Contribute
Register

(GUIDE) Dell Inspiron 15 7573 - Catalina 10.15.7 - OC 0.6.0 | I7-8550U - 4K - UHD 620 - BEST 100% Simple SETUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a fix for the headphones. I had it working with these same settings when I had clover but opencore killed codeccommander. Our proper audio codec is 13, not 77. You'll have to redownload AppleALC & move the alc-verb exec to usr/local/bin. Run the install.sh from the ALCPlugFix folder I've provided & Reboot. Afterwards, run
alc-verb 0x19 0x707 0x24 & alc-verb 0x1a 0x707 0x20 in your terminal and you should be good to go :). Make sure to apply the audio-related changes from my plist file. This should work for every reader here with Inspiron models of our generation with the ALC3254/ALC95 codec. Also included is an aml file that turns the prtscrn key into a functional F13 key which can then be used as a shortcut.

So Dell includes numerous Fn key secondary shortcuts. Most of them that would translate to macOS work natively. You guys should try them to see if they work. But the power-related ones would put my device into this really odd instantaneous sleep state that would sometimes require a reboot. Now it works with the included fn-insert.aml & it's companion DSDT patch. Pressing fn+insert now puts it to sleep like it's supposed to & crtl+insert brings up the dialog box which lets you pick between power states. I also disabled the GPU entirely because I'm convinced it was subtly turning on at some point during sleep or wake resulting in this abysmal battery life & standby time. Seems to have improved things, I think. Here are the files, I hope this helps somebody.
once I fix the audio plug. ill redo the guide and give you your credits as a profound contributor. thanks man

@Mrgeque Thank you so much for this setup! Not asking for help just yet, but I just wanted to say thanks and let you know what I'm working on:

I'm working with my Dell Inspiron 13 7378 and with your EFI, I was actually able to boot and install Catalina after just changing the SMBIOS.

Not working (so far)

- NOW WORKING - Sound (ALC3253) - Currently fiddling with layout-id settings (layout-id 0C000000 did the trick)
- Wifi - I've ordered a BCM94360NG and am waiting for it, so hopefully that should work as-is

Once I get Wifi and sound going, I'll start testing the other features to see what else is different, but the basic stuff (touchscreen, touchpad, graphics) just works.

Next steps after wifi and sound:

- Update OC to 0.6.3 for Big Sur support
- Update to Big Sur

Before I dive too deep into the next steps, are you thinking about an update to OC 0.6.3 at any point?
thanks for your feedback. Opencore 0.6.0 boots Big Sur without issue with my EFI. only thing you'll have to set refresh rate to 48hz if you're using a 4k laptop screen. which @sebasinparis has a preconfigured plist with edid patch to achieve this. updating open core is fore those who would like to use more secure features. im fine here for now

thanks for your feedback. Opencore 0.6.0 boots Big Sur without issue with my EFI. only thing you'll have to set refresh rate to 48hz if you're using a 4k laptop screen. which @sebasinparis has a preconfigured plist with edid patch to achieve this. updating open core is fore those who would like to use more secure features. im fine here for now

Ahh that makes sense - Once I get this thing up and running (with wifi and a new battery that I ordered), I plan to ship it off to my daughter in another country, so I'll take a shot at upgrading just to future-proof it a bit for her.

I found a 7560 EFI running OC 0.6.3 that also seems to work for me, so I might try to reconcile them to come up with something complete. I haven't tested any of the extra features like power management etc, so I'll no doubt have to do some tweaking. We'll see.

Thanks again for your the guide!

There's a fix for the headphones. I had it working with these same settings when I had clover but opencore killed codeccommander. Our proper audio codec is 13, not 77. You'll have to redownload AppleALC & move the alc-verb exec to usr/local/bin. Run the install.sh from the ALCPlugFix folder I've provided & Reboot. Afterwards, run
alc-verb 0x19 0x707 0x24 & alc-verb 0x1a 0x707 0x20 in your terminal and you should be good to go :). Make sure to apply the audio-related changes from my plist file. This should work for every reader here with Inspiron models of our generation with the ALC3254/ALC95 codec. Also included is an aml file that turns the prtscrn key into a functional F13 key which can then be used as a shortcut.

So Dell includes numerous Fn key secondary shortcuts. Most of them that would translate to macOS work natively. You guys should try them to see if they work. But the power-related ones would put my device into this really odd instantaneous sleep state that would sometimes require a reboot. Now it works with the included fn-insert.aml & it's companion DSDT patch. Pressing fn+insert now puts it to sleep like it's supposed to & crtl+insert brings up the dialog box which lets you pick between power states. I also disabled the GPU entirely because I'm convinced it was subtly turning on at some point during sleep or wake resulting in this abysmal battery life & standby time. Seems to have improved things, I think. Here are the files, I hope this helps somebody.
where do I apply the audio changes from plist file?
@sebasinparis my laptop already puts to sleep when I press fn+insert and dialog box already comes up when I press ctrl+insert without the aml files.
thanks for the helpful info and all of your contributions. ill be sure to add your credits

Last edited:
@Mrgeque
Do you have any idea how to get the headphone mic working? Cuz when I plug in my headphones, system preferences still indicate as internal mic

Edit: Also, how can you get the brightness buttons working?
to get native brightness keys to work, you need to delete and disable ssdt-brt6, then you need to install ssdt-SMEE along with its ACPI patch.

where do I apply the audio changes from plist file?
@sebasinparis my laptop already puts to sleep when I press fn+insert and dialog box already comes up when I press ctrl+insert without the aml files.
thanks for the helpful info and all of your contributions. ill be sure to add your credits
13 as your alc-layout-id in device properties & alc-verbs=1 in your boot-args. No problem

@sebasinparis @Mrgeque
Is there a way to set f1, f2, etc keys as fn+f keys? Right now there's no button to do that in my system preferences and I have to hold the fn key to adjust volume and other multi-media stuff.

Edit: Nvm, I got that fixed.

Last edited:
to get native brightness keys to work, you need to delete and disable ssdt-brt6, then you need to install ssdt-SMEE along with its ACPI patch.
how do I get the ACPI patch for SSDT-SMEE?

how do I get the ACPI patch for SSDT-SMEE?
It's on post #23. Like he said, first delete ssdt-brt6 & it's companion patch. Then here's what you need, make sure to let us know if it worked.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
@sebasinparis @Mrgeque
Is there a way to set f1, f2, etc keys as fn+f keys? Right now there's no button to do that in my system preferences and I have to hold the fn key to adjust volume and other multi-media stuff.
It should be in your bios, assuming we have similar ones since your laptop is mine's little brother. There are settings there relevant to fn options & I've done exactly that before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back