people coming in would like to have a more up to date list of steps instead of reading through the whole thread like I am sure most people (including me) have done.

I am aiming for a new deep dive into this during this coming weekend, hopefully I will find the issue then. I really do not want to update the BIOS, but as of now that is my only lead to what might be wrong so that is probably going to be my first step.
If you unlocked your Bios and your able to access the advanced menu in the Bios, I don't think updating your Bios will matter (I could be wrong).

I will post the steps this evening once I'm home from work.

If you still have that list of steps, I would definitely be interested in it just in case there is some little thing that I did differently. Also I am sure new people coming in would like to have a more up to date list of steps instead of reading through the whole thread like I am sure most people (including me) have done.

I am aiming for a new deep dive into this during this coming weekend, hopefully I will find the issue then. I really do not want to update the BIOS, but as of now that is my only lead to what might be wrong so that is probably going to be my first step.
try this :
https://github.com/AustinSMU/PRECISION-M3800-OSX/wiki/Unlocking-the-BIOS

hope this helps

Here is the compiled steps that I used that worked well for me. Hopefully this will get people over the hump as it did me.

# obviously the first step is to unlock your bios using the method in the darkvoid thread
# you should have advanced menu now. Next set the proper settings in the Bios according to the darkvoid thread.
# **** Except I used the 160 DVMT Pre-Allocated ****
git clone https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9530-OSX.git
# The thread I used to create the install media
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
# I added the HFSPlus.efi to drivers64UEFI
# And added both FakeSMC.kext & VoodooPS2Controller.kext to the other directory on the clover usb drive.
# I then migrated the contents of the clover folder of the darkvoid repo to the clover directory of the usb installation media.
# Install mac OSX to your desired partition
# download the "Command-line Developer Tools"
# upon first boot at clover prompt, hit F4 to dump ACPI tables
# At this point you need the repo you git cloned in your ~ folder
# Install the "Command-line Developer Tools"
# Next copy the dumped tables
diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1 # Your disk0s1 will/could be different, adjust as needed
cp /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/*.aml ~/XPS9530-OSX/DSDT/raw/
# Make sure you connect your internet usb dongle and have internet access to continue. Don't skip the --update
cd XPS9530-OSX/
./XPS9530.sh --update
./XPS9530.sh --decompile-dsdt
./XPS9530.sh --patch-dsdt
./XPS9530.sh --compile-dsdt
./XPS9530.sh --patch-hda
run kextutility
# Next we install clover to the OSX drive we installed OSX on with the following options:
Install for UEFI booting only
Install Clover in the ESP
Drivers64UEFI
OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
Install RC scripts on target volume
# I then copy the the contents of the clover dir from the xps9530 repo to the clover dir on the /Volumes/EFI of the OSX drive
cp ~/XPS9530-OSX/DSDT/compiled/*.aml /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
# remove caches just in case
sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*
sudo shutdown -r now

# To get bluetooth working I added BrcmPatchRAM2.kext & BrcmFirmwareData.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ and rerun kextutility

# Other Tip is if the md5sum don't match when trying to apply the pixelclock patch just use the perl script manually to patch the pixelclock. I think they match for the darkvoid repo, but not with the austin or the syscl repo
# You could also boot without caches (-f) first, and rebuild cache with
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u

Hello stannerz,
So i ask around at the github for mac pixel clock patcher and found a solution that worked for me and probably works for you aswell.
To solve this you need to restore the original CoreDisplay file (reinstall or something) and then delete the CoreDisplay.tbd in the /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/A/CoreDisplay.tbd as it's the reason why it never patched. Then patch the pixel clock again. That solved my blank screen blinking cursor at the top left and have full graphics acceleration. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks so much brianbass and sieula! I now finally got it working :). :clap:

I had the same problem as sieula, and after deleting the CoreDisplay.tbd the pixel patch worked and the boot issue was resolved.
Note to anyone that forgot to remove it and is in the same situation: the script creates a backup of the original CoreDisplay file (in /Sytem/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Current/CoreDisplay.bak) so you can just replace it with that to avoid having to re-install.

Also, to get bluetooth working I had to install the same kexts as Brianbass, and I also had to install CodecCommander (from the sys3800 repo) to get sound working after sleep. Other than that it seems my system is working perfectly :)

Good to hear that you got it working aswell. However, i'm having a problem, whenever i let the system sleep, the display never turn back on. On the other side, i'm having artifacts on my display. For instance, the apple logo/File/Edit/etc... sometimes display pink or green or if normal, black.

For what it is worth: I had the same sleep problem when using the wrong config.plist together with El Capitan.

I would suggest to make sure you are using the latest Sierra config.plist and make sure you correctly patched and applied the DSDT. (Did you remember to also run --update in the repo? It is very important as the repo references some sub-modules that also need to be cloned).

I have no problems with sleep or any screen artifacts with Sierra.

Good to hear that you got it working aswell. However, i'm having a problem, whenever i let the system sleep, the display never turn back on. On the other side, i'm having artifacts on my display. For instance, the apple logo/File/Edit/etc... sometimes display pink or green or if normal, black.

I have the same issue, were you able to fix it?

Also, my webcam light stays on after using it. I am on 10.11.6.

I have the same issue, were you able to fix it?

Also, my webcam light stays on after using it. I am on 10.11.6.

Your profile has no hardware details. Please fix as per FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back