Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will need to disable BootGuard first. Flashing a patched ME/BIOS image on top of the current configuration will result in a 'DXE Fail' error on startup, in effect semi-bricking the laptop.

There are some loopholes though, am currently investigating.

Just finished repasting with LiquidMetal Pad + heatsink lapping.
Minimal improvement in temps, not worth the effort, in my opinion.
~5/10C temp decrease in light workloads.
No benchmark scores improvement.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Idle (Ta = 30ºC):

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 13.42.11.png

Geekbench 4 run (Ta = 30ºC):

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 13.45.38.png

A worthwhile effort nonetheless. When we manage to increase the memory speed (which I'm working on next) there will be a need to optimise the (very poor) cooling on the underside of the 9360.

Cooling is not that bad. I think it's engineered with a precise criteria in mind.
When cooling a very thin laptop with aluminim chassis, you have to balance between cooling effectiveness and external body temperature, from both a handling comfort and battery lifetime perspective.
Heat has to go somewhere, and since this laptop is conceived to stay fanless 90% of operating time, it's better if the heat stays inside.
That's the reason I won't apply any thermal pad between bottom ICs and bottom aluminum lid.

@bozma88 @jkbuha Guys I might just royally screwed up. While replacing wifi card one of the wires came off with the piece of the 1535 card - It's so small i can't get it out of the clip. Is there something you can recommend me. Is it possible to get two wires replaced.

There's always the chance!
Seems to be stuck there really well :( It is the bt antenna. So good news is that wifi is working. I also have the bt adapter lying around that worked too. Might fix it later - people on ****** figured out the replacement part code- https://www.******.com/r/Dell/comments/6dz7mw/xps_9360_replacing_only_the_wireless_antenna_cable/

If it's just the bt antenna, then it can be replaced. If you're still under warranty I'd try to get the board/screen replaced for free (the antenna cable runs through the screen), but otherwise if you're feeling confident with a soldering block I'd try and do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back