Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 17R - 7720 SE - Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've filled all.
BTW: I don't have Mac, I'm using virtual machine - VMWare Player with Mac Os El Capitane.

VMs often create invalid USB installers. Use real hardware to create your USB.

Hi, guys!

Thanks for your useful forum and posts and especially this incredible Guide!
Mac OS X is needed for sound making software (Logic X Pro, MainStage, GarageBand), so I don't really need Wi-Fi and other options, gonna buy WLAN+BT later.

My system configuration:
Dell Inspiron 7720-6167
CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM
Chipset: Intel HM77 Express
Video: HD4000 + Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 130W 2GB
SSD: 120GB OCZ Trion
RAM: 8192MB (2x4096) 1600MHz DDR3
Display: 17.3" 1920x1080
Wireless: Intel 2230 WLAN

I've installed Original Yosemite image from App Store on Dell Inspiron 7720-6167 using:
USB bootable made with Unibeast 5.2.0 (Chimera legacy w/ laptop support)
Installation completes just almost perfect on my 120GB SSD.
I can start bootloader from USB and load Yosemite just good out of box.
I only install voodooHDA for sound.

But post-install make some problems to me.
1. I can't make bootloader on SSD, only boot from USB Drive and choose SSD to load Mac OS because
2. I try to make post-install with Multibeast Yosemite Edition 7.5.0 and different options
(with and without bootloader, Easy Start, UserDTST, DTST Free...)
but every time have kernel panic and I have to backup my system via Carbon Copy Cloner.

So my questions:
1a. How can I copy bootloader from USB Flash Drive to SSD? or
1b. What is default settings of Unibeast so I make same settings in Multibeast Yosemite Edition 7.5.0 like Unibeast 5.2.0?
2. In what sequence I have to install DSDT, SSDT & SSDT-1 and what software is the best to do it?
3. Is Multibeast Yosemite Edition 7.5.0 the best option for me to make post-install?

My problem solved.
I've installed kexts with Kext Beast-2.0.1 instead of Kext Wizard (errors is target disk: item2 item3).
And I've made bootloader with Chameleon Wizard, then update it with MultiBeast

Then made auto-boot:
open org.chameleon.boot.plist in /Extra folder with text edit.
Find this key
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>yes</string>
and replace with
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>

Just to add, I'm now running Sierra on this laptop. There aren't many problems with it and it is much faster than Yosemite was. Ill start a new post with the details when I get everything I need sorted.

Just to add, I'm now running Sierra on this laptop. There aren't many problems with it and it is much faster than Yosemite was. Ill start a new post with the details when I get everything I need sorted.

Is Sierra still working ok on this?

I have one of these laptops - Inspiron 17R SE - and am considering going the Hackintosh route on it.

Thank you miha77, this guide worked perfectly for installing 10.10.5 on my Inspiron 17R SE.

Using BIOS revision A15 here, which seems to be working ok.

Is Sierra still working ok on this?

I have one of these laptops - Inspiron 17R SE - and am considering going the Hackintosh route on it.

Sierra works fine but you must use clover. The same issues that applied to Yosemite also apply to Sierra although it does seem to be a little faster. I think that trial and error of the various kexts for the problem areas will make it a reasonably stable machine. I am still going through variations of what works well and what doesn't in that regard. Siri works well, I've lost my camera function, you have to change your wifi card, the trackpad is crap (but you already know that, it's crap in windows too), audio is a little low on volume,...a couple of other things that don't bother me. Overall I'm pleased with the performance.

Awesome. :)

Personally, I don't use the wifi anyway (too slow), so that's not a problem. Bought a USB3<->1GbE adapter (AX88179 based) for wired connection, which seems good. ~70MB/s sustained transfer rates.

For audio, using a USB headset (working ok).

Not using the inbuilt the keyboard/trackpad. Instead, using a separate keyboard, tablet, and a 2nd monitor.

I'll give Sierra a shot at a later date, now you've mentioned the Clover thing. When I was first attempting to Hackintosh this thing I didn't realise that the USB port on the front right side gets treated differently from the one on the front left side. ;)

The USB stick I have wouldn't UEFI boot (was using the front right side port), so went with the Legacy mode.

Only discovered later on (accidentally) that the same USB stick boots UEFI fine... when plugged into front left USB port.

Seems a bit weird, but I guess it's just the way the internal's are wired together in the laptop.

Sierra works fine but you must use clover.

Had a go at installing Sierra on this yesterday, but didn't get very far at all. Creating the installer worked fine (using Unibeast 7.0.1 & Sierra downloaded from the Apple Store). But, couldn't get the install GUI to display on boot. The things would appear to do the initial loading... then the screen switch would happen (like it's going to graphical mode), but no installer GUI comes up.

Tried various things - eg using -x -v (Safe mode, verbose boot) - which allowed the install to work on Yosemite. No dice with Sierra. Then went through and tried a random selection of other things... no difference either. Reading through the Sierra installation guide again now... nothing really seems to cover.

When attempting the install, I tried both with and without an external (HDMI) monitor attached. Unlike with the Yosemite install, the external monitor never came on.

Anyway... did you need to do anything special for the Sierra installer, or did it "just work"?

Wondering if my older BIOS (A15) might need updating, just in case. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back