Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 13 5378 (2-in-1) - MacOS 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran the patcher and it created successful files with an unpatched AppleHDA. I tried installing as indicated but nothing worked. I had some trouble following the instructions a bit as they seemed to be conflicting or I couldn’t understand the exact intent.

I’ll keep on it but something is missing.

Wow I will try that out! Sounds very promising.

Bigger issue when I took the laptop for the hackathon. No screen when not plugged into an external monitor. Looks like a graphics patch issue. Laptops for hacks sure are challangeing for sure. This also usb might not be setup right and I catch a few messages on boot. Will look at the usb inject guide.

Anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot the touch screen video? I could care less about the touch but video is needs on the road obviously. I do have the intel injection and the HDMI port works with accelerated video. The “touch” side works but as a trackpad with no video.

Also audio works ok with latest voodohda. Not important enough to spend time on for this use case. I lack experience in working with custom DSDT so skipping. I exported and dissembled but no idea what to do with it nor do I get the guide. If that’s the answer to solving the video problem then I’ll bail on this one.

Bigger issue when I took the laptop for the hackathon. No screen when not plugged into an external monitor. Looks like a graphics patch issue. Laptops for hacks sure are challangeing for sure. This also usb might not be setup right and I catch a few messages on boot. Will look at the usb inject guide.

EFI Patches using EFI_Shell:
You will need to prepare a USB as FAT32, with one folder named /EFI. Copy the BOOT directory to /EFI. After that you can boot from that USB device.

You will be greeted with a black screen with some white text (it should say something like GRUB UEFI at the top) and you will need to pass the assertions below at the grub prompt.

Code:
grub> setup_var 0x496 0x2
grub> setup_var 0x76D 0x2

After you do that, DVMT will be set properly for MacOS graphics and Intel SpeedShift will be enabled.

I have also kept the FrameBuffer hack in config.plist if you are not comfortable with hacking your BIOS. I do recommend using EFI_Shell to edit the assertions, since it persists through BIOS updates and keeps the config.plist cleaner.​

So, I followed the instructions in this guide, the laptop is working great on High Sierra. However...

I reinstalled Windows 10 (clean install) and it overheats badly (on Windows only). Usually I can't do anything with it - it gets to the desktop and shuts itself off. While I'm aware that this can be cause by dust, I had no issues like it on my previous install of Windows. The only thing that I changed that could affect windows would be the EFI patches, correct? If so, the original values should be 0x00 and 0x00, correct?

Anything else I should be troubleshooting regarding the Windows overheating? Just weird that it dies instantly on Windows now.

Doesn’t sound like anything to do with macOS honestly.

I hate to ask how you got your internal panel to display video? Struggling with it.

So, I followed the instructions in this guide, the laptop is working great on High Sierra. However...

I reinstalled Windows 10 (clean install) and it overheats badly (on Windows only). Usually I can't do anything with it - it gets to the desktop and shuts itself off. While I'm aware that this can be cause by dust, I had no issues like it on my previous install of Windows. The only thing that I changed that could affect windows would be the EFI patches, correct? If so, the original values should be 0x00 and 0x00, correct?

Anything else I should be troubleshooting regarding the Windows overheating? Just weird that it dies instantly on Windows now.

EFI Patches using EFI_Shell:
You will need to prepare a USB as FAT32, with one folder named /EFI. Copy the BOOT directory to /EFI. After that you can boot from that USB device.

You will be greeted with a black screen with some white text (it should say something like GRUB UEFI at the top) and you will need to pass the assertions below at the grub prompt.

Code:
grub> setup_var 0x496 0x2
grub> setup_var 0x76D 0x2

After you do that, DVMT will be set properly for MacOS graphics and Intel SpeedShift will be enabled.

I have also kept the FrameBuffer hack in config.plist if you are not comfortable with hacking your BIOS. I do recommend using EFI_Shell to edit the assertions, since it persists through BIOS updates and keeps the config.plist cleaner.​

CPU PM is already working due to config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true.

Note: Generate/APLF Generate/APSN should be false.

Rehabman, I have a question about the BIOS edits above that I think you can answer. Do they actually apply through BIOS updates, and if so, is there an organized process to reverting them?

I made the edits suggested - now I am faced with an install of Windows that overheats badly and often has to thermal shutdown (hwinfo says Speedshift not enabled) and the laptop thermal shutdowns when I run the onboard diagnostics (through the setup menu, without loading an OS). I suspect the BIOS edits that I made are the culprit.

I made the edits when I was on BIOS 1.20. When I installed Windows 10, I updated the BIOS to 1.23 immediately, so I can't say for sure whether it overheated on the version that was edited. It definitely overheats now, and I've updated the BIOS once more with no help.

How can I best revert this laptop to its state before I touched the BIOS? Do I need to provide a BIOS dump of what I'm running currently? If so, what program should I use?

Thanks for your time - I followed your guides for Clover, etc to the letter to get this Hackintosh working, and to my surprise, got it to work without needing to post any questions. I did notice one thermal related shutdown on High Sierra, so I think the issue is a global one.

Rehabman, I have a question about the BIOS edits above that I think you can answer. Do they actually apply through BIOS updates, and if so, is there an organized process to reverting them?

No idea... I don't have the laptop.
But you could easily use setup_var after the BIOS update to see if the values stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back