Contribute
Register

[Guide] Broadwell HD5500 Setting DVMT in InsydeH20 BIOS Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this modified the UEFI in the harrdrive or BIOS in ROM ?? is it safe ??

So is this modified the UEFI in the harrdrive or BIOS in ROM ??

This is changing "hidden" BIOS settings that are not available from the BIOS settings provided by the OEM.

is it safe ??

Not necessarily. Done incorrectly, or if the setting turns out to be incompatible with the computer, it could "brick" it.

Hi!

I have an Acer Aspire E5-573 with an Intel HD 5500 (Broadwell GT2).

If I can apply the patch with Clover minStole patch, why I could want to mod my BIOS with this guide?

I mean, there's is some benefits modding the BIOS than using the Clover patch?

What I should try first? Clover Patch or modding the BIOS?

I'm having some problems with my Intel HD 5500 in Sierra, that's not happened in El Capitan, so I'm looking for some alternatives.

Thanks!

Hi!

I have an Acer Aspire E5-573 with an Intel HD 5500 (Broadwell GT2).

If I can apply the patch with Clover minStole patch, why I could want to mod my BIOS with this guide?

I mean, there's is some benefits modding the BIOS than using the Clover patch?

What I should try first? Clover Patch or modding the BIOS?

I'm having some problems with my Intel HD 5500 in Sierra, that's not happened in El Capitan, so I'm looking for some alternatives.

Thanks!

There may be instability without DVMT-prealloc set as required.
(the assertion is probably in the kext for good reason).

How to change DVMT value in InsydeH20 BIOS WITHOUT messing up your system.

1. Enter the BIOS setup typing F2 at boot;
2. Press Fn+Tab;
3. Press F10 to Save and Exit;
4. Re-enter the BIOS setup typing F2 at boot;

You should see an Advanced Tab, navigate this and go to Video Configuration > Internal Graphic Device > Set IGD - DVMT Pre-Allocated to 96MB.

Remember that every time you have to access this Advanced Tab again, you should repeat the 1-4 steps above.

You can use this tab to change other things in your BIOS.

Good luck!

HI I'm little bit stuck with the procedure on this guide, I'm unable to find the FE3542FE entry on a dell xps13 9360. When I use the BIOS from dell's site it as no DXE CORE folder, so i try to get the actual BIOS from my machine using Universal BIOS backuo tool, i got a rom, file , use phoeniz tool to extract the structure and I do see the DXE CORE, get the PE32 but then I cant find the FE3542FE entry.
The structure is DXE CORE/GUID defined section (new image)/PE32 . Other user reported the "new image" can mean a problem.
I have tryed several similar named entries on UNiversal EFi extractor and I always get the red banner saying "unknown protocol " or somethign lieke that.
so I reinstalled the BIOS just to fresh start but got same results.
So my question (s) are:
Doe it have to be that FE3542FE specific file? should i look for another file or size?
Its there another way to dump BIOS from the machine appart from Universal Bios backup tool?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
HI I'm little bit stuck with the procedure on this guide, I'm unable to find the FE3542FE entry on a dell xps13 9360. When I use the BIOS from dell's site it as no DXE CORE folder, so i try to get the actual BIOS from my machine using Universal BIOS backuo tool, i got a rom, file , use phoeniz tool to extract the structure and I do see the DXE CORE, get the PE32 but then I cant find the FE3542FE entry.
The structure is DXE CORE/GUID defined section (new image)/PE32 . Other user reported the "new image" can mean a problem.
I have tryed several similar named entries on UNiversal EFi extractor and I always get the red banner saying "unknown protocol " or somethign lieke that.
so I reinstalled the BIOS just to fresh start but got same results.
So my question (s) are:
Doe it have to be that FE3542FE specific file? should i look for another file or size?
Its there another way to dump BIOS from the machine appart from Universal Bios backup tool?

This is what I did for XPS 9360, Bios: 1.3.5

1. Backup the bios with Universal Bios Backup Toolkit v 2.0.
With the new version of Bios, I don't think we can extract the bios ROM file from the install-able file from dell website. You can open the bios exe file (XPS_9360_1.3.5.exe) with Universal Bios Backup toolkit but it does not get fully extracted. Phoenixtool does not show the DXE CORE in the extracted BIOS. The Sierra Guide for XPS 9360 Long term support mentions the same thing.

2. Open the Bios with Phoenixtool. Do the step with locating the DXE CORE and extracting the bios.

3. Sort the ROM files in the DUMP folder which was created by Phoenixtool. For the ROM files except the ones named like PADDING*, try opening each one with IFR extractor starting with the largest file first. Ignore the ones' which says unknown or unknown protocol. Some will get successfully extracted. Save them with .txt extension.

4. for the successfully extracted ROM files, look for DVMT in those files. I found DVMT in 899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21_387 IFR.txt

5. Follow the rest of the procedure from the main post.

I got error that GUID did not match while updating the variable. I have not started to install macos so need to verify that update was success.

I hope this helps.

I can't find the DMVT variable after extracting the BIOS data, attaching file.

Attachments

• Variable extract.txt
    1.4 MB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back