Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 13 5378 (2-in-1) - MacOS 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea... I don't have the laptop.
But you could easily use setup_var after the BIOS update to see if the values stuck.

changed the values back to 0x0 and it seemed to work. OP is correct in saying that they persist through updates, but as one of them disables SpeedStep in windows I would not recommend changing them, esp. because less destructive alternatives exist.

haye to bother but there is a lot of updates that probably should update this guide vs going through 21 pages.

changed the values back to 0x0 and it seemed to work. OP is correct in saying that they persist through updates, but as one of them disables SpeedStep in windows I would not recommend changing them, esp. because less destructive alternatives exist.
t

Laptop seems to be working well. However, if I use it in clamshell mode with an external HDMI monitor, I can't get the screen to turn back on when opening the laptop. Also, it doesn't seem to sleep when I shut the lid, but it does manage to wake up when I open it. Any fixes come to mind for either of these issues? Also would like to smooth out the trackpad scrolling, works with two fingers and is very good for normal cursor movement but two finger scrolling is hit or miss, jerky sometimes. That's the smallest of issues though, don't care too much.

Attachments

• debug_6686.zip
    2 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Laptop seems to be working well. However, if I use it in clamshell mode with an external HDMI monitor, I can't get the screen to turn back on when opening the laptop.

Also, it doesn't seem to sleep when I shut the lid,

You neglected to implement backlight control:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.232976/

Also, read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-some-unsolved-problems-in-10-12-sierra.202316/

Still working through this laptop. I have enough working for general use but not enough to call it fully working. Currently I need to get better audio vs the voodoo had kext. I can patch successfully using the hda patch tool but can’t figure out how to enable. Next I have a video issue where using the MultiBeast intel fix will disable video on the panel in favor of onlybthe hdmi port.

I -think- everything else works but not fully sure. No issues with rest of hardwhere om using.

I need to learn how to compile and apply a correct DSDT so reading and reading and reading. Hoping to get my first hack laptop working so I can do this again in the future.

This is challenging to state mildly as not know all the inner workings of macOS make it hard to get right. I’m learning a lot. It’s also making me think about how to document complicated processes and technical concepts in my line of work as I often hear following documentation and guides are too difficult and take more time than it should for a guide.

Many thanks. Works perfectly.

For HDMI audio, do you recommend this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-hdmi-audio-guide.234735/

If yes, I assume you endorse the FakePCIID method first? I tried it and messed up my config.plist. I believe "
  • ACPI/DSDT/Patches/ (change GFX0 to IGPU, all Intel HD Graphics)
Is already enabled in my config.
For:
  • Devices/AddProperties (IntelGFX/hda-gfx=onboard-1 for HDMI audio, all Intel HD Graphics)
That is found in config_HD615... .plist?

Was mainly confused about what

• KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch/ (HDMI audio, ... 0x ..., 0x ..., framebuffer patch, all Intel HD Graphics)
was supposed to mean? Do I simply add the screenshotted items? IF yes, they should be enabled, correct?

Attachments

• debug_28525.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 12.46.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 12.46.24 PM.png
    201.8 KB · Views: 127
Many thanks. Works perfectly.

For HDMI audio, do you recommend this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/applehda-hdmi-audio-guide.234735/

If yes, I assume you endorse the FakePCIID method first? I tried it and messed up my config.plist. I believe "
  • ACPI/DSDT/Patches/ (change GFX0 to IGPU, all Intel HD Graphics)
Is already enabled in my config.
For:
  • Devices/AddProperties (IntelGFX/hda-gfx=onboard-1 for HDMI audio, all Intel HD Graphics)
That is found in config_HD615... .plist?

Was mainly confused about what

• KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch/ (HDMI audio, ... 0x ..., 0x ..., framebuffer patch, all Intel HD Graphics)
was supposed to mean? Do I simply add the screenshotted items? IF yes, they should be enabled, correct?

Only enable the KextToPatch entries you actually need.
Read here for background:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-sandy-ivy-haswell-broadwell-skylake.232996/

Compiled and patched a native DSDT finally! Ironically I don’t see much difference. I removed intelfixup kext to see if the panel video will show but no help. Video is accelerated but only HDMI shows. There has to be something to it or I can’t be the only one with the issue unless I’m the only one using High Sierra vs sierra.

Compiled and patched a native DSDT finally! Ironically I don’t see much difference. I removed intelfixup kext to see if the panel video will show but no help. Video is accelerated but only HDMI shows. There has to be something to it or I can’t be the only one with the issue unless I’m the only one using High Sierra vs sierra.

You will need to describe your issue with details.
And you will need to attach PR files.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Ok cool, that script is quite good. Attached the PR files from the script.

Here are the issues I'm having:

Internal Panel has no screen but responds as a poor touch screen. I can't detect it as a monitor nor run any video through it when hdmi is not plugged in.

Audio is screwed up (using Voodoo now.) Using the ALC225. I have made attempts to patch, no luck.

Patched DSDT with audio layout 2, moved native stuff over from the dump/compile into the patched dir.

I'm using some of the kexts for battery, ps2 (for keyboard and trackpad,) bluetooth, wifi, and USB. These appear to work and I'm not having any difficulty that I can tell here.

Video is accelerated but only on HDMI on external monitor (not good for a laptop on the go.)

I've learned a lot having debugged this. Hoping to understand a bit more so I can troubleshoot laptops if I hack another.

You will need to describe your issue with details.
And you will need to attach PR files.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• debug_4210.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back