Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bozma88 @jkbuha Guys I might just royally screwed up. While replacing wifi card one of the wires came off with the piece of the 1535 card - It's so small i can't get it out of the clip. Is there something you can recommend me. Is it possible to get two wires replaced.

Holy crap, i thot i was the only one! It happened to me too man! I tried to pick that stuck 1535 piece from my wifi antenna, but no luck. Assuming that u're replacing ur 1535 with the DW1560, what i did was to use the black antenna cable (supposed to be for bluetooth i guess) to my wifi socket on the DW1560. Bluetooth still works, tested by using airdrop, can't comment on the bluetooth range tho.

But yeah, just like what jbukha said, if it's under warranty, then maybe try to replace the whole screen. Returning the xps from australia to the US is too much of a hassle. :lol:

If the SMD connector broke and is stuck inside the antenna wire connector, just unclip it, replace the card, re-clip it.
It might be hard, but far from impossible.

If it's just the bt antenna, then it can be replaced. If you're still under warranty I'd try to get the board/screen replaced for free (the antenna cable runs through the screen), but otherwise if you're feeling confident with a soldering block I'd try and do it myself.
I got the antenna on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/372045177921 - and took my sweet time replacing it today. Installed works perfectly - no need to solder anything. I used https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Dell+XPS+13+Teardown/36157

Finally got round to installing the 1TB EVO.

@bozma88 - your TimeMachine tip worked flawlessly. Better than Superduper or CCC. Battery life is better (around 10-15%). However I'm not too happy with the SATA performance. Are you seeing similar numbers?

NOTE: Apparently the PCIe lanes are soft-locked (not hard-locked) to 2 instead of 4. If this is so it will should be unlockable via a UEFI patch or ME config setting. Will revert.

Attachments

• diskmark.png
    diskmark.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 129
Finally got round to installing the 1TB EVO.

@bozma88 - your TimeMachine tip worked flawlessly. Better than Superduper or CCC. Battery life is better (around 10-15%). However I'm not too happy with the SATA performance. Are you seeing similar numbers?

NOTE: Apparently the PCIe lanes are soft-locked (not hard-locked) to 2 instead of 4. If this is so it will should be unlockable via a UEFI patch or ME config setting. Will revert.

Same benchmarks as yours.
No discernible difference in performance during normal usage.
Fragmented data operations, along with CPU- and DISK-optimised applications, are what make a system fast.
Zero observed difference for me, except during large files reading/writing, that accounts for 1% of my common PC usage.
I totally love this drive, it's super power efficient (and SMART reporting works, too...).

.... Battery life is better (around 10-15%).

Hi @jkbuha, could you please be more specific regarding the battery life. How many hours/minutes you have with a typical/heavy use on the QHD version ?

@ALL is the coil whine touching 100% of XPS 13 devices ?

I'm asking these questions cause I'm thinking to go for a new XPS 13 9360 QHD...

Many thanks !

Hi @jkbuha, could you please be more specific regarding the battery life. How many hours/minutes you have with a typical/heavy use on the QHD version ?

@ALL is the coil whine touching 100% of XPS 13 devices ?

I'm asking these questions cause I'm thinking to go for a new XPS 13 9360 QHD...

Many thanks !

I'll speak for myself.
FHD here. No coil whine.
With SATA drive, I'm getting 8-10 hours of actual usage (chrome, numbers, pdf work with background streaming audio) at 100% screen brightness.
Heavy use (multimedia, installing software, software development), not less than 6h at 100% screen brightness.

thank you bozma, a perfect ultrabook. Almost.
Can’t wait for other answers related to the QHD version (I need the touch screen )

Many thanks guys !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back