Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9333 using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
newbie here, I got the USB pen driver ready but when I choose Boot OS X Install from OS X Install OS X Yosemite it just stays in a black screen. :banghead:

my laptop is the 9333 i5-4210u

Thanks in Advance

I haven't done a clean install since yosemite came out, but I think the guide in this thread should still work since gele77 just did a clean install without issue. Will appreciate if he can chime in if he had to do something specific that wasn't in the guide for his install, so I can update it.

I can see RehabMan is helping you boot the installer with his guide, so go with that if you're in the middle of it. However, a couple comments looking at the clover folder you posted:
- You're missing HFSPlus.efi, and didn't remove VboxHFS.efi from the drivers64uefi folder. That's step 2.25 in tonymac's guide referenced in the first post. (I actually don't know how you can even see the installer in clover since vboxhfs is disabled by my config.plist, but anyway).
- You have every single FakePCIID injector in your kexts folder. You should have at most 3 FakePCIID* kexts in there (refer step 2.22c in the first post).
- You are using an old config.plist file. It contains patches that I removed 3 weeks ago from my repo. This is not what's causing your issue, but might as well do it right since you'll copy that config file to your installation later.

Since you mention twice that you're new to this, I'll add the following:
- Go slow, read everything twice and make sure you're not missing things.. You will spend a lot longer trying to fix things afterwards than you will going slowly and carefully the first time round.
- If you intend to install OSX on your OEM SSD and keep your OEM windows install, you should read up on dual booting. This is not covered here; be careful what you do with the partitioning once you (hopefully) reach the OSX installer.

I haven't done a clean install since yosemite came out, but I think the guide in this thread should still work since gele77 just did a clean install without issue. Will appreciate if he can chime in if he had to do something specific that wasn't in the guide for his install, so I can update it.

I can see RehabMan is helping you boot the installer with his guide, so go with that if you're in the middle of it. However, a couple comments looking at the clover folder you posted:
- You're missing HFSPlus.efi, and didn't remove VboxHFS.efi from the drivers64uefi folder. That's step 2.25 in tonymac's guide referenced in the first post. (I actually don't know how you can even see the installer in clover since vboxhfs is disabled by my config.plist, but anyway).
- You have every single FakePCIID injector in your kexts folder. You should have at most 3 FakePCIID* kexts in there (refer step 2.22c in the first post).
- You are using an old config.plist file. It contains patches that I removed 3 weeks ago from my repo. This is not what's causing your issue, but might as well do it right since you'll copy that config file to your installation later.

- Go slow, read everything twice and make sure you're not missing things.. You will spend a lot longer trying to fix things afterwards than you will going slowly and carefully the first time round.
- If you intend to install OSX on your OEM SSD and keep your OEM windows install, you should read up on dual booting. This is not covered here; be careful what you do with the partitioning once you (hopefully) reach the OSX installer.

Thanks for the tip, I will try this again this week as my work schedule is 12hrs/day been in the medical field

The only thing that was not possible to follow in the guide was to chose "bluemac" as a theme in clover, it was not availble any more.

And once I forgot the HFSPlus.efi casuing clover to load, but not presenting any boot options.

Which version of BrcmPatchRam are you using? Try upgrading to the latest if you're running an older one, there were a few prior versions were the default firmware uploaded by the kext wasn't working properly.
If it's still not working afterwards, post the output of:
Code:
grep -i brcmpatch /var/log/system.log

(I'm assuming you've changed your intel wifi/bt card for the BCM94352Z card. If not, disregard all of the above).

I use BrcmPatchRAM_v1.7

this is what i get in syslog:

May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Version 1.7 starting on OS X Darwin 14.3.
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Retrieved firmware for firmware key "BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1674_v5770".
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Decompressed firmware (29372 bytes --> 69254 bytes).
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Firmware is valid IntelHex firmware.
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: [0930:0223]: USB [24FD528DE6A5 v274] "BCM20702A0" by "Broadcom Corp"
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: [0930:0223]: Firmware upgrade completed successfully.
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: [0930:0223]: Published new IOKit personality.
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Processing time 0.490 seconds.

The only thing that was not possible to follow in the guide was to chose "bluemac" as a theme in clover, it was not availble any more.

And once I forgot the HFSPlus.efi casuing clover to load, but not presenting any boot options.

Thanks for the feedback! Too bad about bluemac, I like this theme.. I'll update the guide and my config file if I ever get around to updating my (now ancient) version of clover.
I'll highlight the HFSPlus driver step in the first post since it's easy to miss.

I use BrcmPatchRAM_v1.7
this is what i get in syslog:
May 20 00:16:43 localhost kernel[0]: BrcmPatchRAM: Retrieved firmware for firmware key "BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1674_v5770".

Interesting that the latest kext is still uploading FW _v5770 for our card. I think that was the one that didn't work for me in previous versions, and the changelog in 1.7 said the FW for this BT module had been reverted to a previous one.

I still use 1.6.2 with a modified info.plist to inject FW _v5744 (I never got around to updating to the latest version since it worked fine this way). If you want to try this FW version, you need to edit the Info.plist in BrcmPatchRam kext. In the Info.plist, search for key 0930_0223 and modify the FirmwareKey value from:
BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1674_v5770
to:
BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1648_v5744

Give it a try and see if it fixes your BT issue; if it does, you should report it to the-darkvoid and RehabMan in their BrcmPathRam thread.

Edit: Uploading my modified version so you can do a quick test easily. Note that this is an older version, so it's not intended as a proper solution, just use it for testing.

Attachments

• BrcmPatchRAM.kext_1.6.2_mod_plist.zip
    1 MB · Views: 73
Interesting that the latest kext is still uploading FW _v5770 for our card. I think that was the one that didn't work for me in previous versions, and the changelog in 1.7 said the FW for this BT module had been reverted to a previous one.

I still use 1.6.2 with a modified info.plist to inject FW _v5744 (I never got around to updating to the latest version since it worked fine this way). If you want to try this FW version, you need to edit the Info.plist in BrcmPatchRam kext. In the Info.plist, search for key 0930_0223 and modify the FirmwareKey value from:
BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1674_v5770
to:
BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1648_v5744

Give it a try and see if it fixes your BT issue; if it does, you should report it to the-darkvoid and RehabMan in their BrcmPathRam thread.

Edit: Uploading my modified version so you can do a quick test easily. Note that this is an older version, so it's not intended as a proper solution, just use it for testing.

I'll be glad to make the change if it works out:
Code:
Speedy-OSX:brcmpatch.git RehabMan$ git diff
diff --git a/BrcmPatchRAM/Info.plist b/BrcmPatchRAM/Info.plist
index 945103a..596d931 100644
--- a/BrcmPatchRAM/Info.plist
+++ b/BrcmPatchRAM/Info.plist
@@ -274,7 +274,7 @@
                        <key>DisplayName</key>
                        <string>Toshiba NGFF (4352/20702A1)</string>
                        <key>FirmwareKey</key>
-                       <string>BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1674_v5770</string>
+                       <string>BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1648_v5744</string>
                        <key>IOClass</key>
                        <string>BrcmPatchRAM</string>
                        <key>IOMatchCategory</key>

good news!

It worked with your kext and 5744 FW!

In the latest Broadcom windows driver package the firmware file used for 0930:0223 is "BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1674.hex".

This is the reason why I have included it in BrcmPatchRAM. Per device I use whatever is used in the Windows driver.

For me personally this firmware is working fine on my Toshiba NGFF 4352.

In the latest Broadcom windows driver package the firmware file used for 0930:0223 is "BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1674.hex".

This is the reason why I have included it in BrcmPatchRAM. Per device I use whatever is used in the Windows driver.

For me personally this firmware is working fine on my Toshiba NGFF 4352.

Wierd. Currently checked in (in my fork) is 'BCM20702A1_001.002.014.1483.1648_v5744' for 0930_0223

Maybe some merge snafu... Edit: Confirmed. For some reason this didn't come with a merge... I will sync mine to yours

Big edit: Not a merge snafu.. I must have already made this change above (in my local copy based on this thread). I wonder if there needs to be some sort of subdevice-id matching going on here....

--

Note: Do you want me to submit a pull for the other change I have? (add 03f0_231d).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back